"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and "The Fosters": Compare and Contrast

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
I have been watching on Netflix a show called "The Fosters", which is about a mixed family led by a lesbian couple, who have had naturally, adopted and fostered five children. The show was originally aired on the ABC Family Network.

I wanted to compare and contrast how the show deals with the Catholic Church, with how "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" dealt with the Catholic Church, because it shows that the same-sex marriage issue is not at all similar to the mixed race marriage issue, though LGBT advocates have tried to convince us that it is.

In "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner", a white woman brings her black fiance home, and the entire movie is about how the white parents and the black parents will either approve or disapprove of the marriage.

The thing about this movie is that a Catholic priest is a major character, and during the movie he shows approval of the mixed couple, and gives a big lecture to the white father who disapproves.

Contrast this with the Fosters, the portrayal of the Catholic Church is very negative because the Church disapproves of same sex marriage, and because of this, the lesbian couple forbid their Hispanic adopted daughter from being baptized in the Catholic Church. In fact, the lesbian couple appear to disapprove of all Christianity, because it has this belief that homosexuality is sinful.

I'm not sure what Disney is trying to accomplish here (they are the ultimate owners of this show), but the message I got was clear. As a Catholic, I am the enemy of homosexuals, and homosexuals are my enemy, and there is no compromise possible.

Is that really the message the runners of this show were trying to convey? Because it's very divisive to hold an entire religion in scorn, and to tell homosexuals, Catholics are your enemy, and to tell Catholics, homosexuals are your enemy, and no compromise is possible.

I guess I should have given this thread a sexier title, because it's getting NO response.

Basically, ABC Family Network's "The Fosters" is Disney's effort to de-Christianize American youth, through portrayals of homosexuals, promiscuous teenagers, abortion pills, as good wholesome things every family should engage in.

I am watching the show to get a picture of what the enemy is thinking, but also because it's interesting to watch how the character's lack of morals are constantly getting them into trouble.

Forum List

Back