Greeks immigrate to Turkey

The Greeks whose land in Byzantium was stolen by the turkish barbarians.

Will you ever shut your incompetent mouth soap-boy ?

Fucktard, open a book and learn your own barbaric history. There was a Greek Byzantium prior to your hoodlum brethren stealing it and renaming it istanbul.

The Greeks produced Aristotle, Plato and Socrates. The turkeys produced the criminal Erdogan :badgrin:

The ottoman empire disappeared. So, too, will the shithole turkey :clap2:

I hadn't heard this story - but it really is the ultimate irony, isn't it?

Greeks moving to Turkey....who'd have thought that possible 10 years back?!

But Turkey is doing well, and I can understand Greeks feel they have a better chance of a good life in Istanbul than in Athens right now.

But I wonder how Turks in Izmir feel about it all....

No, he won't - because he really is so desperate for attention. Ignore mode works!

I hadn't heard this story - but it really is the ultimate irony, isn't it?

Greeks moving to Turkey....who'd have thought that possible 10 years back?!

But Turkey is doing well, and I can understand Greeks feel they have a better chance of a good life in Istanbul than in Athens right now.

But I wonder how Turks in Izmir feel about it all....

No, he won't - because he really is so desperate for attention. Ignore mode works!

Saigon, you're still upset that I own you? http://www.usmessageboard.com/5286045-post350.html

Last edited:
Turkey is not doing well either. Maybe not as bad as the Greeks.

Turkey is not doing well either. Maybe not as bad as the Greeks.

GDP per capita development: Turkey:

1999 $6,200

2005 $8,400

2010 $12,300

Turkey - GDP - per capita (PPP) - Historical Data Graphs per Year

Since when is 100% GDP per capita growth in 11 years 'not doing well'?

Have you looked at the boom and bust cycle of Turkey? Their huge illiteracy? Their structural underdevelopment and unemployment?

Why do you think so many Turks try to emigrate?

Turkey has a lot of economic strengths and vast potential. In fact, one of the biggest concerns for the country is growth that is too fast, leading to a bubble.

Artevelde -

How many countries which had a GDP per capita of $6,000 in 1999 do not have underdevelopment and unemployment?

These issues are relative, and comparing literacy in Finland or the US with Turkey, India or Brazil is not always particularly informative. It's also worth remembering the enormous size of Turkey - it has vast swathes of rural land not easily developed.

I can only say my experience of being in Turkey is of a country developing quickly and successfully, and I think anyone who goes there will also note that many services in the cities are very much of first world standard.

It has its problems (Kurdistan, Cyprus etc) but the west should be looking to Turkey as a model for other neighbouring countries, not rushing to damn it.

Artevelde -

How many countries which had a GDP per capita of $6,000 in 1999 do not have underdevelopment and unemployment?

These issues are relative, and comparing literacy in Finland or the US with Turkey, India or Brazil is not always particularly informative. It's also worth remembering the enormous size of Turkey - it has vast swathes of rural land not easily developed.

I can only say my experience of being in Turkey is of a country developing quickly and successfully, and I think anyone who goes there will also note that many services in the cities are very much of first world standard.

It has its problems (Kurdistan, Cyprus etc) but the west should be looking to Turkey as a model for other neighbouring countries, not rushing to damn it.

I agree Turkey has developed in a positive way over the last few decades, but it still has structural weaknesses. Until they completely ditch the Kemalist legacy of an anti-democratic, militaritic and highly centralized state they can hardly be considered a role model.

I think they have largely moved on from that, although the military is still somewhat of a thread to democracy, because of the concern that democracy may also mean Islamism.

It's a tough issue, that one.

My hope is that improving living standards will also mean that more Turks return home, and bring with them more moderate attitudes and a desire to cooperate with the west. That way, extremism might be nipped in the bud.

I think they have largely moved on from that, although the military is still somewhat of a thread to democracy, because of the concern that democracy may also mean Islamism.

It's a tough issue, that one.

My hope is that improving living standards will also mean that more Turks return home, and bring with them more moderate attitudes and a desire to cooperate with the west. That way, extremism might be nipped in the bud.

I'll join you in hoping for that.

Forum List

Back