Government Regulations

Depends on the regulation, doesnt it?

I mean I really like my food not to contain poison in it. I like for my beef to actually be beef, my milk to actually be milk. I like for my cars to not explode on their own while Im driving down the road ( though soemtiems wish the guy who just cut me off or is driving slow in the fast lane wouldnt be so lucky )

Like you said, excessive regulations can stifle business and I agree. The difference of opinion we would then have, at least in my opinion, is : what is excessive?

Do you really believe that corporations are going to poison your food if not for regulation? Really? They would go out of business in about 3.3 minutes if they ever poisoned anyone.

All of the reasons given for why regulation is needed is simply make believe. If a company wants to stay in business (and they do) and continue to make money (and they do), they are going to provide a product that is good for their consumers.

Pink slime.

Love Canal.

Cuyahoga River.

Um, last time I checked, "pink slime" had not been categorized as a poison and had not killed a single person. Have no idea what the other two things you listed are referring to

Are they limiting individual rights, stifling business , giving to much power over to the government, wasting money etc?

My opinion.. Yup

as an example in California.....(just the tip of the iceberg)

Californians are well aware of the costs of income, property and sales taxes. However, sometimes the hidden costs of regulation go unnoticed. These regulations are present every single day in every Californian’s life: what kind of light bulbs we can buy, what age our children must be in a car seat while driving, what food we buy and how we cook it, right down to the volume of our television commercials. The costs of regulations are imposed upon businesses and passed directly to the consumers in the form of high prices and limited choices. It is difficult to quantify the total costs of regulations; suffice it to say the cumulative burden is staggering. And the cost of complying with excessive government mandates on businesses are directly borne by every man, woman and child.

Excessive Government Regulations Are Strangling California Businesses :: Fox&Hounds

What food you buy and how you cook it?

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

There's no one in this country who is preventing us from becoming fat slobs, since that's at least half of this Humpty Dumpty nation we now live in where folks like Palin show up handing out cookies to students because the First Lady is somehow wrong for taking up healthy eating, which would reduce health care costs and increase productivity in this pear-shaped country we live in.

mmmmm.....pears.........

In other news, I'm surprised to have to admit it, but there have been less regulations passed by this President than by the previous one.

I'm for the Volcker Rule, are you?

Anyone who is against that regulation can't see the forest for the trees.

This is a snippet of a pretty good article we should all probably read.

and yup.. with so many regulations by government over our lives it's daunting to know where to start, some good many ridiculous...:dunno:

I suppose a member could post on regulations in particular they find outrageous.

and finally.. both Republicans and Democrats in power pass goof ball regulations and
plenty of them.

-----------------------------------:cheers2:

How Obama Compares

Obama’s White House approved 613 federal rules during the first 33 months of his term, 4.7 percent fewer than the 643 cleared by President George W. Bush’s administration in the same time frame, according to an Office of Management and Budget statistical database reviewed by Bloomberg.

The number of significant federal rules, defined as those costing more than $100 million, has gone up under Obama, with 129 approved so far, compared with 90 for Bush, 115 for President Bill Clinton and 127 for the first President Bush over the same period in their first terms. In part that’s because $100 million in past years was worth more than it is now due to inflation, Livermore said.

In the last 12 months through the end of September, the cost range of new regulations is estimated to be $8 billion to $9 billion, a decrease from 2010, according to non-partisan Government Accountability Office reports analyzed by Bloomberg. That total put the average annual cost of regulations under Obama at about $7 billion to $11 billion, compared with the $6.9 billion average from 1981 through 2008 in current dollars, according to the OMB data.

Obama Wrote 5% Fewer Rules Than Bush While Costing Business - Bloomberg

Kudos to Lumpy on another great thread. I don't have time to drag my soapbox in here right now, but subscribed and I shall return. :)

Pink slime.

Love Canal.

Cuyahoga River.

Um, last time I checked, "pink slime" had not been categorized as a poison and had not killed a single person. Have no idea what the other two things you listed are referring to

Great_Lakes_Burning_River.jpg

Are they limiting individual rights, stifling business , giving to much power over to the government, wasting money etc?

It depends entirely on the regulation in question. I see many that are, many that aren't.

My opinion.. Yup

Californians are well aware of the costs of income, property and sales taxes. However, sometimes the hidden costs of regulation go unnoticed. These regulations are present every single day in every Californian’s life: what kind of light bulbs we can buy, what age our children must be in a car seat while driving, what food we buy and how we cook it, right down to the volume of our television commercials. The costs of regulations are imposed upon businesses and passed directly to the consumers in the form of high prices and limited choices. It is difficult to quantify the total costs of regulations; suffice it to say the cumulative burden is staggering. And the cost of complying with excessive government mandates on businesses are directly borne by every man, woman and child.

Excessive Government Regulations Are Strangling California Businesses :: Fox&Hounds

I mean I really like my food not to contain poison in it. I like for my beef to actually be beef, my milk to actually be milk. I like for my cars to not explode on their own while Im driving down the road ( though soemtiems wish the guy who just cut me off or is driving slow in the fast lane wouldnt be so lucky )

Like you said, excessive regulations can stifle business and I agree. The difference of opinion we would then have, at least in my opinion, is : what is excessive?
A reasonable question.

However, before we begin a discussion on reasonable, your entire list of 'fears' are unfounded.

I have never known of any food to conation poison. A nutcase injecting poison into a package cannot be prevented with a government program.

I have never known anyone who has sold gerbil as beef, or liquified joint compound as milk. But then again, when I grew up, and My parents were alive, we could tell the difference between beef, pork, chicken, lamb and goat just by looking at it. Milk was always determined milk by the simple expedient of sniffing it. Of course, back in My day, milk was left on the door step in the morning with nothing more than a cardboard stopper in a glass jar. Somehow, we all survived. It was because we took the time to understand the food we were eating.

As for cars...are you actually making a claim to the NBC, or CBS special where they had to light off an incendiary device to prove their claim that a particular model of car exploded? You do realize that it was debunked, right?

Cars carry an explosive liquid...precautions have been taken to keep them from blowing up. Yes, government regulations had a hand in that, for which I am thankful.

But to point to a few dozen needed and realistic regulations as justification for the thousands of unjustified regulations being placed upon us today is ludicrous.

Do you really believe that corporations are going to poison your food if not for regulation? Really? They would go out of business in about 3.3 minutes if they ever poisoned anyone.

All of the reasons given for why regulation is needed is simply make believe. If a company wants to stay in business (and they do) and continue to make money (and they do), they are going to provide a product that is good for their consumers.

Upton Sinclairs The jungle was required reading in my Aermican Literature class growing up.

You should give it a read and keep in mind that such things actually went on before the FDA and regulations.

And the FDA and regulations occurred long before technology. There was no internet before the FDA. There was no Facebook before the FDA. There was no texting before the FDA. There was no Twitter before the FDA.

The reality is, in this information age, no company would survive true negligence. Some might survive a genuine accident that causes the death of a consumer, but none would survive nefarious activities.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg-52mHIjhs]Bayer Exposed ( HIV Contaminated Vaccine ) - YouTube[/ame]

and thats WITH oversight...imagine without

and theyve survived it.

My opinion.. Yup

A reasonable question.

However, before we begin a discussion on reasonable, your entire list of 'fears' are unfounded.

I have never known of any food to conation poison. A nutcase injecting poison into a package cannot be prevented with a government program.

I have never known anyone who has sold gerbil as beef, or liquified joint compound as milk. But then again, when I grew up, and My parents were alive, we could tell the difference between beef, pork, chicken, lamb and goat just by looking at it. Milk was always determined milk by the simple expedient of sniffing it. Of course, back in My day, milk was left on the door step in the morning with nothing more than a cardboard stopper in a glass jar. Somehow, we all survived. It was because we took the time to understand the food we were eating.

As for cars...are you actually making a claim to the NBC, or CBS special where they had to light off an incendiary device to prove their claim that a particular model of car exploded? You do realize that it was debunked, right?Cars carry an explosive liquid...precautions have been taken to keep them from blowing up. Yes, government regulations had a hand in that, for which I am thankful.

But to point to a few dozen needed and realistic regulations as justification for the thousands of unjustified regulations being placed upon us today is ludicrous.

No. Im not refering to that. I was pulling that out of my ass as just an extreme example.

But I have been in TWO cars that caught fire for no apparent reason at the time LOL. After the second one I joked that either God is looking out for me, or he has it in for me...LOL

Last edited:

A reasonable question.

As for cars...are you actually making a claim to the NBC, or CBS special where they had to light off an incendiary device to prove their claim that a particular model of car exploded? You do realize that it was debunked, right?Cars carry an explosive liquid...precautions have been taken to keep them from blowing up. Yes, government regulations had a hand in that, for which I am thankful.

No. Im not refering to that. I was pulling that out of my ass as just an extreme example.

But I have been in TWO cars that caught fire for no apparent reason at the time LOL. After the second one I joked that either God is looking out for me, or he has it in for me...LOL
LOL...Glad to know you made it out alive!

But seriously, these were cars subjected to severe governemnt regulation, no?

Gasoline is a volatile liquid...so much more than the public thinks, mainly because they are so used to it in their lives. A better program, government or otherwise, would be to teach the dangers of the liquids we all take for granted in our daily lives.

Would you consider this excessive?

Our government requires oil companies to use a particular product in their gasoline blends or be penalized millions of dollars.

That regulation has been in effect for several years with oil companies paying huge fines.......because that particular product they are being forced to use DOES NOT YET EXIST!

Negotiations with the government to have this rescinded have failed and the oil companies are now forced to sue.

What exactly are the limits of stupidity in our government?

A reasonable question.

Gasoline is a volatile liquid...so much more than the public thinks, mainly because they are so used to it in their lives. A better program, government or otherwise, would be to teach the dangers of the liquids we all take for granted in our daily lives.

Thank you and Yes they were subject to government regulation.

The fact that they caught fire leads one to one of three possible conclusions ( off the top of my head if you have another feel free to add it )

1) The regulation is useless
2) Further regulation was needed
3) Somebody at the factory wasnt giving their best that day.

The fact that they caught fire leads one to one of three possible conclusions ( off the top of my head if you have another feel free to add it )

I"m thinknig 3 and 4...

Whats that? 4 you say?

4. inferior materials were used in that particular case causing a cascade of failures that resulted in the fire.

It can happen...

Can it be prevented? Yes....but not 100% of the time.

I"m thinknig 3 and 4...

Whats that? 4 you say?

4. inferior materials were used in that particular case causing a cascade of failures that resulted in the fire.

It can happen...

Can it be prevented? Yes....but not 100% of the time.

I deem #4 as an acceptable ( and most likely ) addition to the list. :)

Forum List

Back