Gore Vidal: ‘We’ll have a dictatorship soon in the US’

Vidal could be correct about this. It's not like the right is keeping their desire for a military coup as guarded secret.

I think we can officially declare that this man has lost his mind. I read the article... while some things may ring truw, the general tone is that of a lunatic.
Next....

The grand old man of letters Gore Vidal claims America is ‘rotting away’ — and don’t expect Barack Obama to save it......Gore Vidal: ‘We’ll have a dictatorship soon in the US’ - Times Online

Yet another high-profile person regretting their vote for Obama... :eusa_whistle:

You know, you could make a lot more intelligent contributions if you actually read the article.

seems like he did....

"Last year he famously switched allegiance from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama during the Democratic nomination process for president. Now, he reveals, he regrets his change of heart. How’s Obama doing? “Dreadfully. I was hopeful. He was the most intelligent person we’ve had in that position for a long time. But he’s inexperienced. He has a total inability to understand military matters."

Gore Vidal: ‘We’ll have a dictatorship soon in the US’ - Times Online

maybe you should take your own advice?

The grand old man of letters Gore Vidal claims America is ‘rotting away’ — and don’t expect Barack Obama to save it......Gore Vidal: ‘We’ll have a dictatorship soon in the US’ - Times Online

Yet another high-profile person regretting their vote for Obama... :eusa_whistle:

You know, you could make a lot more intelligent contributions if you actually read the article.

:lol: So which article did you read?

Unfortunately i think we're already there. We have a President right now who has almost unlimited powers. He controls all branches of Government as well as our Media. That's pretty much a Dictatorship. :(

We had that for 6 years in 2001-2007 and didn't fall into a dictatorship.

The only reason I won't totally discount the idea of a dictatorship in the USA is because we came so very close to it in practice right after 9/11. The DHS, the Patriot Act, and some of the consolidation of Federal Agencies that occured post 9/11 focused an enormous amount of power in the hands of Cabinet and sub-Cabinet appointees, all with public acclaim from the party of Small Government. If a second "9/11" had occured within a month or so after 9/11, folks would have demanded a dictator to keep us safe.

If we ever slip into a dictatorship, the primary enforcement arm won't be a group like ACORN. It'll be the DHS. Forming that Department post 9/11 was a mistake. We're just lucky it hasn't cost us yet.

Not a likely scenario - but an interesting read.

Vidal's life of letters is running out quickly now.

I will be ambivilent to his passing...

seems like he did....

"Last year he famously switched allegiance from Hillary Clinton to Barack Obama during the Democratic nomination process for president. Now, he reveals, he regrets his change of heart. How’s Obama doing? “Dreadfully. I was hopeful. He was the most intelligent person we’ve had in that position for a long time. But he’s inexperienced. He has a total inability to understand military matters."

He's criticizing Obama for giving in to conservative critics too much. That's hardly an expression of regret.

Answer your own question and tell us, I have no idea how he felt but you seem to so how about telling us what your talking about.
YouTube - William Buckley Vs Gore Vidal

Gore Vidal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those Buckley-Vidal conflicts were EPIC.

Buckley is greatly missed...

Indeed he is, and Vidal will be missed too. Unfortunately, men of such education and letters are not popular anymore.

Indeed he is, and Vidal will be missed too. Unfortunately, men of such education and letters are not popular anymore.

Yeah, isn't it sad. As great as some of the commentators are now, they're still pale shadows of these guys. The topic came up when Ted Kennedy passed on. Like him or hate him, the guy played the game of politics in a purely epic way. That generation of political geniuses are passing away to be replaced by the Bushes and the Clintons and their ilk.

seems like he did....

He's criticizing Obama for giving in to conservative critics too much. That's hardly an expression of regret.

keep telling yourself that-maybe if you actually read the piece

""Vidal now believes, as he did originally, Clinton would be the better president. “Hillary knows more about the world and what to do with the generals. History has proven when the girls get involved, they’re good at it. Elizabeth I knew Raleigh would be a good man to give a ship to.”The Republicans will win the next election, Vidal believes; though for him there is little difference between the parties.
:lol:

seems like he did....

He does express regret Polk.

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Forum List

Back