Greatest movie music composer?

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
Who is (or was) the greatest movie music composer? Some nominees and samples of their movies:

John Barry

Born Free, The Lion in Winter, 11 James Bond films

Elmer Bernstein

The Magnificent Seven, The Great Escape, Walk on the Wild Side

Henry Mancini

Breakfast at Tiffany’s, The Pink Panther, Days of Wine and Roses

John Williams

Jaws, Star Wars, the Indiana Jones films

Thomas Newman.

Road To Perdition, Skyfall, Wall-E, Bridge of Spies, 1917, Cinderella Man, Six Feet Under, The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, Scent of a Woman, and many more.

That's an easy one, John Williams. He would also succeed Arthur Fiedler as conductor of the Boston Pops Orchestra.
You beat me to the brunch,was about to say the same thing,yeah that’s an easy one no contest,the man was a genius with the Star Wars music.he was also the one that came up with the really fast passé lost in space them song,can’t post it now sense I’m on a tablet but will later.

Stripes is one of my favorite top ten favorite films so Elmer Bernstein would be second.

What is the matter with you so called film buffs ?
Bernard Herrmann wins it by so many miles that the fight for second place is irrelevant .

Does no one know anything about anybody here ?
DYOR . Bernard , by that country mile .

Some of the answers before mine are embarrassing . What films have you not watched and know nothing about ?

God help you .Bernard does all the sound tracks in heaven .

What is the matter with you so called film buffs ?
Bernard Herrmann wins it by so many miles that the fight for second place is irrelevant .

Does no one know anything about anybody here ?
DYOR . Bernard , by that country mile .

Some of the answers before mine are embarrassing . What films have you not watched and know nothing about ?

God help you .Bernard does all the sound tracks in heaven .
Uh no thst would be John Williams that wins it by so many miles.

Twisted Nerve 1968 by that mile .The most memorable , in front of the next three or four places .
It will drive you insane .

John Williams is right up there with the best .
But BH's CV is with the greatest masters, Welles and Hitchcock , who demanded him . For good reason

Several already mentioned here plus...

Max Steiner! among others he wrote the soundtrack for the movie "Casablanca" and "Gone With The Wind" and on and on and on..........the man was a true genius! :clap:

HFoVZdm.png

Several already mentioned here plus...

Max Steiner! among others he wrote the soundtrack for the movie "Casablanca" and "Gone With The Wind" and on and on and on..........the man was a true genius! :clap:

HFoVZdm.png
Well said . Up there with Bernard , though only an excellent second position .imho .
BH rolled out dozens .

Well said . Up there with Bernard , though only an excellent second position .imho .
BH rolled out dozens .

Max Steiner is my number one composer, but there were many amazing other ones of course!

Forum List

Back