"American Jesus" . . . Huh?!

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Netflix has put multiple projects based on properties from Mark Millar’s Millarworld into development as original series, Variety has learned.

One of those projects is “American Jesus,” based on the Millarworld comic of the same name. The series follows a twelve-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ. He can turn water into wine, make the crippled walk, and, perhaps, even raise the dead.

Netflix to Develop Series Based on Mark Millar’s ‘American Jesus,’ ‘Jupiter’s Legacy’

'American Jesus' follows a 12-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ. He can turn water into wine, make the crippled walk, and, perhaps, even raise the dead! How will he deal with the destiny to lead the world in a conflict thousands of years in the making?

Mark Millar 1st Netflix Slate Includes TV Series About Reincarnated Jesus

Does anyone else think this is going to be an insultingly disrespectful, theologically illiterate mess, even when you leave aside the entertainment industry's typical lack of curiosity about the realities of Judeo-Christian religion?

I mean, let's just start with what's obvious at the moment: IF the kid is really Jesus reincarnated, why is reincarnation not so much as mentioned in passing in the Bible? Why is it not part of either Judaism or Christianity? Why is it, precisely, that this little scenario bears no resemblance whatsoever to anything in the Bible, and more specifically, in Christ's own teachings?

Netflix has put multiple projects based on properties from Mark Millar’s Millarworld into development as original series, Variety has learned.

One of those projects is “American Jesus,” based on the Millarworld comic of the same name. The series follows a twelve-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ. He can turn water into wine, make the crippled walk, and, perhaps, even raise the dead.

Netflix to Develop Series Based on Mark Millar’s ‘American Jesus,’ ‘Jupiter’s Legacy’

'American Jesus' follows a 12-year-old boy who suddenly discovers he’s returned as Jesus Christ. He can turn water into wine, make the crippled walk, and, perhaps, even raise the dead! How will he deal with the destiny to lead the world in a conflict thousands of years in the making?

Does anyone else think this is going to be an insultingly disrespectful, theologically illiterate mess, even when you leave aside the entertainment industry's typical lack of curiosity about the realities of Judeo-Christian religion?

I mean, let's just start with what's obvious at the moment: IF the kid is really Jesus reincarnated, why is reincarnation not so much as mentioned in passing in the Bible? Why is it not part of either Judaism or Christianity? Why is it, precisely, that this little scenario bears no resemblance whatsoever to anything in the Bible, and more specifically, in Christ's own teachings?

lol.... Jesus wasn't very respectful the first time....Why would he be any different if he appeared a second time?

Anyway Jesus did say that he would come again... How else could he come again unless he was reincarnated into another body?

And what other country on earth would he appear in if not America with freedom of expression and where people at least profess to being dedicated to liberty truth justice and all that....

In what other country would he have an even chance of surviving into adulthood ? Where else might his teaching be understood?

Who can say? Should be a hoot.

lol.... Jesus wasn't very respectful the first time....Why would he be any different if he appeared a second time?

Anyway Jesus did say that he would come again... How else could he come again unless he was reincarnated into another body?

And what other country on earth would he appear in if not America with freedom of expression and where people at least profess to being dedicated to liberty truth justice and all that....

In what other country would he have an even chance of surviving into adulthood ? Where else might his teaching be understood?

Who can say? Should be a hoot.

I can see why I have you on ignore. And back you go!

The answer lies within the question:

bears no resemblance whatsoever to anything in the Bible, and more specifically, in Christ's own teachings

They want to discredit the mission Jesus was on when He came the first time. They want the snowflakes to believe He is a nothing more than a fantasy character.

Netflix is becoming an arm of the UN with Higher Ground Productions, an Obama indoctrination company, leading the charge. It is a capitalist company snowflakes, making the 1% owners millions and millions. You are their target. Grab your crayons...

It’s not supposed to have anything to do with the bible. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. If you find it insulting, you probably have too much time on your hands.

Jesus returned in power and spirit, as Elijah did.

This show appears to be making Christ into nothing more than a super hero.

It’s not supposed to have anything to do with the bible. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. If you find it insulting, you probably have too much time on your hands.

It's based on the Biblical Messiah, but it's not supposed to have anything to do with the Bible? You realize that doesn't make sense, right? That's like starting a TV series called "Romeo and Juliet" and then insisting it's not supposed to have anything to do with Shakespeare.

If you're going to steal your thematic material from existing works, you DO have to at least acknowledge those works. There is no such thing as Jesus the Messiah who did miracles without the Bible, so it's ludicrous in the extreme to say, "I'm writing a TV show about Jesus the Messiah who did miracles . . . but it doesn't have anything to do with the Bible!"

It's based on the Biblical Messiah, but it's not supposed to have anything to do with the Bible? You realize that doesn't make sense, right? That's like starting a TV series called "Romeo and Juliet" and then insisting it's not supposed to have anything to do with Shakespeare.

If you're going to steal your thematic material from existing works, you DO have to at least acknowledge those works. There is no such thing as Jesus the Messiah who did miracles without the Bible, so it's ludicrous in the extreme to say, "I'm writing a TV show about Jesus the Messiah who did miracles . . . but it doesn't have anything to do with the Bible!"
It’s a take on what if Jesus suddenly popped into existence in the modern world. If that offends you, then you must have a pretty weak constitution.

Jesus returned in power and spirit, as Elijah did.

This show appears to be making Christ into nothing more than a super hero.

Or something. I don't know. I'm mildly curious to know whether they're going to address any of the theological screw-ups inherent in their scenario, or if they're even aware that they exist.

There's also the fact that Jesus would have no reason to be reincarnated, since He was resurrected from the dead and, as far as I'm aware, has not died again since.

It’s a take on what if Jesus suddenly popped into existence in the modern world. If that offends you, then you must have a pretty weak constitution.

Hasn't offended me yet. I expect that it WILL offend me, should I bother to pay attention to it, since it seems fairly obvious that's a big part of its purpose.

At the moment, I'm just confused.

Oh, and hey. Don't like the thread topic, don't join the thread. Works both ways, dontcha know.

Then why not call him Butch...
Because that would be uninteresting.

Dunno if I would call THIS interesting. Confusing, yes.
Then I have great news for you. You don’t have to watch it. Problem solved.

And I have great news for YOU. YOU don't have to read this thread and be annoyed that I'm daring to talk about something you don't think I should. Problem solved.

But I really doubt that you're going to stop spamming the board with your objections, and I KNOW I'm not going to stop talking about whatever the fuck I please just because you've decreed that I shouldn't.

Life goes on, and you continue to be irrelevant and unable to control people.

The answer lies within the question:

bears no resemblance whatsoever to anything in the Bible, and more specifically, in Christ's own teachings

They want to discredit the mission Jesus was on when He came the first time. They want the snowflakes to believe He is a nothing more than a fantasy character.

Netflix is becoming an arm of the UN with Higher Ground Productions, an Obama indoctrination company, leading the charge. It is a capitalist company snowflakes, making the 1% owners millions and millions. You are their target. Grab your crayons...

Man, you see Obama everywhere, look out behind you, its Obama. LOL.

There are actually people who think they are Jesus incarnate.

Forum List

Back