Government Regulations

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Lumpy 1, Jul 30, 2012.

1. eflatminor

eflatminor Classical Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,111
    Well, when I was a kid before the so called great society, I recall fewer, if any, incidents of food with actual poison in it. Beef was always beef. Same for milk. I do recall the Ford Pinto having potential explosion on impact issues, which were uncovered not by regulators, but a by free press. Funny, 35 years later, we see Chevy recalls their Volts. Apparently they're catching fire. I guess decades of ever increasing government regulation just hasn't been quite enough to rid us of the scourge of exploding cars...:eusa_eh:

We passed the reasonable stage a long, long time ago.

2. Moonglow

Moonglow Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40,685
    Before goverment regulations there was peer pressure from society.

3. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,197

Unfortunately, I think we swing too much from one extreme to the other. Usually the decisions are more political than common sense, that's all I'm saying.

4. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343

Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle to illustrate the plight of the American Worker and the conditions by which they worked in. However, the public was outraged instead by his discriptions of the meat packing industry and how the food was being processed before it went to market. Sinclair, a scoialist, later said in an interview that he had tried to hit the public " in the hearts, but instead hit them in the stomache"

Teddy Roosevelt HATED Sinclair but after he sent his own trusted advisors into some meat packing plants for inspection, they were disgusted by what they found even though the plants knew they were coming and had cleaned the places up prior to their arrival!

Their reports to Teddy were directly responsible for the Bureau of Chemistry which later became the FDA.

Sinclair was outraged that the taxpayer and not the corporations would bear the cost of the inspections.

Like I said, we had to study the book in American Literature class in High School.

5. IGetItAlready

IGetItAlready BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +154
    I don't think there is any question that SOME level of federal regulation is beneficial.

The problems start when power mad tyrants with their own agendas use the "we're looking out for you" angle to force their will on others.

Case in point: The regulation that our fuel producers are being screwed with requiring them to include an additive in their product that so far only exists in very small quantities in a few laboratories.

Cellulosic biofuel

6. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I once read that any oversight of the public sector can begin trong but can only weaken over time as the experts ion the field must always come from the industry itself.

I suspect that the see saw youre refering to could be a function of pulling control of said oversight from the control of either the government or the industry itself. As one gains control, the oversight swings so far to one extreme that the other side must then wrest control back and then swings to back to the other extreme.

7. P@triot

P@triot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,708
    And the FDA and regulations occurred long before technology. There was no internet before the FDA. There was no Facebook before the FDA. There was no texting before the FDA. There was no Twitter before the FDA.

The reality is, in this information age, no company would survive true negligence. Some might survive a genuine accident that causes the death of a consumer, but none would survive nefarious activities.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,014
    Pink slime.

Love Canal.

Cuyahoga River.

9. Interpol

Interpol Radical Centrist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +770

What food you buy and how you cook it?

I'm not sure what you're talking about.

There's no one in this country who is preventing us from becoming fat slobs, since that's at least half of this Humpty Dumpty nation we now live in where folks like Palin show up handing out cookies to students because the First Lady is somehow wrong for taking up healthy eating, which would reduce health care costs and increase productivity in this pear-shaped country we live in.

mmmmm.....pears.........

In other news, I'm surprised to have to admit it, but there have been less regulations passed by this President than by the previous one.

I'm for the Volcker Rule, are you?

Anyone who is against that regulation can't see the forest for the trees.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  10. ItsjustmeIthink

ItsjustmeIthink Social Capitalist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I strongly agree with Vidi.

A prime example of a good regulation, imo, would be building codes. Its certainly cheaper for people in Cali to construct flimsy buildings...but what happens when a natural disaster hits?

In regards to business and the economy I've always thought that, given America's history of economic strength, the US should shy away from regulations and instead look upon cost-efficent incentives.