Government Regulations

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Lumpy 1, Jul 30, 2012.

1. P@triot

P@triot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,681
    Um, last time I checked, "pink slime" had not been categorized as a poison and had not killed a single person. Have no idea what the other two things you listed are referring to

2. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,018
    This is a snippet of a pretty good article we should all probably read.

and yup.. with so many regulations by government over our lives it's daunting to know where to start, some good many ridiculous...:dunno:

I suppose a member could post on regulations in particular they find outrageous.

and finally.. both Republicans and Democrats in power pass goof ball regulations and
    plenty of them.

-----------------------------------:cheers2:

How Obama Compares

Obama’s White House approved 613 federal rules during the first 33 months of his term, 4.7 percent fewer than the 643 cleared by President George W. Bush’s administration in the same time frame, according to an Office of Management and Budget statistical database reviewed by Bloomberg.

The number of significant federal rules, defined as those costing more than $100 million, has gone up under Obama, with 129 approved so far, compared with 90 for Bush, 115 for President Bill Clinton and 127 for the first President Bush over the same period in their first terms. In part that’s because $100 million in past years was worth more than it is now due to inflation, Livermore said.

In the last 12 months through the end of September, the cost range of new regulations is estimated to be $8 billion to $9 billion, a decrease from 2010, according to non-partisan Government Accountability Office reports analyzed by Bloomberg. That total put the average annual cost of regulations under Obama at about $7 billion to $11 billion, compared with the $6.9 billion average from 1981 through 2008 in current dollars, according to the OMB data.

Obama Wrote 5% Fewer Rules Than Bush While Costing Business - Bloomberg

3. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,957
    Kudos to Lumpy on another great thread. I don't have time to drag my soapbox in here right now, but subscribed and I shall return. :)

4. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,333
    [​IMG]

5. dblack

dblack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,646
    It depends entirely on the regulation in question. I see many that are, many that aren't.

6. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,263
    A reasonable question.

However, before we begin a discussion on reasonable, your entire list of 'fears' are unfounded.

I have never known of any food to conation poison. A nutcase injecting poison into a package cannot be prevented with a government program.

I have never known anyone who has sold gerbil as beef, or liquified joint compound as milk. But then again, when I grew up, and My parents were alive, we could tell the difference between beef, pork, chicken, lamb and goat just by looking at it. Milk was always determined milk by the simple expedient of sniffing it. Of course, back in My day, milk was left on the door step in the morning with nothing more than a cardboard stopper in a glass jar. Somehow, we all survived. It was because we took the time to understand the food we were eating.

As for cars...are you actually making a claim to the NBC, or CBS special where they had to light off an incendiary device to prove their claim that a particular model of car exploded? You do realize that it was debunked, right?

Cars carry an explosive liquid...precautions have been taken to keep them from blowing up. Yes, government regulations had a hand in that, for which I am thankful.

But to point to a few dozen needed and realistic regulations as justification for the thousands of unjustified regulations being placed upon us today is ludicrous.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg-52mHIjhs]Bayer Exposed ( HIV Contaminated Vaccine ) - YouTube[/ame]

and thats WITH oversight...imagine without

and theyve survived it.

8. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    No. Im not refering to that. I was pulling that out of my ass as just an extreme example.

But I have been in TWO cars that caught fire for no apparent reason at the time LOL. After the second one I joked that either God is looking out for me, or he has it in for me...LOL

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  9. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,263
    LOL...Glad to know you made it out alive!

But seriously, these were cars subjected to severe governemnt regulation, no?

Gasoline is a volatile liquid...so much more than the public thinks, mainly because they are so used to it in their lives. A better program, government or otherwise, would be to teach the dangers of the liquids we all take for granted in our daily lives.

10. swizzlee

swizzlee RedWhiteAndBlue

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Would you consider this excessive?

Our government requires oil companies to use a particular product in their gasoline blends or be penalized millions of dollars.

That regulation has been in effect for several years with oil companies paying huge fines.......because that particular product they are being forced to use DOES NOT YET EXIST!

Negotiations with the government to have this rescinded have failed and the oil companies are now forced to sue.

What exactly are the limits of stupidity in our government?