Green Cars? The Joke's On You!

Um because a car that races at Le Mans would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars? That's stupid.

Wow, you really are stupid aren't you. What the fuck do you think the Tesla Roadster costs dipshit.

Wtf you're comparing Tesla and F1 cars to my Mom's Honda. Way to go smartass :cuckoo:

No you fucking retard, if EV's were so fucking great they would be racing at Le Mans but they are so inneficient (unlike your claims) that the battery packs needed to run the race would power 14 regular race cars. Can your tiny little brain comprehend what that means?

My gosh but you're stupid.

Fueling???
Recharging???
Here's some news:
1. An electric car requires an array of battery cells, almost 500 pounds worth. http://www.whitehouse.gov/files/documents/Battery-and-Electric-Vehicle-Report-FINAL.pdf
a. GM’s EV1 NiMH (nickel metal hydride) weighed in at 1,150-1,400 pounds. Nickel Metal Hydride | GREENDUMP and Berezow, Op.Cit., p. 99.
b. The Chevy Volt has a lithium-ion battery that weights in at 435 pounds. GM press release: CHEVROLET VOLT’S REVOLUTIONARY VOLTEC ELECTRIC DRIVE SYSTEM DELIVERS EFFICIENCY WITH PERFORMANCE
2. The batteries are expensive, listed at $3,000-$4,000. Prius hybrid owners have been quoted at $7,000 and up. Behind the Hidden Costs of Hybrids - HybridCars.com
a. It is unclear what replacement cost will be when labor is included.
3. Since the battery’s ability to recharge declines with use, it must be replaced at about 100,000 miles. And the nickel metal hydride leaks energy- about 20 percent of capacity within the first 24 hours.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/Nickel_based_batteriesbnn
4. The batteries pose a dramatic detrimental effect on the environment due to polytetrafluoroethylene binder and nickel foam materials. Life cycle environmental assessme... preview & related info | Mendeley
5. Basically, electric vehicles are dragging a lot of extra weight made of toxic materials in order to use stored energy that combustion vehicles can simply generate on the go. Berezow, Op. Cit., p.66.
"And the EV's are not only here to stay, but they will give the homeowner the independence of fueling his own vehicle with solar."

Really?
How's yours workin' out?
What???
You didn't get one???
I get it...waitin' for the other simpletons to get 'em.....
Better not buy a used one: replacing those batteries is a bankruptcy waiting to happen.....
But...."the homeowner the independence of fueling his own vehicle with solar."
Sure.
Polchic, you sure are a dumbass and aren't afraid to show it. Sure electric cars aren't perfect these days, but the research... is going in the right direction. Sooner or later on this planet, we'll run out of fossil fuels and will need other ways to get around. Electric vehicles, possibly recharged by the sun in the future, are an excellent goal for ceasing to use oil. Sure, electricity is made with fossil fuels in a lot of places, but a lot of places have hydro-electricity already, and the prospect of refuelling your car with solar power is very cool.

PS do you think that maybe if you got laid properly that you wouldn't be so ornery all the time?

The dumbass is you moron. EV's have the same range now that they had 100 years ago. You call that progress?:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

Now, that's a good point!

Noted in the novel “The Interpretation of Murder,” by Jed Rubenfeld:

“Only a decade previously [in 1899], every taxi in Manhattan had been horse-drawn. By 1900, a hundred motorized taxis tooled around the city, but these were electrically powered. Weighed down by their eight-hundred-pound batteries, the electric taxis were popular but ponderous; passengers occasionally had to get out and help push when going up the rare steep incline. In 1907, the New York Taxi Company launched the first fleet of gasoline cars for hire, equipped with meters so that riders could see the fare. These cabs were instant hits- hits, that is, with the better class, who alone could afford the fifty-cents-per mile charge- and quickly came to outnumber all other cabs, electric and horse, in the city. You always knew a New York Taxicab when you say one, because of its distinctive red and green paneling.

Your failed attempt at humour didn't actually cover up the fact that you had no real response to what I said, is it because you know I'm right?:cool:
Why call it humor....I was being helpful.
OK...listen, dunce....any reduction in the cost of solar is because of government subsidies.
1. “The US Energy Information Administration estimates the subsidy cost of wind runs at $23.50 [dollars per actual megawatt-hour] and Natural gas and petroleum, 25 cents. Coal, 44 cents. “Clean” coal, refined to environmentalis’ standards, $29.81.” Nickson, “Eco-Fascists,” p.123.
“…Mr. Obama’s green jobs will have cost [by the end of 2011] the public purse more than $5 million each.” Ibid.
Solar: solar burns through a bit more at $26.00 per
Natural gas and petroleum, 25 cents. Coal, 44 cents. “Clean” coal per
Ready for the pop quiz?
Which costs 104 times more....solar or Natural gas ?
Take your time....
"... the fact that you had no real response to what I said, is it because you know I'm right?"
Now do you see why I said you're the punchline of a joke??
With your skills, you could get a job as a seeing-eye person for a blind dog.
Was that better?

What costs more to run, a gas car or an electric car powered by the sun? And fyi, the oil and gas industry and the gas car industries get subsidies too, did ya know? :D
Question 2: What costs more to run: a house powered by solar power or a house powered by coal generated electricity? The coal industry gets subsidies too, did ya know? :D
Question 3: what's going to run out last, oil, gas, your fartgas or sunshine? :D

Tell me....how does it feel to know that yogurt has more active culture than you do?

Why call it humor....I was being helpful.
OK...listen, dunce....any reduction in the cost of solar is because of government subsidies.
1. “The US Energy Information Administration estimates the subsidy cost of wind runs at $23.50 [dollars per actual megawatt-hour] and Natural gas and petroleum, 25 cents. Coal, 44 cents. “Clean” coal, refined to environmentalis’ standards, $29.81.” Nickson, “Eco-Fascists,” p.123.
“…Mr. Obama’s green jobs will have cost [by the end of 2011] the public purse more than $5 million each.” Ibid.
Solar: solar burns through a bit more at $26.00 per
Natural gas and petroleum, 25 cents. Coal, 44 cents. “Clean” coal per
Ready for the pop quiz?
Which costs 104 times more....solar or Natural gas ?
Take your time....
"... the fact that you had no real response to what I said, is it because you know I'm right?"
Now do you see why I said you're the punchline of a joke??
With your skills, you could get a job as a seeing-eye person for a blind dog.
Was that better?

What costs more to run, a gas car or an electric car powered by the sun? And fyi, the oil and gas industry and the gas car industries get subsidies too, did ya know? :D
Question 2: What costs more to run: a house powered by solar power or a house powered by coal generated electricity? The coal industry gets subsidies too, did ya know? :D
Question 3: what's going to run out last, oil, gas, your fartgas or sunshine? :D

Tell me....how does it feel to know that yogurt has more active culture than you do?
You have nothing. I own you.

Question: does it make your posts feel more important to you by adding so much empty space in your posts. Or does your brain just like empty spaces?

Question: does it make your posts feel more important to you by adding so much empty space in your posts. Or does your brain just like empty spaces?

I’ve seen people like you before…but then I had to pay admission.

Report: U.S. Solar Market Spikes in Q2 2012, More than Doubling Q2 2011 Market Size | SEIA

Report: U.S. Solar Market Spikes in Q2 2012, More than Doubling Q2 2011 Market Size

Supported by a record 477 MW of utility-scale installations, the U.S. solar market in Q2 2012 grew by 45% over Q1 2012 and 116% over Q2 2011, according to latest U.S. Solar Market Insight® Report

Monday, September 10, 2012

WASHINGTON D.C. — 10 September 2012 — GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association® (SEIA®) today released U.S. Solar Market Insight: 2nd Quarter 2012. The report finds that U.S. solar achieved its second-best quarter in history, having installed 742 megawatts of solar power, and the best quarter on record for the utility market segment. Utility installations hit 477 megawatts in the second quarter, with eight states posting utility installations of 10 megawatts or greater: California, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Illinois, North Carolina, New Mexico, and New Jersey. In total, the U.S. now has 5,700 megawatts of installed solar capacity, enough to power more than 940,000 households.

According to U.S. Solar Market Insight: 2nd Quarter 2012, the utility photovoltaic (PV) market will remain strong through the last two quarters of 2012. With 3400 megawatts of utility PV projects currently under construction, and weighted U.S. average system prices 10 percent lower than the previous quarter, GTM Research forecasts an additional 1.1 gigawatts of utility PV to begin operating before year’s end. The report forecasts a total of 3200 megawatts, or 3.2 gigawatts, of PV will be installed in the U.S. in 2012, up 71 percent over 2011.

Now what other industry is increasing at this rate? And these homes will be candidates for hybrid EV's. Once the hybrid EV's hit 100 miles on a charge, the practicality will make them the choice of most intelligent people.

At Portland State University, we have a parking area for EV's where they can recharge. Thus far I have seen a Tesla S, many Leafs, Smart Car EV, Ford Fusion EV, many Volts, an EV Scion, and a couple I didn't have time to look over to see who was the manufacturer.

I did take the time to look over the Tesla S. A fine looking town car. Not the kind of vehicle I need. Someone needs to make a four wheel drive with lots of ground clearance, and cargo room for my needs.

"You have nothing. I own you."

You wouldn't say that if you knew how to read.

At Portland State University, we have a parking area for EV's where they can recharge. Thus far I have seen a Tesla S, many Leafs, Smart Car EV, Ford Fusion EV, many Volts, an EV Scion, and a couple I didn't have time to look over to see who was the manufacturer.

I did take the time to look over the Tesla S. A fine looking town car. Not the kind of vehicle I need. Someone needs to make a four wheel drive with lots of ground clearance, and cargo room for my needs.

First this question:
So who is paying for all that hydro to charge up these EV`s at Portland U?
For a 4 WD with cargo room and an engine to handle steep terrain you need a lot more than 40 horsepower and most of the cargo area would have to be used for the batteries if you live in an area where you need 4wd to get your daily supplies.
You`ve got to come to grips that an EV equivalent of a small Toyota with a 100 hp gas engine would use about as much electric power as 10 average houses...that takes a 100*745/220 = 338 amps @ 220 V.
Most houses have a 100 amp service and the average home runs at peak demand only about 1/3 rd of that.
So for each second the EV runs at or near maximum power, like going up a hill you suck back as much power as all the houses on a lane in a city block.
Imagine how many more power lines we would have to string if everybody would go EV.
There would not be much land left over for forests after all the windmills and the required power lines are installed to convert an entire country to "green energy"...and that does not even include all the hilltops that have to be denuded to make room for pump basins so that you got a power on demand power grid
And that`s called "green power"...what a joke...
In Germany it`s now the Green Party and Enviro Groups that are fighting what you are proposing:
http://www.bi-atdorf.de/?navi=340&sub=490

It`s an even bigger disaster and an Enviro-activist about face as was the case with corn-ethanol fuel

Last edited:

First this question:
So who is paying for all that hydro to charge up these EV`s at Portland U?
For a 4 WD with cargo room and an engine to handle steep terrain you need a lot more than 40 horsepower and most of the cargo area would have to be used for the batteries if you live in an area where you need 4wd to get your daily supplies.
You`ve got to come to grips that an EV equivalent of a small Toyota with a 100 hp gas engine would use about as much electric power as 10 average houses...that takes a 100*745/220 = 338 amps @ 220 V.
Most houses have a 100 amp service and the average home runs at peak demand only about 1/3 rd of that.
So for each second the EV runs at or near maximum power, like going up a hill you suck back as much power as all the houses on a lane in a city block.
Imagine how many more power lines we would have to string if everybody would go EV.
There would not be much land left over for forests after all the windmills and the required power lines are installed to convert an entire country to "green energy"...and that does not even include all the hilltops that have to be denuded to make room for pump basins so that you got a power on demand power grid
And that`s called "green power"...what a joke...
In Germany it`s now the Green Party and Enviro Groups that are fighting what you are proposing:
http://www.bi-atdorf.de/?navi=340&sub=490

It`s an even bigger disaster and an Enviro-activist about face as was the case with corn-ethanol fuel

And that is the ultimate reality of EV's. They are nowhere near close to the efficiency levels of an ICE vehicle. They are horrible for the environment and they cost double what a regular vehicle does. If we can master Teslas idea of powering the Earths magnetic field so that you could power EV's with an antenna that would be wonderful.

As they stand now though, they are an environmental disaster.

1. "Electric cars are promoted as the chic harbinger of an environmentally benign future. Ads assure us of "zero emissions," and President Obama has promised a million on the road by 2015. With sales for 2012 coming in at about 50,000, that million-car figure is a pipe dream.... it's truly green, right? Not really.

2. For proponents ... the main argument is that their electric cars...don't contribute to global warming. And, sure, electric cars don't emit carbon-dioxide on the road. But the energy used for their manufacture and continual battery charges certainly does—far more than most people realize.

3. A 2012 comprehensive life-cycle analysis in Journal of Industrial Ecology shows that almost half the lifetime carbon-dioxide emissions from an electric car come from the energy used to produce the car, especially the battery. The mining of lithium, for instance, is a less than green activity.

4. By contrast, the manufacture of a gas-powered car accounts for 17% of its lifetime carbon-dioxide emissions. When an electric car rolls off the production line, it has already been responsible for 30,000 pounds of carbon-dioxide emission. The amount for making a conventional car: 14,000 pounds

5. While electric-car owners may cruise around feeling virtuous, they still recharge using electricity overwhelmingly produced with fossil fuels. Thus, the life-cycle analysis shows that for every mile driven, the average electric car indirectly emits about six ounces of carbon-dioxide.

a. ...remember, the production of the electric car has already resulted in sizeable emissions—the equivalent of 80,000 miles of travel in the vehicle.

6. So unless the electric car is driven a lot, it will never get ahead environmentally. And that turns out to be a challenge. Consider the Nissan Leaf. It has only a 73-mile range per charge. Drivers attempting long road trips, as in one BBC test drive, have reported that recharging takes so long that the average speed is close to six miles per hour—a bit faster than your average jogger.

7. ... the batteries in electric cars fade with time, just as they do in a cellphone. Nissan estimates that after five years, the less effective batteries in a typical Leaf bring the range down to 55 miles.

8. ...the huge initial emissions from its manufacture means the car will actually have put more carbon-dioxide in the atmosphere than a similar-size gasoline-powered car driven the same number of miles. Similarly, if the energy used to recharge the electric car comes mostly from coal-fired power plants, it will be responsible for the emission of almost 15 ounces of carbon-dioxide for every one of the 50,000 miles it is driven—three ounces more than a similar gas-powered car.

9. The current best estimate of the global warming damage of an extra ton of carbon-dioxide is about $5. This means an optimistic assessment of the avoided carbon-dioxide associated with an electric car will allow the owner to spare the world about $44 in climate damage. On the European emissions market, credit for 8.7 tons of carbon-dioxide costs $48.

a. ...U.S. federal government essentially subsidizes electric-car buyers with up to $7,500. In addition, more than $5.5 billion in federal grants and loans go directly to battery and electric-car manufacturers like California-based Fisker Automotive and Tesla Motors TSLA +1.90% . This is a very poor deal for taxpayers.

10. ....as a way to tackle global warming now it does virtually nothing."
Bjorn Lomborg: Green Cars Have a Dirty Little Secret - WSJ.com

"There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase often credited to P. T. Barnum...

The only way for our on-site 'environmentalists' to read this article is with Percocet in a Pez dispenser.

Appeals to Authority, again? You are a one trick pony. If you ever had written a term paper in a university and used a single source to offer a concluding opinion you would have been presented with a large red F and laughed off as a dilettante

Last edited:
1. "Electric cars are promoted as the chic harbinger of an environmentally benign future. Ads assure us of "zero emissions," and President Obama has promised a million on the road by 2015. With sales for 2012 coming in at about 50,000, that million-car figure is a pipe dream.... it's truly green, right? Not really.

2. For proponents ... the main argument is that their electric cars...don't contribute to global warming. And, sure, electric cars don't emit carbon-dioxide on the road. But the energy used for their manufacture and continual battery charges certainly does—far more than most people realize.

3. A 2012 comprehensive life-cycle analysis in Journal of Industrial Ecology shows that almost half the lifetime carbon-dioxide emissions from an electric car come from the energy used to produce the car, especially the battery. The mining of lithium, for instance, is a less than green activity.

4. By contrast, the manufacture of a gas-powered car accounts for 17% of its lifetime carbon-dioxide emissions. When an electric car rolls off the production line, it has already been responsible for 30,000 pounds of carbon-dioxide emission. The amount for making a conventional car: 14,000 pounds

5. While electric-car owners may cruise around feeling virtuous, they still recharge using electricity overwhelmingly produced with fossil fuels. Thus, the life-cycle analysis shows that for every mile driven, the average electric car indirectly emits about six ounces of carbon-dioxide.

a. ...remember, the production of the electric car has already resulted in sizeable emissions—the equivalent of 80,000 miles of travel in the vehicle.

6. So unless the electric car is driven a lot, it will never get ahead environmentally. And that turns out to be a challenge. Consider the Nissan Leaf. It has only a 73-mile range per charge. Drivers attempting long road trips, as in one BBC test drive, have reported that recharging takes so long that the average speed is close to six miles per hour—a bit faster than your average jogger.

7. ... the batteries in electric cars fade with time, just as they do in a cellphone. Nissan estimates that after five years, the less effective batteries in a typical Leaf bring the range down to 55 miles.

8. ...the huge initial emissions from its manufacture means the car will actually have put more carbon-dioxide in the atmosphere than a similar-size gasoline-powered car driven the same number of miles. Similarly, if the energy used to recharge the electric car comes mostly from coal-fired power plants, it will be responsible for the emission of almost 15 ounces of carbon-dioxide for every one of the 50,000 miles it is driven—three ounces more than a similar gas-powered car.

9. The current best estimate of the global warming damage of an extra ton of carbon-dioxide is about $5. This means an optimistic assessment of the avoided carbon-dioxide associated with an electric car will allow the owner to spare the world about $44 in climate damage. On the European emissions market, credit for 8.7 tons of carbon-dioxide costs $48.

a. ...U.S. federal government essentially subsidizes electric-car buyers with up to $7,500. In addition, more than $5.5 billion in federal grants and loans go directly to battery and electric-car manufacturers like California-based Fisker Automotive and Tesla Motors TSLA +1.90% . This is a very poor deal for taxpayers.

"There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase often credited to P. T. Barnum...

The only way for our on-site 'environmentalists' to read this article is with Percocet in a Pez dispenser.

Appeals to Authority, again? You are a one trick pony. If you ever had written a term paper in a university and used a single source to over a conclusing opinion you would have been presented with a large red F

You know that I hold your view is high esteem....

...I'm so crushed I may have to go right to my room and lie down.

You, my friend, are exactly what one should expect when the school system simply pats Johnny on the head and mutters 'great job,' no matter how inane the comment.
We produce little Wry Catcher's who never learned to respect their betters.

Appeals to Authority, again? You are a one trick pony. If you ever had written a term paper in a university and used a single source to over a concluding opinion you would have been presented with a large red F and laughed off as a dilettante

I don`t know what kind of term papers you are writing.
If someone writes a paper that states facts which can be verified and already have been verified then there is no need to include an entire litany of footnotes what the sources were.
Besides, he is not writing a term paper. This is just a forum post to discuss current events, trends, technology etc.

You would not be as critical had he written a pro AGW post peppered with the wildest assertions..
While we are at it, show us how you would write a term paper that has something better in it than the usual questionable statistic-/media-anecdote "proof" that CO2 causes climate change.
If you wrote scientific term papers then you should be aware that overlapping events are no proof that the events are linked as in a cause and effect relation....unless you concede that "climatology" is not a science.

Last edited:

Appeals to Authority, again? You are a one trick pony. If you ever had written a term paper in a university and used a single source to over a conclusing opinion you would have been presented with a large red F

You, my friend, are exactly what one should expect when the school system simply pats Johnny on the head and mutters 'great job,' no matter how inane the comment.

"respect their betters"? Time to rule out 301.81, i.e. "those who have a lifelong pattern of grandiosity - in behavior and fantasy - and thirst for admiration....".

"respect their betters"? Time to rule out 301.81, i.e. "those who have a lifelong pattern of grandiosity - in behavior and fantasy - and thirst for admiration....".

Now I know what kind of term papers you are writing.
You are way out of your depth discussing electric cars or anything else that is in the realm of real science.
The average 100 horsepower 4 stroke gas engine consumes ~ 0.3 ccm fuel to get the engine to 1000 rpm when a modern fuel injected ECM controlled 4 passenger car was at a dead stop
Do you have what it takes to tell me what the power surge integral is to do the same thing with a 20 hp electric motor ?
Do you know how often you can afford to do that per 100 amp hour battery capacity without dropping the voltage below normal operating voltage?
No?
I thought not...so why are you even posting anything in this thread

Last edited:

Oh....I see I gave you too much credit: first, you must recognize your betters.

Good news: It's eminently clear that you are immune from any serious head injury.

You are way out of your depth discussing electric cars or anything else that is in the realm of real science.

I'm sorry your reading comprehension is so poor. Nowhere did I mention anything related to the discussion on electric cars, I simply pointed out the error of irrelevance in PC's OP. In fact you know nothing of the papers I wrote at the University or anything about me beyond my aversion to political hacks and self righteous bigots.

Last edited:

I'm sorry your reading comprehension is so poor. Nowhere did I mention anything related to the discussion on electric cars, I simply pointed out the error of irrelevance in PC's OP. In fact you know nothing of the papers I wrote at the University or anything about me beyond my aversion to political hacks and self righteous bigots.

(Pssstttt....Wassamatta U isn't really a 'university'...it's a bar and grill)

Forum List

Back