Concussion

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Hobbit, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Anybody else here ever have one. I do right now (hoping it goes away soon) and it's...interesting. I'm a little foggy headed, not unlike being sleepy, but not entirely like it, either. I have trouble walking a straight line or standing up straight with my eyes closed. I also sometimes have trouble forming complete sentences or otherwise engaging in comprehensible verbal communication. Just wondering what anyone else went through. Doc told me I should be fine in a week or else I should see a neurologist.

2. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I hit my head on the frame of my waterbed one Saturday night, and didn't leave my room until Monday morning, still barely able to walk or see straight. I was halucinating and at one point I woke up choking on vomit. It was a blast, took two weeks to recover.

My mother was out of town and my ever concerned step-father didn't check to see if I was alive since it wasn't unusal for me NOT to come out of my room for long periods of time.

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I fell out of a bunk bed at age 7. I walked in my sleep, so must have decided to stroll. In this case, head first.

In hospital 2 nights. Took about 3 weeks till I was ok, figure has to be a lot harder as an adult.

4. nosarcasm

nosarcasm Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Maybe a family related genetic defect :teeth:

If it doesnt get better try this :spank3: works for my tv.

PS: Hope you are getting better soon.

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    have you been to the hospital??? if not, GO.

I've had 2 or 3 actually. :(

6. IControlThePast

IControlThePast Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I got one through sports, and it wasn't a light one either. I didn't recognize my own father. I felt like I was floating too. My mental state was similar to my heatstroke, in that the scary part was I didn't realize how bad it was at first, or notice anything particularly wrong, but then all of a sudden you notice something was way out of place and screwed up. Fortunately, my mom is a Neurologist. In the long term, it gave me memory problems, and some speech difficulties, gave me a shorter attention span, and generally everything was much harder to do. But I think the experience helped me too. I got a great work ethic because the basics were hard, which helped prevent me from slacking off once I regained my previous intelligence. I did 20 minutes of meditation and focus each night, fading into sleep, and still do it several times a week. This has really helped rehabilitate me and corrected the long term problems, and is something you might want to try. My memory now is even better than it was before the concussion. It took me about half a year with the meditation to fully recover.

7. MyName

MyName Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Concussions are nothing to play with. One of the dumbest statements that I have EVER heard uttered is as follows.....'Oh, its JUST a concussion'. :rolleyes:

Any type of head injury is nothing to mess with - trust me on this. See a qualified medical professional and let THEM be the judge over whether it is serious or not.

Imagine 2 tupperware bowls that are 2 different sizes. One is 9 inches across and the other is 8 (meaning that one can fit inside the other).
    Imagine making jello in the smaller of the two and then once it has set, taking that molded jello and placing it in the larger of the 2 bowls and then snapping the lid on it. The jello mold is nearly the same size as the bowl but not quite.
    Now imagine dropping or shaking that bowl. The jello would be slamming into the side of the bowl and such. That is the analogy that we got in nursing school about what a concussion does to the brain. SImple, but true.

Good luck and let us all know what the doc says.

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Oh, I went to the doctor twice. Once because it had been quite some time since I hit my head and I still felt woozy, and again two days ago because my symptoms suddenly got worse. Doc says the CAT scan is normal, so there's nothing major enough to be visual, but in case it doesn't get better, he gave me the number of a good neurologist.

At least I'm talking fairly normal (well, as normal as I usually talk) and the nausea has gone away, but my balance is still impaired.

9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,858
    New test to diagnose concussions...
    :eusa_clap:
    Study: High-speed eye tests aid in diagnosis of concussion
    April 18, 2014 — In studies relevant to the gridiron and other kinds of battlefields, researchers hope to use a new test based on eye movements to bring increased accuracy to the diagnosis of concussions.

10. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Doubt it. If he actually had one he wouldn't be able to post on an internets forum.