Ground Zero Mosque' Imam Was A Bush-Era Partner For Mideast Peace

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
'Ground Zero Mosque' Imam Was A Bush-Era Partner For Mideast Peace | TPMMuckraker

Tuesday, Reps. Peter King (R-NY) and Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL) called Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf -- best known for his work with multicultural Cordoba Initiative to build a mosque and community center in Lower Manhattan -- a "radical" and criticized the Obama Administration for including him on a Middle East speaking tour. That tour, which includes stops in Bahrain, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, is designed by the public diplomacy office to explain to Muslims abroad what it's like to be a Muslim in America.

And, as such, Hughes set up listening tours, attended meetings and worked with interfaith groups that -- shocking, by today's Republican standards -- included actual Muslims.

One of those people was Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf.

Contemporary press accounts indicate that Rauf and Hughes were part of the February 2006 U.S.-Islamic World Forum in Doha, Qatar. He was part of a delegation that met with her in March 2006 and held a joint press conference. A letter to then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in November 2007 indicates that contacts with Hughes and Under Secretary for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns had continued apace.

http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010926-8.html

And so, thank you all for coming. I don't know if you all remember the Imam led the service at the National Cathedral -- he did a heck of a good job, and we were proud to have him there. And I want to thank you very much for the gift you gave me, Imam, the Koran. It's a very thoughtful gift. I said thank you very much for the gift. He said, it's the best gift I could give you, Mr. President. I appreciate that very much.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0zZttfUaw&feature=related]YouTube - Original Old School Classic Oompa Loompa Music Videos[/ame]

• Thanks
Reactions: blu

Forum List

Back