Government Gone Wild: Special Interests Exposed

I don't understand where the disconnect is. The military needs to be shrunk as well. Unfortunately, that's ALL the left wants to do. The entire government, ALL OF IT, needs to be shrunk. It is far too large.

Just because someone works for the government means they should never be laid off?

(And I don't mean Military).

T, I don't think they should be laid off, but their salary should be equal to the same job in the private sector. Matter of fact, most of the government jobs BELONG in the private sector.

How much does an architect make in the free market for designing a billion dollar bridge?

Why does an architect have to be a government employee?

Why can't the government just contract an architect to design a bridge for a prearranged fee and then be done with him?

Construction workers etc do not need to be employed by the government. All these people can be employed by private business and these private businesses can all bid for any available government contracts. The same arrangement can be used for the majority of government jobs.

This way we won't have to pay for pensions and all the other shit government employees get.

I don't understand where the disconnect is. The military needs to be shrunk as well. Unfortunately, that's ALL the left wants to do. The entire government, ALL OF IT, needs to be shrunk. It is far too large.
Cut the Military? You invite aggression. One of the FEW government functions authorized...Article 1, Section 8.

Our military is certainly large enough to be cut.

Why the hell do we still have bases all over the world when we can bring those soldiers home to defend our own borders?

Cut the Military? You invite aggression.....

I can certainly see how a perception of weakness might encourage aggression from our enemies. But do how strong do we have to be? Do you think there's ever such a thing as too much military strength? Do you think it's possible that there are limits to how much security military strength can achieve?

I think there are, and I think that's the lesson we're learning with terrorism. The most dangerous sort of enemy is a desperate one. Our overwhelming military presence in the world, and our willingness to use it to manipulate foreign nations internal affairs, creates just that kind of desperation. People who resort to terrorism do so because they see no hope of defending their views through traditional diplomacy.

Cut the Military? You invite aggression.....

I can certainly see how a perception of weakness might encourage aggression from our enemies. But do how strong do we have to be? Do you think there's ever such a thing as too much military strength? Do you think it's possible that there are limits to how much security military strength can achieve?

I think there are, and I think that's the lesson we're learning with terrorism. The most dangerous sort of enemy is a desperate one. Our overwhelming military presence in the world, and our willingness to use it to manipulate foreign nations internal affairs, creates just that kind of desperation. People who resort to terrorism do so because they see no hope of defending their views through traditional diplomacy.

I would like to add that it is a misconception that cutting military spending in some way equates to a weaker military. I do not see you applying that same standard when talking about schools and walker, do I.

The fact is that we could cut half our spending and be twice as strong. The amount of waste and corruption that exists in the military is MASSIVE. We need to get a handle on it. The vast majority of our overseas bases can be closed with little to no impact on our operational stance. It is one of the things the AF has been doing at the same time as INCREASING the operational tempo. The secrete is in consolidation and efficiency. There are billions that can be saved by changing the way the military does business. It is the EXACT same concept that you and many others are pushing for the government. We do not need more defense, we need more efficient defense. The system we have now is hindering, not helping, us.

Cut the Military? You invite aggression. One of the FEW government functions authorized...Article 1, Section 8.

Our military is certainly large enough to be cut.

Why the hell do we still have bases all over the world when we can bring those soldiers home to defend our own borders?
Fair point. Close the bases that would be fine.

Forum List

Back