GSA, the Secret Service, Presidential vacations, and Other Scandals

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Apr 26, 2012.

?

Intentional misuse of taxpayer funds should be

1. a criminal offense.

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. cause for immediate dismissal.

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. no big deal.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. no big deal if not a lot of money.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. dealt with as I will explain in my post.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    I did a search and didn't come up with a thread on this so if this is a repeat, I apologize.

The General Services Administration spends the taxpayer money on lavish conerences and makes a video bragging about it.

The Secret Service failed to acquire prositution services secretly.

And the lavish lifestyle of the Obamas on vacation and via presidential parties continues to raise eyebrows.

And these are just the tip of the iceberg.

Why is the mainstream media giving all this such minimal coverage? (ABC and Fox have provided the best coverage and of course these would all be much larger stories if they had occurred during the Bush administration,.) We are talking about hundreds of millions of taxpayers money spent on lavish suites, champagne, and other high roller perks. And yet CBS and NBC are both suggesting that congressional hearings are 'hearings overkill' and politically motivated.

Really?

President Obama is reported to have expressed outrage when a GSA video surfaced in which federal workers mocked the taxpayer as they lived high on the hog at taxpayer expense. Critics of the President claim that the Administration had known of the scandal for months and had done nothing. Supporters say that the President cannot be expected to concern himself with day to day operations of the government. (?)

What do you want Congress to do about this, if anything? What message do we send our elected representatives?

GSA scandal prompts bills to curb spending on conferences

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjFcLqxLrOo]GSA Employees' Spoof Video - YouTube[/ame]

2. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    Some additional commentary:

3. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    The media has extensively shown that shrimp running on the treadmill - a federal government authorized study at the cost of tens of millions of stimulus money.

And nobody cares?

4. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,508
    The shrimp running on a treadmill was a legitimate study and it didn't cost tens of millions of dollars

5. Full-Auto

Full-Auto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    That was only a small portion of the study.

However it was supposed to stimulate the economy.

It would help if a single democrat understood what the term stimulus meant.

All this was....an attempt at back door funding for a political objective.

6. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    Okay, I should have checked my facts better rather than trust the AARP to get it right. The shrimp on the treadmill and the rest of that study was not part of the stimulus package. And it may indeed have been a legitimate study.

But do we approve of our taxes going for things like that?

Do we want the Secret Service on assignment hiring prostitutes?

Do you care that the GSA, the one administration who should absolutely be setting the example for all the others, spent close to a million dollars on an education training conference during which they had a good old time at our expense and very little education or training went on?

Do you approve of government agencies going to lavish resorts for their training? Is that how you want the government to spend the money you expended your time, talent, and sweat to earn?

7. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,508
    I worked for the government for 33 years and training was anything but lavish. GSA seems like what may have been a good, cost effective idea ran out of control. I am not ready to say it was of absolutely no value, but the add ons were excessive and a poor use of taxpayer dollars
    At the conferences I went to we had to pass the hat just to buy coffee

8. Foxfyre

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,477
    This is a good point and one made in the links I have provided. The fact that one or more agencies misuses and/or abuses the system should not heap condemnation upon all. That was not my intent here.

How good and cost effective is it though, to fly a large number of Washington DC based federal employees to Las Vegas for training? Are there no suitable meeting rooms for training near the agency? If it is corporate money, fine. It can be a business decision to have a super neat training conference as a perk or bonus for the workers. But that doesn't force anybody else to pick up the tab.

I think government public servants should be just that, however, and should not be taking liberties with the people's money for purposes of morale or any other unprobvable and questionable motives. When you expect somebody else to pay the bill, your responsibilities in controlling the cost should be at a much higher standard.

Ditto the Presidential vacations. I would not mind the Obama's spending their vacations at their very elegant home in Chicago and Camp David is an absolutely gorgeous place with many amenities and is a great place to crash and unwind from the rigors of office. But if they want to take a lavish vacation in Hawaii or other such place, should the taxpayer be on the hook for that? The Obamas net worth is currently estimated at more than $10 million. Could he not have more respect for how hard it is for us regular folks to come up with a million dollars in taxes for him to spend?

Does anybody reading this think that the Obamas have shown any respect whatsoever for the taxpayer in their own lifestyle and behavior?

Would that not set a certain tone or affect the culture of Washington?

Why or why not?

9. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,508
    I put on a large conference one time in Augusta Georgia. We had people fly in from all over the country for a three day meeting. When we looked at what we paid for airfare to Augusta, room rates, meals and hotel accommodations we joked it would have been cheaper to hold it in Vegas

There are cheap airfares to Vegas from anywhere in the country, hotel rooms are cheap, conference rooms are cheap, meals are cheap. Having the conference in Vegas would have saved the taxpayer a bunch of money
    But of course we never would have done it.........it just doesn't look right

Last time I was TDY in Washington DC, perdiem was $225 a night. Rooms are that expensive. Meals were $77 a day. There is no question a conference in Vegas is much cheaper than one in Washington DC. If they had held that conference in DC nobody would have raised an eyebrow

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  10. Caroljo

Caroljo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Here's an example of just ONE of the 16 vacations that Michelle Obama has taken...I can't afford a vacation across town!

Michelle Obama's Spain vacation cost taxpayers nearly $470G, watchdog group claims | Fox News

"The American people can ill afford to keep sending the First Family on vacations around the globe," he said in a written statement. "There needs to be greater sensitivity to the costs borne by taxpayers for these personal trips. It is hypocritical for President Obama to fire GSA officials for wasteful conference spending, while his family went on a luxury vacation in the Costa del Sol Spain that cost taxpayers nearly half a million dollars."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1