Gun criminals are not getting serious jail time, why would that be if they want to stop gun crime?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Here is another report on how little jail time actual criminals who use guns get. This is the problem...if you don't lock up gun criminals, they get out and shoot people.

Why is it that the very people who complain about gun violence...prosecutors and judges....don't give long prison sentences to gun criminals? If I believed in conspiracies, I would think it is because they want the violence...they want the dead bodies, so that they can push gun control. If gun crimnials are put away for 20 years...they can't shoot people and the gun violence rate goes down, and so does the emotion to push gun control...

I-Team: gun arrest doesn't always mean jail time

The I-TEAM reviewed 90 cases in Cuyahoga County from 2014. We specifically looked at cases with the most serious charge being for a concealed weapon or having a weapon as a felon or improper handling of a gun. We did not look at cases involving a gun used to rob or shoot someone.

In the cases we checked, about half of those facing charges got probation. Only about a third got locked up, and some only got time served for a few days spent in jail while under investigation.

The I-TEAM also found some of the people getting probation for gun charges have been busted for trouble on your streets before. Or, others ended up wanted by authorities after getting probation for a gun.

The Cleveland Police Union President says officers get frustrated. Loomis said, “Yeah, we got a gun off the street…but is that the only goal here? They can easily go get another one.”

Judge Nancy Russo points out prosecutors often make deals with suspects and that limits what judges can do at sentencing. Russo said, “Most of these cases come in as plea bargains. So if the case comes in at one charge, but the prosecutor decides to plea bargain, at that time the judge must sentence only on what the plea bargain is.”

In fact, the I-TEAM has noticed many of these cases involved plea bargains or reduced gun charges.

The Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office points out that no one charged in these cases gets a gun back.

What did the cop say.......

The Cleveland Police Union President says officers get frustrated. Loomis said, “Yeah, we got a gun off the street…but is that the only goal here? They can easily go get another one.”

The most effective gun control.......lock up criminals and convicted felons who use or possess guns......don't let them out......

Is that so hard to get.....or do the prosecutors and judges want them back on the streets?

Forum List

Back