Governemnt assisatnce to start small businesses??

After 2 years he has saved 10K...

His opening outlay is less than 4K

Better?

Does he have health insurance? If not, better hope he doesn't get really sick or that $4,000 is going away. And what about doctor appointments?

Oh, and what about the Dentist? Doesn't want his teeth to rot out does he? Does he have coverage for that? If not, going to be awfully expensive.

Also, if he's taking the bus, then it's likely a public bus. Which means he's taking subsidized transportation because otherwise it would be more expensive. So hey, he's getting government help right there otherwise he wouldn't be able to afford to get where he needs to go. :thup:

I can keep going, but I think my point's been made.

you are such an ass.
No wonder you believe in living off the government.
You find reasons why NOT to do for yourself.

you are an ass Modbert.

I started this thread BECUSE IN ANOTHER THREAD SOMEONE ON THE LEFT SAID THAT THERE IS NOTHING BEING DONE (BY THE GOVERNMENT) TO ASSIST NEW BUSINESSES....

And I said that in my very first line in this thread.

So take your arrogant attitude...and your negativeness...and shove it up someone elses ass.

So why not reply in the other thread? Whoever the person on the Left said that is ignorant anyway if that is their position.

Also, calling me an ass and saying I'm arrogant isn't going to make my criticisms any less valid. :thup:

Does he have health insurance? If not, better hope he doesn't get really sick or that $4,000 is going away. And what about doctor appointments?

Oh, and what about the Dentist? Doesn't want his teeth to rot out does he? Does he have coverage for that? If not, going to be awfully expensive.

Also, if he's taking the bus, then it's likely a public bus. Which means he's taking subsidized transportation because otherwise it would be more expensive. So hey, he's getting government help right there otherwise he wouldn't be able to afford to get where he needs to go. :thup:

When I took my business fulltime, I didn't have medical, dental or optical. That is why it is tough to start a business and government regulation, reporting and taxation really effect your success in a negative way. It is also why I have a very hard time having a government official like Obama tell me I need to help others more. When I take a risk I expect a reward if I did things right.

you are such an ass.
No wonder you believe in living off the government.
You find reasons why NOT to do for yourself.

I never said I believed in living off the government. I'm just pointing out expenses that people deal with in the real world. If you wish to use models that are suppose to reflect the real world, then you need to actually account for all the costs. You can't pick and choose what to include.

Keep calling me an ass though, gives me a good laugh. :lol:

Better?

he doesnt wear new shoes/clothes either so he def. aint fuckin no dimes(perfect 10's).

son is lucky if he catches a 3 on the low under the bus bench outside of denny's

yo...

when I started my first?

Didnt buy new anything foir over 2 years.
I struggled and I sacrificed.
I ate cantaloupe for dinner twice a week casue they were a dollar a piece
I lived in a basement apartment paying 280 a month.
i walked nearly a mile to the closest subway to save on the bus fare to get to the subway...as they did not accept bus to subway transfers in my area
I worked at a grocery store at night

I certainly didnt need to spend 18K a year to survivie...I wanted to own my own business.....

But whatever......

When I took my business fulltime, I didn't have medical, dental or optical. That is why it is tough to start a business and government regulation, reporting and taxation really effect your success in a negative way. It is also why I have a very hard time having a government official like Obama tell me I need to help others more. When I take a risk I expect a reward if I did things right.

yep...exactly...

But the flaw modbert finds?

What? One must sacrifice to start a business? No way! I will need new clothes, and top of the line accomodations...and if anything is left over....well...then maybe I can try to save for my own business...

I'm referring to himself since he is his own employee.

It's interesting you say all that though. Here is some good news on the medical front:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/busi...e-benefits-expand-among-small-businesses.html

GLADSTONE, Mo. – Major insurers around the country are reporting that a growing number of small businesses are signing up to give their workers health benefits, a sign of potential progress for the nation’s battered health care system.

The increase, although not universal, has brought new security to thousands of workers, many of whom did not have insurance or were at risk of losing it.
An important selling point has been a tax credit that the nation’s new health care law provides to companies with fewer than 25 employees and moderate-to-low pay scales to help offset the cost of providing benefits. The tax break is one of the few provisions to kick in early; much of the law rolls out over the next few years.

“We certainly did not expect to see this in this economy,” said Gary Claxton, who oversees an annual survey of employer health plans for the nonprofit Kaiser Family Foundation. “It’s surprising.”

Nationwide, the Kaiser survey found that 59 percent of firms with fewer than 10 employees offered health benefits, up from 46 percent last year.

he doesnt wear new shoes/clothes either so he def. aint fuckin no dimes(perfect 10's).

son is lucky if he catches a 3 on the low under the bus bench outside of denny's

yo...

when I started my first?

i walked nearly a mile to the closest subway to save on the bus fare to get to the subway...as they did not accept bus to subway transfers in my area

I certainly didnt need to spend 18K a year to survivie...I wanted to own my own business.....

But whatever......

You're supposed to work smarter. It saves time to, you know, enjoy family and friends and actually spending your hard earned bread.

When all of my friends busted ass in High School and didn't sleep on test nights and shit, know what I looked into?

Hmm....Community College - > Hmm, 10% of the price of University *plus* University recognizes the two year degree towards my 4-year.

So, I built up my fan base (networking via partying), breezed through High School with mediocre grades....

spent my 1st 2 years of college busting ass, straight 3.8's, while only paying 10% of my stupid young friends at University...

Transferred to University, a *very* respected school, in Siena College.

Got my same piece of paper they got.

Have less Tuition debt, by half. Same degree. 1/2 the work.

Smarter. Not harder. Live your life enjoying people, not "the machine." The overly career focused don't end up smiling in the long run. We all die.

yep...exactly...

But the flaw modbert finds?

What? One must sacrifice to start a business? No way! I will need new clothes, and top of the line accomodations...and if anything is left over....well...then maybe I can try to save for my own business...

How dishonest. I never said new clothes or top of the line clothing either for one's business. I was referring to one's personal life. Of course, that was only one of the smaller expenses that you ignored.

You have continued to ignore the much larger ones that you aren't plugging into your model for good reason. Since someone who is working in such a lifestyle as yours would likely be working paycheck to paycheck, not saving up $20k. Hell, you already had to change your model from $20k to $10k. However, you still have some way to go.

yo...

when I started my first?

But whatever......

You're supposed to work smarter. It saves time to, you know, enjoy family and friends and actually spending your hard earned bread.

When all of my friends busted ass in High School and didn't sleep on test nights and shit, know what I looked into?

Hmm....Community College - > Hmm, 10% of the price of University *plus* University recognizes the two year degree towards my 4-year.

So, I built up my fan base (networking via partying), breezed through High School with mediocre grades....

spent my 1st 2 years of college busting ass, straight 3.8's, while only paying 10% of my stupid young friends at University...

Transferred to University, a *very* respected school, in Siena College.

Got my same piece of paper they got.

Have less Tuition debt, by half. Same degree. 1/2 the work.

Smarter. Not harder. Live your life enjoying people, not "the machine." The overly career focused don't end up smiling in the long run. We all die.

Sacrificed my first two years. Ate at little cost...worked loing hours...had very little social life.

Sold my first company after 5 years.

Now on my third.

Have not had to scarifice since 1990...and living a great life.

THAT WAS working smart.

For 2 years of sacrifice, I have had a lifetime of enjoyment....a beautiful wife, 2 boys through college....a great home... a shitass golf game.....and I have employed many over the years...past president of my trade association (local chapter)...highly regarded...coached football and soccer.....

Was it worht eating cantelopupe for dinner twioce a week? Living in ones basement for 2 years?

Wouldnt change a thing if I had to do it all over.

Albeit...I would have likely stayed in the corp for 2 more years.

The tax code provides plenty of assistance for small business owners.

Really? Just what assistance are you talking about?

I recently lost a tax break that you all get. I can no longer contribute to a Roth IRA so I will be whacked for even more taxes when I retire than you.

So I pay more now and more later.

Some assistance.

Last edited:
Government helping small-business startups is like their embarking on a mosquito feeding program. Yeah, it creates a few jobs.....but the real job growth comes when they starting people to kill all them damn mosquitoes.

You mean like all the government regulators?

It's just not profound. Who the fuck says "Government assistance is absolutely necessary to start a business," anyways?

How about not a leftist, not a right(y? ist?), but a fool.

It's a bonehead thing to say

Personally anyone that begs the government for business assistance is an idiot as all that "help" comes with so many strings attached that it's not worth it.

Better?

One can make a calculated risk to forgo health and dental insurance for a short time. I have and it worked out just fine and after a couple years I went and got insurance again.

It was really no big deal as I was young and healthy and I'm really obsessive about brushing my teeth.

In a debate in another thread, someone said to me that nothing is being done to promote small business, (I assume he meant by the government) He, himself, is in the military but is also a talented haircutter and he said without his GI Bill assistance, he would never be able to start up a barber shop. I agree in his case as he is on in years and doesn’t have the time to dedicate to building toward a business. But most people...say in their 20's dont need Government assistance to start a business.....so as a business planner, I laid this out for a 22 year old with the same aspirations......
someone on the left....please point out the flaw ( I dont think there is any)....

A 22 year old decides he wants to cut hair....but his goal is to own a barbershop within 5 years.......He has the talent and gets a job at a local barber shop making 8 bucks a head....10 heads a day....400 a week. In the meantime, he gets a job at a local convenience store making 8 bucks an hour working form 6-12...... 3 days a week and 8-5 on Sunday....another 200 a week.

So now he is busting his ass making 600 a week.

In the meantime he is building a reputation as an excellent barber...and as a single guy, he is socking away 200 a week.....as the 300 a week (after taxes) is enough to support his lifestyle as he is not going out partying and not taking vacations.....he is focused on ownig his own business....

After 2 years he has 20K saved up....now he can quit the convenience store and start cutting hair in his apartment for friends and acquaintenances....bulding up his reputation and determining if he can really do it on his own....still making the money with the barbershop as well.

He likes what he sees...so he looks for real etstate and rents a 500 sq foot store front for 10 bucks a foot....5000 a year.....415 a month.....2 months deposit (new business needs to give 2 months deposit)...and 1 month rent...about 1300 outlay for the store.....He buys a used barber chair....700 bucks...he buys hair cutting items.....500 bucks.....he signs a deal with a vendor of hair products.....incorporates himself (200 bucks) and gets liability insurance (1000 bucks)....

So before he opoens the door...he has 20K saved up and initial expenses (including first nmonths rent) of less than 4K.

Now he quits his job with the barber...and has 16K savings left over to live on...and he makes his business work.

He gets busy...uses some of his savings for a second chair...pays some 22 year old 8 bucks a head and proifits 6 bucks a head...plus of course, the 14 bucks a head he makes off all those HE cuts....

Yep....at the age of 25 he has his own business.

AND NO WHERE DID GOVERNMENT HAVE TO DO A DAM THING!

Where is this guy living that only 1200/mo is supporting his entire lifestyle?

In a city where cost of living was low enough to allow for that, a haircut wouldn't cost $14. Haircuts where I live in south Jersey where cost of living is high, are around that much.

At worst, you need to adjust your numbers, but I still see that point you made. In reality, dude would need more than 2 years of saving.

Now that is a flaw...and you are correct.

I lowered the amount I pay a barber by 2 bucks...I should have lowered it by about 4 bucks to 12 a haircut.

But for a single guy who is FOCUSED ON STARTING HIS BUSINESS....

rent (studio) 500 a month
transportation (bus) 100 a month
food 600 a month (high number, but the guy likes to eat)
Laundry 50 a month
Incidentals 300 a month (75 a week)

He can live on 1500 a month.....which is 18K a year....and that is about 350 a week.

If he earns 200 a week at the convenience store....
and he earns 350 a week as a barber.....
and he has about 100 a week in taxes.....
he is saving 100 a week.

Better?

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Rent amounts are obviously going to differ by location, but as cost of living increases, wages typically do as well. Maybe not enough to fairly keep pace, but it's usually proportional enough that the saving time and amount saved would still be about the same.

Your point was definitely noted, I'm not about trying to break your whole point down by picking on details because ANYONE can adjust their lifestyle down and save. There's a lot of people out there not saving and getting ahead because they don't WANT to.

I saved 20g's up and started a preschool business with my ex, which is finally profitable now, and just recently started a painting business which didn't take much of an outlay to get started because I was handed a decent clientele base to start off with, but I'm once again busting my ass and saving to try my 3rd business idea hopefully next year sometime.

The tax code provides plenty of assistance for small business owners.

Bull. They found more pockets to pick than I knew I had pockets. Mine is mostly a service business and with the economy being as bad as it is, many customers want to pay cash or me personally to get a cost break. You know, avoid the government. I run it all through the business because, it is the law and I don't like cheating. Of course, with all the cheating the government seems intent on doing these days, it is becoming less and less attractive to make all those business account deposits.

Last edited:
Where is this guy living that only 1200/mo is supporting his entire lifestyle?

In a city where cost of living was low enough to allow for that, a haircut wouldn't cost $14. Haircuts where I live in south Jersey where cost of living is high, are around that much.

At worst, you need to adjust your numbers, but I still see that point you made. In reality, dude would need more than 2 years of saving.

Now that is a flaw...and you are correct.

I lowered the amount I pay a barber by 2 bucks...I should have lowered it by about 4 bucks to 12 a haircut.

But for a single guy who is FOCUSED ON STARTING HIS BUSINESS....

rent (studio) 500 a month
transportation (bus) 100 a month
food 600 a month (high number, but the guy likes to eat)
Laundry 50 a month
Incidentals 300 a month (75 a week)

He can live on 1500 a month.....which is 18K a year....and that is about 350 a week.

If he earns 200 a week at the convenience store....
and he earns 350 a week as a barber.....
and he has about 100 a week in taxes.....
he is saving 100 a week.

Better?

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Rent amounts are obviously going to differ by location, but as cost of living increases, wages typically do as well. Maybe not enough to fairly keep pace, but it's usually proportional enough that the saving time and amount saved would still be about the same.

Your point was definitely noted, I'm not about trying to break your whole point down by picking on details because ANYONE can adjust their lifestyle down and save. There's a lot of people out there not saving and getting ahead because they don't WANT to.

I saved 20g's up and started a preschool business with my ex, which is finally profitable now, and just recently started a painting business which didn't take much of an outlay to get started because I was handed a decent clientele base to start off with, but I'm once again busting my ass and saving to try my 3rd business idea hopefully next year sometime.

Well, in defense of Skull and Modbert...I DID ask for the flaw in my premise.....but I meant the overall premise...not the details of the scenario....I guess I should have clarified that..

But I find it interesting that you were able to see the point I was making and didnt spend times picking on the details of the exact scenario...but instead addressed the scenario as I expected people to do...

I find that interesting becuase you are obviously one of an entrepenuereal mindset as I am....and instead of finding out how it WONT work, you saw the virtues of the premise and how it CAN work.

And to be honest...I think that is what is wrong with many in society today.

As opposed to finding ways to make it work, too many look for excuses not to try.

Last edited:
In a debate in another thread, someone said to me that nothing is being done to promote small business, (I assume he meant by the government) He, himself, is in the military but is also a talented haircutter and he said without his GI Bill assistance, he would never be able to start up a barber shop. I agree in his case as he is on in years and doesn’t have the time to dedicate to building toward a business. But most people...say in their 20's dont need Government assistance to start a business.....so as a business planner, I laid this out for a 22 year old with the same aspirations......
someone on the left....please point out the flaw ( I dont think there is any)....

A 22 year old decides he wants to cut hair....but his goal is to own a barbershop within 5 years.......He has the talent and gets a job at a local barber shop making 8 bucks a head....10 heads a day....400 a week. In the meantime, he gets a job at a local convenience store making 8 bucks an hour working form 6-12...... 3 days a week and 8-5 on Sunday....another 200 a week.

In the meantime he is building a reputation as an excellent barber...and as a single guy, he is socking away 200 a week.....as the 300 a week (after taxes) is enough to support his lifestyle as he is not going out partying and not taking vacations.....he is focused on ownig his own business....

After 2 years he has 20K saved up....now he can quit the convenience store and start cutting hair in his apartment for friends and acquaintenances....bulding up his reputation and determining if he can really do it on his own....still making the money with the barbershop as well.

He likes what he sees...so he looks for real etstate and rents a 500 sq foot store front for 10 bucks a foot....5000 a year.....415 a month.....2 months deposit (new business needs to give 2 months deposit)...and 1 month rent...about 1300 outlay for the store.....He buys a used barber chair....700 bucks...he buys hair cutting items.....500 bucks.....he signs a deal with a vendor of hair products.....incorporates himself (200 bucks) and gets liability insurance (1000 bucks)....

So before he opoens the door...he has 20K saved up and initial expenses (including first nmonths rent) of less than 4K.

Now he quits his job with the barber...and has 16K savings left over to live on...and he makes his business work.

He gets busy...uses some of his savings for a second chair...pays some 22 year old 8 bucks a head and proifits 6 bucks a head...plus of course, the 14 bucks a head he makes off all those HE cuts....

For one I personally don't consider 10 haircuts a day and a few hours behind a counter at a 7/11 "busting ass"

And what guy is dumb enough to pay $14 for a haircut?

$14 is about average. Something tells me you don't tip the person who cuts your hair.

For one I personally don't consider 10 haircuts a day and a few hours behind a counter at a 7/11 "busting ass"

And what guy is dumb enough to pay $14 for a haircut?

$14 is about average. Something tells me you don't tip the person who cuts your hair.

Or he gets his haricut by a guy with a buzzer and a bowl

Forum List

Back