Government Study Says 50% Will Be Mentally Ill at Some Point in Their Lives

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by onedomino, Jun 7, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    This explains a lot: Howard Dean, Air America, Boston Red Sox fans, etc.

2. USViking

USViking VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I saw this article in the paper, and it is a crock.

"Extended sadness" is a mental disorder symptom?! "Extreme anxiety" is an actual disorder? These are part of the burden that each human being must bear for a lifetime.

Even if the results are accurate, then they do the shrinkology sciences no good, since most of those afflicted apparently enjoy spontaneous recovery, without therapy.

In fact, one of the few things I recall from Psych 101 is that the rate of unassisted recovery from mental disorder is as good as the rate for those patients having therapy, which places the entire field of psychological medicine under suspicion for its questionable efficacy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Someone told me this...but I dismissed it as just another lie the voices in my head tell me.

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I totally agree... what a crock of crap.

5. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Well, whether you gentlemen think it's a crock or not, it's true. I have friends who have had "extreme anxiety" and such others mentioned. This goes on their medical record. It follows them.....
    And should you ever have something else .....it's blamed on your mental problem

6. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    That's why I don't go to the doctor! :D

7. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Did you pass Psychology 101? You do not think that depression and anxiety can be mental illnesses? Think again. According to the National Institute of Mental Health there are five types of anxiety disorder and 19 million affected: generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), social phobia (or social anxiety disorder): http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/anxiety.cfm Regarding depression, one form of which is extended sadness: "depressive illnesses often interfere with normal functioning and cause pain and suffering not only to those who have a disorder, but also to those who care about them. Serious depression can destroy family life as well as the life of the ill person." More than 9% of the population suffers from some form of depression: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/depression.cfm#intro

8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    And on what do you base this opinion? Your own $20 million study that interviewed almost 10,000 people that contradicts the research findings?

9. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

How about his personal experience from spending years on this planet and an understanding that 50% of the people that he has met are not psychologically unsound.

10. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I base it on my observation of human beings in the world. I do not see half of the population suffering from mental illness. Then again, I'm sure that my definition of mental illness is a bit more limited than the National Institute for Mental Health, which, frankly, stands to gain a lot of funding if there are supposedly a lot of mentally ill people out there.

I'm not trying to downplay people who actually do have mental problems. But half of America? I don't buy it.