Gore Vidal: ‘We’ll have a dictatorship soon in the US’

Here was his exact comments:

We’ll have a military dictatorship fairly soon, on the basis that nobody else can hold everything together. Obama would have been better off focusing on educating the American people. His problem is being over-educated. He doesn’t realise how dim-witted and ignorant his audience is. Benjamin Franklin said that the system would fail because of the corruption of the people and that happened under Bush.”

Vidal adds menacingly: “Don’t ever make the mistake with people like me thinking we are looking for heroes. There aren’t any and if there were, they would be killed immediately. I’m never surprised by bad behaviour. I expect it.”

He's referring to people like you Oz. Dim-wit.

Unfortunately i think we're already there. We have a President right now who has almost unlimited powers. He controls all branches of Government as well as our Media. That's pretty much a Dictatorship. :(

Gore Vidal is a brilliant writer and wit but a self indulgent cynic who has proffered lamentations on behalf of the American Republic his entire career.

Read his essay collection United States, (a brilliant read), he has been predicting doom and gloom for America since the 50s, first the Soviets would win, then the Vietnam loss heralded America’s end, then the rise of Japan meant America was finished, then the rise of domestic terror and Oklahoma City meant the end of the Republic, then 9 11 and on and on. The key to Gore’s perennial disaffection with the US is admitted in his own autobiography, he lost the greatest love of his life, Jimmy Trimbal, a marine who died in WW2.

Gore has never forgiven either Roosevelt, America or the world itself for this loss, and so his political philosophy is nothing more than 'vanity of vanities; all is vanity'.

He is a brilliant, savagely funny man, but he is also tragically and self indulgently sad and he wants the entire republic to be sad with him.

Last edited:
Well i don't know much about Mr. Vidal's personal life so i will defer those opinions to those who know more. However i do agree that Mr. Vidal is probably wrong. "A Dictatorship soon in the U.S.?" Not soon because it's already here. We currently have a President who controls all branches of Government as well as our Media. Looks like a Dictatorship to me. I'll let others think about it and decide for themselves though.

Well i don't know much about Mr. Vidal's personal life so i will defer those opinions to those who know more. However i do agree that Mr. Vidal is probably wrong. "A Dictatorship soon in the U.S.?" Not soon because it's already here. We currently have a President who controls all branches of Government as well as our Media. Looks like a Dictatorship to me. I'll let others think about it and decide for themselves though.
yeah. right. just look how that "dictator' has pushed health care on us!:cuckoo: get a grip.

Are you insinuating that Gore Vidal thinks we will have some kind of military coup like this is some kind of third world country any day now?

I certainly don't see that happening.

As for President Obama being a dictator... well, he wields a hell of a lot of power but he still wields that power at the whim of the American people. If he even hinted at seizing power permanently, his base would turn on him in a heartbeat in the same way that had a serious discussion come out regarding Bush doing so, conservatives would have turned on him.

I don't see such a thing happening at all. I do, however, feel like there is a strong possiblity that the union will be disolved in my lifetime and I am almost 50 years old.

Immie

I know many on the Left used to call George Bush a Dictator but i really do think they were quite wrong. When George Bush was President he had a very critical & hostile Liberal dominated Mainstream Media playing Gotcha with him on a daily basis. They were actually Watchdogs like the Media should be with all Presidents. However it is clear that the MSM only act as Watchdogs when a Republican is President. This current President has a completely acquiescent Boot-Licking or Lapdog Mainstream Media serving him. Obviously the MSM is dominated by Liberals hence all this daily Boot-Licking. So when you combine an acquiescent Lapdog MSM with controlling all branches of Government,you get as close to a Dictatorship as you can in the U.S. This is just how i see it anyway.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back