CDZ Grounds for Impeachment and Conviction

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by outlier, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,788
    the idea that you can fire hiring mistakes from every job in the country but not from the most important job in the world is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Spare_change

Spare_change Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,153
    Damn ---- is the ignorance in this place contagious???

3. Circe

Circe Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +843

Trump's in trouble, then..........

No, that's not true, as I recall it from all the debate around the Bill Clinton impeachment. (The Nixon threat was not a problem: burglary IS a high crime or misdemeanor!)

They were generally agreed that they could not impeach Clinton for what they actually wanted to impeach him for: Monica and that cigar. And the ......not quite sex. So what they did impeach him for was perjury ---- and the perjury was clear, then, but I can't quite remember what the details were: I think he swore he didn't have anything to do with That Woman, but of course he did. He was disbarred for that, you'll recall.

So they DO impeach for juicy, salacious stuff, like being a public drunk in Johnson's case, but they have to dress it up as a high crime: he dismissed Stanton as SecWar and put someone else in the job. That was some sort of offense at the time, but it gave them cover.

I hope they don't impeach Trump, but they could make up something. The public would have to turn against him, as they did against all three of the other presidents we're talking about. They can't safely impeach a beloved prez like Trump: too popular. The poster who asked if leftists are ready for civil war are correct. We won't put up with that.

4. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,668
    You are absolutely right- the GOP won't impeach Trump even if he is found standing over a dead body.

But the Supreme Court doesn't have the authority to overturn any impeachment or conviction

5. Faun

Faun Messiah

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,558
    Not true. A crime need not be committed for the House to impeach. How can it? Impeachment precedes a criminal trial when one can be convicted of a crime. All it takes to impeach a president is the appearance of a crime. I don’t see the House impeaching Trump over this, but if they decided to impeach him for obstruction of justice for trying to get the FBI to drop their investigation into Flynn, there would be nothing to stop them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Spare_change

Spare_change Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,153
    Actually, that's not true .... a simple wrongful termination lawsuit will rectify the situation. Of course, the suit will be filed in DC federal court, but will be expedited to the SCOTUS.

Simply, there are no legitimate grounds for impeachment/conviction. All this talk is wasted time.

7. Spare_change

Spare_change Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,153
    You're right ---- nothing but precedence, protocol, and logic.

The perpetrators would be laughed out of office.

8. Faun

Faun Messiah

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,558
    One of the articles of impeach against Johnson was for making speeches disrespectful of Congress. I can’t decide, is that a high crime or a misdemeanor?

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  9. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,668
    Actually that is true. The Constitution is very clear about it- but hey- you can believe whatever you want to.

I haven't seen any legitimate ground for impeachment yet- no high crimes or misdeamenors not yet. That doesn't mean that they don't exist- for that they do.

But it does mean it is premature to be calling for Trump's impeachment.

10. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,668
    Wouldn't that fall under 'doing a public service'? LOL

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1