Not that we should be surprised at all. The GOP has been doing a lot of reneging lately. They agreed to a "debt deal", but are now trying to go back on provision they agreed to...like cutting defense spending. Now a GOP House Member wants to bring back the old "greasing of the skids" earmarks that they were SOOOOOO against after the midterms. House Republicans discuss reviving earmarks (Reuters) - The huge federal transportation bill was in tatters in early March when Representative Mike Rogers of Alabama posed a heretical idea for breaking through gridlock in the House. In a closed-door meeting with fellow Republicans, Rogers recommended reviving a proven legislative sweetener that became politically toxic a year ago. Bring back earmarks, Rogers, who was first elected to Congress in 2002, told his colleagues.[...] BRING BACK THE GREASE Political analysts have long referred to earmarks, or "member-directed funding" as it is sometimes known, as the grease enabling legislation to move through Congress. Republican Representative Steven LaTourette, an 18-year House veteran, said the earmark ban "has affected discipline" within the party. "You can't get 218 votes (out of 242 Republican House members) and part of that has to be if you can't give people anything (earmarks), you can't take anything away from them." If a member of Congress agrees with 90 percent of a pending bill but is "uncomfortable" with the other 10 percent, "Sometimes taking care of your district (with earmarks) made up for that 10 percent," he said.