GOP holds middle class payroll tax cut hostage with pipeline demand

Pipeline showdown escalates payroll tax cut fight - CNN.com

But when it comes to the rich, no rider and no conditions. The GOP has historically shown that their hearts and minds are with the wealthy. They know the Dems want to help the middle class, so they chose what they can pull from thieir goody bag to throw in as a condition.

The pipeline will provide 20 thousand American jobs. Why do demoncrats hate jobs?

And the Dem's??? wait not much difference now is there,just wondering who is that insists we roll back the bush tax cuts,and by the way which tax brackets received the largest cut percentages.??

Using pretzel logic again!

Uh, the wealthiest brackets saw the biggest cuts. They get the same cuts as everyone else, plus a 4% reduction their rate for every dollar in the top marginal rate.

No they didn't

No, seriously - yes they did. They got all of the benefits of the cuts to lower marginal rates that everyone else got, plus they got a 4% reduction in the top marginal rate.

Of course, if you don't understand the concept of marginal rates you won't understand.

I really don't get it…

No, you get it: republicans fight to retain tax cuts for the rich, even if it means shutting down the government, yet fight against the middle class tax cut when most working Americans need the extra money to just survive. Tax cuts for the rich have done nothing to create jobs and have only added to the deficit; the middle class tax cut needs to be retained to help the recovering economy, for that middle class spending is vital.

I really don't get it…

No, you get it: republicans fight to retain tax cuts for the rich, even if it means shutting down the government, yet fight against the middle class tax cut when most working Americans need the extra money to just survive. Tax cuts for the rich have done nothing to create jobs and have only added to the deficit; the middle class tax cut needs to be retained to help the recovering economy, for that middle class spending is vital.

how about if the pass the payroll tax cut extension AND get you 20 thousand more jobs on the pipeline? Ain't that cool?

I really don't get it…

how about if the pass the payroll tax cut extension AND get you 20 thousand more jobs on the pipeline? Ain't that cool?

obama did not want the pipeline because it would provide so many jobs.

obama did not want the pipeline because it would provide so many jobs.

he seems to want to buy arab oil. blows one of his promises to the American people to hell donut?

And the Dem's??? wait not much difference now is there,just wondering who is that insists we roll back the bush tax cuts,and by the way which tax brackets received the largest cut percentages.??

Using pretzel logic again!

Uh, the wealthiest brackets saw the biggest cuts. They get the same cuts as everyone else, plus a 4% reduction their rate for every dollar in the top marginal rate.

Yes indeed, and there are a hell of a lot of VERY wealthy Democratic congress critters. Many of them are worth well over 100 million. So it's not just the Repubs who are screwing us over. The sooner you admit that it's BOTH sides nailing us the sooner we can fix it.

It shouldn't be in the bill, along with a few other things, that is the point. ;)

You guys talk about compromise, but you never want to actually compromise.

Compromise is fine, it still shouldn't be in the bill, along with allowing states to drug test people applying for unemployment.

Why the heck not?

We are suggesting tax cuts to encourage job growth and you don't see the relationship between that and authorizing a pipeline that is guaranteed to create jobs?

I hope the GOP doesn't budge. We need lower gas prices and jobs! IT'S THE ECONOMY STOOPID DIMS!

Last edited:
I still can't comprehend this one. You oppose creating jobs so much that you won't support the tax cut you claim you are so passionate about.

It seems like a no-brainer here.

You guys talk about compromise, but you never want to actually compromise.

Compromise is fine, it still shouldn't be in the bill, along with allowing states to drug test people applying for unemployment.

Why the heck not?

We are suggesting tax cuts to encourage job growth and you don't see the relationship between that and authorizing a pipeline that is guaranteed to create jobs?

How about we do a little more research into the Pipeline? I am all for the US self contained when it comes to Oil, but I don't want to pass something before we know all the facts. We need a payroll tax now, we need to do a little more research into the Pipeline.
I have talked to my friends dad who is engineer for BP in Alaska, and he has reservations about it. I think I will go with an expert, and say we should spend a little more time before we start a massive project.

I still can't comprehend this one. You oppose creating jobs so much that you won't support the tax cut you claim you are so passionate about.

It seems like a no-brainer here.

Where did I say that? I think I was very clear in saying we should do more research before we pump a bunch of money into such a large project.
Do you right wingers actually read what people write, or just assume what is written?

Transcanada/ Keystone Pipeline has already been sued, I think I am satisfied with my opinion we should do a little more research.

What more do you need? It's not like this is a brand new project.

This is precisely why I don't think the unemployment rate is going to significantly drop before next November.

Forum List

Back