Government Teachers!

Mr. P

VIP Member
Aug 5, 2004
South of the Mason Dixon
I can't say if this really is true I found it on another site, it wouldn't surprise me though. It's the "Alex would be better off..." part that disturbs me the most.

In all fairness it could be a private school, but I doubt it.

oct26gallery2.jpg

I believe it. I had something almost just like this happen when I was in 9th grade. I insisted, against the teacher's word, that a light year was exclusively a unit of distance, not time (keep in mind that this was an honors class). I pulled out every dictionary I could find, but because every definition had the word 'year' in it, she never gave up on her idea that a light year was a unit of time. That was the only question I missed on a test all year, and I answered it knowing it would be counted wrong, because I have principles.

I believe it. I had something almost just like this happen when I was in 9th grade. I insisted, against the teacher's word, that a light year was exclusively a unit of distance, not time (keep in mind that this was an honors class). I pulled out every dictionary I could find, but because every definition had the word 'year' in it, she never gave up on her idea that a light year was a unit of time. That was the only question I missed on a test all year, and I answered it knowing it would be counted wrong, because I have principles.

Teachers are human and make errors. The problem is some of them forget that or don’t believe it at all. Their way is the only way, they are in charge, DAMN-IT!

I can believe it. I've seen instructors who simply couldn't handle making a mistake. Personally, I don't consider such people to be "teachers."

I challenge my students to double-check my work and if they find that I made an error, they get bonus points for correcting me. Provided of course, that they correct me in a respectful, polite manner.

I can believe it. I've seen instructors who simply couldn't handle making a mistake. Personally, I don't consider such people to be "teachers."

I challenge my students to double-check my work and if they find that I made an error, they get bonus points for correcting me. Provided of course, that they correct me in a respectful, polite manner.

There ya go! That's a win, win for everyone!

Sometimes it can be productive to be wrong on purpose, to see who is paying attention and has the confidence to speak up.

Of course, it is important to reveal the ploy eventually and make sure students have the actual correct answer.

Forum List

Back