GOP looking to weaken financial regulation law

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
That's odd. I remember the gop sounding the alarm to begin with. Not all regulation is good, but you know that right?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPSDnGMzIdo&feature=youtube_gdata_player]YouTube - ‪Democrats were WARNED of Financial crisis and did NOTHING‬‏[/ame]

That's odd. I remember the gop sounding the alarm to begin with. Not all regulation is good, but you know that right?

YouTube - ‪Democrats were WARNED of Financial crisis and did NOTHING‬‏

homer-doh-square.jpg

Frankly, anything that FranknDodd have put together should be immediately dismantled.

SURE !!! Let's go back to the way things were in 2008!!!

Everything was just FINE, as John McCain told us!

Nothing to worry about!

What did john McCain say in advance of the fiasco? hmm lets look again, maybe actually watch it this time?

Last edited by a moderator:
So is it a good idea to weaken The Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act?

Yes, it is. It didn't address the core problems that contributed to the financial melt down in the first place and it's also making consumer banking more expensive for all Americans. If you haven't already gotten a letter from your bank that your banking fees are going up, you will be soon and it's because of this legislation.

So is it a good idea to weaken The Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act?

Yes, it is. It didn't address the core problems that contributed to the financial melt down in the first place and it's also making consumer banking more expensive for all Americans. If you haven't already gotten a letter from your bank that your banking fees are going up, you will be soon and it's because of this legislation.

Very nice point. I got my letter a couple weeks ago and promptly told my bank if they increased my fees at their own atms I would be banking elsewhere.

We thought they learned their lesson when they deregulated Wall Street. What they learned is a new, even more unethical way to legally steal money.

Any conservatives think this is wise after the worst recession in this great nation's history?
GOP uses budget, other tools to sap financial law - politics - Capitol Hill - msnbc.com
WASHINGTON — Congressional Republicans are greeting the one-year anniversary of President Barack Obama's financial overhaul law by trying to weaken it, nibble by nibble.
Well, at least we know who they work for :eusa_whistle:

Ahh some idiots think that more of the same will fix things.

The greatest threat to this Nation is not terrorists, recession, or a possible default – it’s radical ideologues on the extreme right.

uh huh, right now I'd take them over the lefty 'moderates' ( pardon me while I guffaw) who wrote this trash- dodd and frank. everyone look extreme when you're out there in deep left field so I see how you could come to that conclusion. :lol:

It is not a case of more regulation is good and less regulation is bad or more regulation is bad and less regulation is good. In a complex, advanced society there has to be appropriate regulation for business to function and for some sector(s) to prosper. Whoever writes the rules usually wins the game. Big money writes the rules and therefore big money is winning the game. Just ask yourself: Who received the bailout money and who paid it out?

By the time the 2001 tax cuts fully kicked in, 51% of the benefits were slated for the top 1%. (Citizens for Tax Justice)

Greenspan Concedes Error on Regulation - NYTimes.com
Many Republican lawmakers on the oversight committee tried to blame the mortgage meltdown on the unchecked growth of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the giant government-sponsored mortgage-finance companies that were placed in a government conservatorship last month. Republicans have argued that Democratic lawmakers blocked measures to reform the companies.

But Mr. Greenspan, who was first appointed by President Ronald Reagan, placed far more blame on the Wall Street companies that bundled subprime mortgages into pools and sold them as mortgage-backed securities.
Global demand for the securities was so high, he said, that Wall Street companies pressured lenders to lower their standards and produce more “paper.”

Forum List

Back