CDZ Grounds for Impeachment and Conviction

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by outlier, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,017
    1) that isn't an argument for congress. congress is not Donald's lawyer. the whole point is to get someone out of office for "high crimes and misdemeanors" which is undefined in the constitution, but was a phrase used in place of prior drafts containing more specific acts.
    2) there is no basis on which a president would be exempt from obstruction of justice charges during an impeachment.
    3) impeachment is not a criminal trial. there only has to be a vote of the senate, not "guilt beyond a reasonable doubt" which only applies to criminal charges.

your question is interesting. this might help you:

The case for normalizing impeachment

2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,017
    well, at least other people read. you clearly don't.

but keep on trolling and adding nothing. because you're the one who has no knowledge or law or politics. impeachment is not a legal issue, it is a political one. and the only time anyone has been tossed after impeachment are federal judges....

and they've been tossed for embarrassing the country and bringing shame on their office.

try reading... just for a moment. so you don't embarrass yourself any further.

3. monkrules

monkrules Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Never the need for force.

The Founders had the foresight to include ways to deal with total incompetents like trump.

The big question is if our GOP led Congress will have the character, principles, or guts, to do their job.

4. Tipsycatlover

Tipsycatlover Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,819
    Trump is president accept it or do something about it. Don't stand around waiting for someone else to do it for you.

5. monkrules

monkrules Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Please, lay off the sauce. We live in a representative democracy. Our representatives are supposed to do these things for us. It's their job to represent their constituents.

Unlike trump supporters, I love this country and I wouldn't want to see it torn apart by brainless violence.

6. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,079
    Comedy gold!

7. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,362
    The Supreme Court doesn’t have a say in what congress considers to be high crimes and misdemeanors.

8. jasonnfree

jasonnfree Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,222
    That's it? Why not explain to me how my thinking is wrong then. Oh, and don't forget this is the cd zone. Don't respond if you're not capable of avoiding insults when expressing yourself.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  9. Syriusly

Syriusly Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,266
    Congress can legally impeach a President for having a bad hair day.

Yes- Congress can impeach a President for anything it wants to.

10. Spare_change

Spare_change Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,153
    Speaking the truth is not an insult ----- it is merely the truth. The truth cannot be an insult, because the truth is a fact.

Your commentary was rife with errors, and indicates a significant ignorance of the law, and constitutional law, in particular. You applied a layman's definition of "high crimes and misdemeanors" in an attempt to pontificate endlessly about something you know nothing about. You did NOT apply the common accepted legal definition of "high crimes and misdemeanors" as it was defined by the founding fathers.

I suggest you do the following:

1) Research the definition of "high crimes and misdemeanors". A decidedly simplistic definition - far exceeding your error-filled definition can be found at: High crimes and misdemeanors - Wikipedia

2) Then, I suggest you research the legal implications, and applications, of "high crimes and misdemeanors". A discussion can be found at: What Are "High Crimes and Misdemeanors"? It was generated after the Clinton impeachment, so you know it is slanted to the liberal point of view.

3) Since "high crimes and misdemeanors" made a direct transition from English common law to our legal system, you probably want to review that, as well. http://www.constitution.org/cmt/high_crimes.htm . (I'll give you a hint: There is a discussion in there about how a president can be impeached for obstruction of justice - which, of course, has nothing to do with the ignorance you attempted to foment)

4) After those, I suggest you review an academic treatise of the application of impeachment law. One can be found at: Guide to the Constitution though, if you don't like what you read - and you won't - feel free to do more research.

5) Then, knowing that these answers will destroy any argument about impeaching Trump, you probably want to visit that bastion of liberal thought, the purveyor of all things left, the Huffington Post, and read: What Does the U.S. Constitution's Impeachment Clause Mean by "High Crimes and Misdemeanors"? | HuffPost

6) After you have completed all that homework, come back here and apologize to the good people of this forum for the sin of spreading ignorance and misinformation.

7) You can skip any apology to me .... I don't give a damn.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017