Green Energy Policy Scraping the Bottom of the Barrel for Electricity

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Jewitt City, Connecticut
I thought I heard all the hair-brained schemes when it came to green energy but this one takes the cake.

England plans to use the public's personal cars, the batteries in electric cars around the country to supply the grid.

It seems if one can think of anything stupid they will do it as long as you got a scientist smiling next to the project.
As well as spreading out demand, it is hoped electric cars could eventually be used as a sort of giant battery system, charging up when there is a lot of electricity being generated by wind turbines, and selling electricity back to the grid when needed if their owners do not need it at the same time.
0321_MS4_StopGlobalWarmingEV.jpg

I thought I heard all the hair-brained schemes when it came to green energy but this one takes the cake.

England plans to use the public's personal cars, the batteries in electric cars around the country to supply the grid.

It seems if one can think of anything stupid they will do it as long as you got a scientist smiling next to the project.

View attachment 599241
I just got a Honda PHEV and it takes 2.5 hrs for a full charge at a ChargePoint (4 stations) or city installed charging station (2 stations). Yet, the Tesla owners use it instead of the Tesla Superchargers a few blocks away. There's hardly anyone there and they have many chargers like around 25. All it would cost them to charge in no time is around 80 cents. Yet, these cheapskates use the ChargePoint or city stations because they're free. I would pay 80 cents to use them as they are faster than ChargePoint, but their plugs do not fit my Honda. Right now, the ChargePoint stations are free as incentive for car owners to buy an EV or PHEV.

My other complaint would be the low mileage I get from a full charge, about 50 miles, but with gas it gets almost 400 miles of driving range. I can't complain about that.

Just find something to do for 2.5 hrs while charging like eating out, shopping or taking care of city business. I take my dogs out during that time. If using my car daily, then I would have to charge daily (maybe not full charge). There's a charging station at the library, so one could read a book.

Now, if one does it at home, then it takes too long; It's 12 hours for mine. However, one can get a 220V charger like ChargePoint's for the home. The charger is not that expensive, but then you're under the mercy of the electric utility or the government regulators as in England :(.

Last edited:
I just got a Honda PHEV and it takes 2.5 hrs for a full charge at a ChargePoint (4 stations) or city installed charging station (2 stations). Yet, the Tesla owners use it instead of the Tesla Superchargers a few blocks away. There's hardly anyone there and they have many chargers like around 25. All it would cost them to charge in no time is around 80 cents. Yet, these cheapskates use the ChargePoint or city stations because they're free. I would pay 80 cents to use them as they are faster than ChargePoint, but their plugs do not fit my Honda. Right now, the ChargePoint stations are free as incentive for car owners to buy an EV or PHEV.

My other complaint would be the low mileage I get from a full charge, about 50 miles, but with gas it gets almost 400 miles of driving range. I can't complain about that.

Just find something to do for 2.5 hrs while charging like eating out, shopping or taking care of city business. I take my dogs out during that time. If using my car daily, then I would have to charge daily (maybe not full charge). There's a charging station at the library, so one could read a book.

Now, if one does it at home, then it takes too long; It's 12 hours for mine. However, one can get a 220V charger like ChargePoint's for the home. The charger is not that expensive, but then you're under the mercy of the electric utility or the government regulators as in England :(.
Well, I would like if you kept me, us informed as to your experience with it.

Well, I would like if you kept me, us informed as to your experience with it.
If your commute is far or you drive a lot, then I recommend a PHEV so you can still get gas if you run out of battery charge. With an EV only vehicle such as a Tesla -- Teslike.com, then your range is a skosh less but still very good. However, you'll want to recharge it fast. Tesla provides the Supercharger stations, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to do it at home, then I think it's costly for a Tesla -- see Amazon -- but I think the ChargePoint Level 2 charger works for it, too -- see Amazon -- with an adaptor.

I'm going to see how many charge stations pop up before investing in a charger at home; It's really a convenience item or a luxury item for Tesla owners :wink:. I think the workplace is putting up more chargers, so you may want to look around there, too. There are mobile chargers you can buy so you can take it with you, but don't think that is necessary for most commutes.

If your commute is far or you drive a lot, then I recommend a PHEV so you can still get gas if you run out of battery charge. With an EV only vehicle such as a Tesla -- Teslike.com, then your range is a skosh less but still very good. However, you'll want to recharge it fast. Tesla provides the Supercharger stations, so it shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to do it at home, then I think it's costly for a Tesla -- see Amazon -- but I think the ChargePoint Level 2 charger works for it, too -- see Amazon -- with an adaptor.

I'm going to see how many charge stations pop up before investing in a charger at home; It's really a convenience item or a luxury item for Tesla owners :wink:. I think the workplace is putting up more chargers, so you may want to look around there, too. There are mobile chargers you can buy so you can take it with you, but don't think that is necessary for most commutes.
okay, but do you think the government should use the batteries in personal vehicles to supply the grid with electricity?

okay, but do you think the government should use the batteries in personal vehicles to supply the grid with electricity?
The government charging stations are the minority. The best ones are prolly the Tesla Superchargers and the private businesses that put them up with the approval of the government. They're not set up to work with one another except for the government chargers. It's Tesla vs the other charging systems for now. I think how fast they charge is set up by the government regulations as there are standards for Level 1 (charging from common home sources), 2 (ChargePoint and most other business stations) and 3 (Tesla Superchargers).

The government charging stations are the minority. The best ones are prolly the Tesla Superchargers and the private businesses that put them up with the approval of the government. They're not set up to work with one another except for the government chargers. It's Tesla vs the other charging systems for now. I think how fast they charge is set up by the government regulations as there are standards for Level 1 (charging from common home sources), 2 (ChargePoint and most other business stations) and 3 (Tesla Superchargers).
who is talking about government charging stations? this op has nothing to do with charging?

It is about discharging batteries into the grid because the government can not create enough storage for their dream

Electric Cars, scraping the bottom of the barrel

who is talking about government charging stations? this op has nothing to do with charging?

It is about discharging batteries into the grid because the government can not create enough storage for their dream

Electric Cars, scraping the bottom of the barrel
So you think the government will take from the private party suppliers and the cars who hook up to them, too? I doubt they can in a free country. They may be able to limit electricity use and take from the cars using county chargers (Is that possible?), but not the private ones.

So you think the government will take from the private party suppliers and the cars who hook up to them, too? I doubt they can in a free country. They may be able to limit electricity use and take from the cars using county chargers (Is that possible?), but not the private ones.
Government paid for the EV's with subsidies, Government under democrats has proven they can and will dictate anything they please.

Government paid for the EV's with subsidies, Government under democrats has proven they can and will dictate anything they please.
I agree with what the USG is doing. This may be the last year and hope to get another EV. I'll worry about it when EVs get popular. Until then I'll try to drive from 0-60 in one second for FREE, FREE, FREE. Dr. Rick sez you have to PRIORITIZE and let your problems go until you have to face them.

I agree with what the USG is doing. This may be the last year and hope to get another EV. I'll worry about it when EVs get popular. Until then I'll try to drive from 0-60 in one second for FREE, FREE, FREE. Dr. Rick sez you have to PRIORITIZE and let your problems go until you have to face them.
HPEV is what you said you own, now you say EV

you dont own either

Forum List

Back