Guitar Solos

Dan said:
Joe Satriani is a great soloist. I've only heard a few of his songs, I'm sure Sir Evil will have a lot to say about him, I remember him being a fan of his.

I never even heard of him until the wife introduced me to his new album. Incredible licks!

gop_jeff said:
I never even heard of him until the wife introduced me to his new album. Incredible licks!
:eek2: :shocked:
Have you heard of Eric Johnson???

Did you know....
that Kirk Hammet (lead guitar for Metallica) was a student of Joe Satriani

What, in your opinion, is the greatest guitar solo of all time?

My vote is Eddie Van Halen's "Eruption." Un-freakin-believable.

The problem is the guitar lends itself to so many divergent types of play, both acoustic and electric, that it's impossible to narrow it down to just one.

Finger Picking - Leo Kottke "Vaseline Machine Gun"

Rock - Focus "Hocus Pocus"

Jazz Fusion - Larry Carlton "Point It Up"

Eruption is mindblowing for its display of pytrotechnics and technique. But, I never got down with it as a piece of musical composition. It adds nothing to a song, there’s a lot of wanking around in it, and what the f is that little Lone Ranger and Tonto cowboy western-genre riff he plays in the middle of it??? Cheese factor equal to ten!

This is a solo that is extremely groovy in terms of phrasing and composition….this dude is overshadowed by Peart and Geddy Lee, but Lifeson is a totally under rated guitarist and this solo is a feast of phrasing and composition

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtWxyRi8mwY&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Rush La Villa Strangiato live Pink Pop Festival[/ame]

i have heard Gary Moore rip out some good stuff.....

K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest.....some good stuff

Michael Schenker....w. UFO....

Richie Blackmore w. Deep Purple....

Forum List

Back