Granny Finally Revisits Her Craftiness

Discussion in 'Arts & Crafts' started by Granny, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    I am finally, finally able to take up my stained glass hobby after about 3 or so years. All my stained glass stuff has been stashed in my daughter's garage ever since I moved to TN.

I went to Richmond, VA last week. My beloved son has returned safely from Iraq and stopped at his sister's house for a few days before going on to GA to see his wife. When I heard his plane had landed in Germany for refueling I was finally able to exhale.

He and my son-in-law hoisted my crates of glass into the back of my car and home I came! It goes without saying the first thing I did was to unwrap all my sheets of glass ... held them up to the sun and reveled in their beauty. I still need to go through other boxes of stuff with my tools, other supplies, etc. NOW I can do something useful with my time.

I'm going to draw my first pattern in a long time. I've decided to do a frog/lily pad/dragonfly piece. And after going through all my glass ... *sigh* ... I ended up buying yet another piece of glass yesterday because I wanted a particular look in the sky portion of the piece.

'Tis good for Granny to be occupied again. :D

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Barb

Barb Carpe Scrotum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,586
    I'm not a crafty person Granny, but I'm glad you're getting back in your groove.

Even more glad that your son is home safely.

3. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    You probably have some talent that you just haven't explored yet.

Thanks for mentioning my son. He has about two years left before he can retire. I hope he will remain stateside.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    great your son is home...

stained glass is great for forgetting things....when i am doing it i dont think...i am just into the glass...and yea i dont care how much glass you have...you always need that other color

5. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Isn't that the truth!! I just laid out $27 for a 1.42 sf piece of glass that is about as close as I can get to the sky I want!! It was Kokomo glass which is apparently getting more expensive by the day. There was another piece of glass that was about $9/sf but it just didn't quite have the same "feeling" as the more expensive piece!

6. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    most people dont realize glass can run that much a sq foot....kokomo has been pricey for a while now...

i have to be careful....i got a glass you couldnt cut with a ring saw lol which i wished i had...

i would love a cutters mate and a tauras ring saw

7. Granny

Granny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Which explains (at least in part) why finished pieces are so expensive!! By the time you take into account the cost of glass, foil, lead, all the chemicals, etc. and your time and labor ... it gets pricey.

Have you used the unleaded "lead"? I've always used the 60/40. When the unleaded stuff came out my circumstances put me in a position to have to give up glass so I never got to try the stuff. If you've used it, is it any good?

There's just so much really neat, beautiful, stuff in stained glass shops - you'd like to walk in with about a $1M to spend so that you can get it all NOW!! That's the thing - if you see a piece of glass that really catches your eye/heart, you'd better buy it right now because an hour from now that piece of glass may be purchased by someone else! Thankfully, I found several pieces of glass in my stash that I brought home with me that I think will work really well in the design I want to get started on.

8. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    yea i have tried the unleaded stuff and the flux that goes with it....i never could make it work...

plus if you are not working in it daily ...lead should not be a problem....i think i still have the unleaded and the flux....do you want to try it?

9. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    people dont realize how many times you handle one single piece of glass....

draw out the pattern on the glass....cut....grind...foil....solder (both sides)...clean...wax...clean

now i use baking soda to clean the glass too

10. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    i have a foiling table that works well....i use the smallest foil i can and will mix foil sizes