GOP Aiming to Cut $4 Trillion

I don't see contracting out Medicare to private insurance being a cost cutting measure. I see that as increasing costs. In government run medicare, when government pays $100 to cover the cost of a recipient's health bills, that money reduces the bill by $100. When you're talking about a private insurance company, they will collect $200 from the government to pay the $100 bill. That's how they make their money. I see the proposal as being nothing more than "Hey, we can say this and make it sound like we're doing something, when we're really just giving a handout to our buddies."

Overall, any cuts to medicare or social security should be at least matched with, if not exceeded by, proportionally equal cuts to defense spending. If that means we have to pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan tomorrow, and let those two countries fall on their faces, then so be it. I kinda like the idea of setting a budget equal to Clinton's last budget, adjusted for inflation. But I fear that adjusting for inflation might not be as good as it sounds. Over the last decade the rich have gotten richer, and the poor have gotten poorer. Since it's the more wealthy that drive inflation, simply adjusting for inflation would probably mean that such a budget today would be even more difficult on the poor than that budget back in 2000.

Oh, forgot to mention, that there is also no reason to expect that insurance companies would be any better stewards of taxpayer money than the hospitals.

We have just about the highest infant mortality of any industrial nation. Cutting medical benefits for the young mothers will only make this worst. Ain't America great?

We could teach our children not to have children out of wedlock so that we have two responsible parents taking care of the medical bills.

Radical concept, I know. But personally, I'd rather treat the problem and not throw money at the symptoms like you do.

From a government standpoint, what do you propose to do?

End prohabition. [-1sp]

Make all drugs leagal. When gangs can't make money from dealing, the dealers will have to get jobs or go hungry. some will turn to other forms of crime, sure, but most will have to get a job.

Take DEA agents and allow them to transfer to any law enforcement that want and qualify for. Pay to move them if needed. That shores up the ports and the boarder with few, if any job losses.

This was approved by a dem controlled Congress.

We are deep deep in the hole. We need to do something to fix the situation and keeping every single touchy feely program going has not, is not and will not work.

It's dead in the water anyway. It will pass the House but I doubt the Senate will even vote for it.

yes, it was. and to my mind it was stupid.

but do you recall what was going on at the time? the rightwingnuts refusing to vote for START or fund unemployment insurance until rich people got their cuts?

yeah, thought you forgot.

let me know when you're going to stop giving corporate welfare and we'll discuss the "touchy feely" stuff like my son's education and old people's social security and medicare.

I didn't forget. There was a lot of stuff going on, to much to mention, but I could bring up a lot of stuff that you didn't mention and claim you forgot. So lets not be that lame.

I am not, was not and will not be for corporate welfare. I was one of many that said to let them suffer and either die off or self fix.

Can your son work? if so, he can work his way through college.
Can you care for your mother? If so. Why do you demand money from me and my children to help you not have to do so?

well, then maybe we can agree that corporations should pay their fair share like we do.

my son is 13. no. he can't work. I'm talking about his public education. also, college now does not cost what it did when i went to college. and i didn't work my way THROUGH college. I worked summers while I went to college. I had student loans which I paid back at a reasonable rate of interest within x number of years after I graduated because I was able to earn enough to live on while I paid that reasonable amount. That circumstance no longer exists.

I figure my son is entitled to the same opportunities that I had. But his college will cost $150,000, mine didn't. The state university I went to now requires something like a 96 average (and heaven knows what SAT grades) because more and more students are competing for the reasonably priced places rather than mortgage their lives on a private school.

I don't demand that you pay for my son's college. I ask that my son have the same opportunities that I had and that the radical right is destroying.

oh.. and i agree with you re legalizing drugs. they should also legalize (and tax) prostitution.

Last edited:
how is this different from any of their other "stiick it to the people who need it most" proposals? they are too busy redistributing wealth away from the middle class to the top 1% to have the discussions that REALLY need to be had. i'm not really interested in listening to how there's no money when they renewed tax cuts for rich people.... especially in the face of a fragile recovery.

And until there's campaign finance reform, (which was effectively permanently blocked by citizens united), politicians are going to keep being beholden to their money men and never make the changes that really need to occur.

From what I read they want to do away with some deductions. I would do away with all deductions.

And on campaign finance. Do you feel the same about democrats being beholden to unions, especially public unions?

how would you do away with all deductions? people who run businesses have salaries to pay, offices to rent and operational expenses. if you don't allow those expenses to be deducted, you are taxing gross income instead of net income. that would make running a small business unaffordable.

is that really what you want to do?

Yes. But you have to drop the tax rates at same time.

From what I read they want to do away with some deductions. I would do away with all deductions.

And on campaign finance. Do you feel the same about democrats being beholden to unions, especially public unions?

how would you do away with all deductions? people who run businesses have salaries to pay, offices to rent and operational expenses. if you don't allow those expenses to be deducted, you are taxing gross income instead of net income. that would make running a small business unaffordable.

is that really what you want to do?

Yes. But you have to drop the tax rates at same time.

which effectively allows government to do nothing.

but do you recall what was going on at the time? the rightwingnuts refusing to vote for START or fund unemployment insurance until rich people got their cuts?

let me know when you're going to stop giving corporate welfare and we'll discuss the "touchy feely" stuff like my son's education and old people's social security and medicare.

I didn't forget. There was a lot of stuff going on, to much to mention, but I could bring up a lot of stuff that you didn't mention and claim you forgot. So lets not be that lame.

I am not, was not and will not be for corporate welfare. I was one of many that said to let them suffer and either die off or self fix.

Can you care for your mother? If so. Why do you demand money from me and my children to help you not have to do so?

well, then maybe we can agree that corporations should pay their fair share like we do.

my son is 13. no. he can't work. I'm talking about his public education. also, college now does not cost what it did when i went to college. and i didn't work my way THROUGH college. I worked summers while I went to college. I had student loans which I paid back at a reasonable rate of interest within x number of years after I graduated because I was able to earn enough to live on while I paid that reasonable amount. That circumstance no longer exists.

I figure my son is entitled to the same opportunities that I had. But his college will cost $150,000, mine didn't. The state university I went to now requires something like a 96 average (and heaven knows what SAT grades) because more and more students are competing for the reasonably priced places rather than mortgage their lives on a private school.

I don't demand that you pay for my son's college. I ask that my son have the same opportunities that I had and that the radical right is destroying.

oh.. and i agree with you re legalizing drugs. they should also legalize (and tax) prostitution.

Wait a moment. Could you explain to us who just took over "Student Loans" and why that plan isn't good for your son? Please???

Who disagrees with the idea that if corporations are taxed those taxes are passed on to the consumer? Anybody?

Wait a moment. Could you explain to us who just took over "Student Loans" and why that plan isn't good for your son? Please???

the problem is no availablity of funds.

not who "took it over".

how 'bout them pell grants, huh?

the problem is no availablity of funds.

not who "took it over".

how 'bout them pell grants, huh?

Which pell grants? Why is there no availability of funds?

i have no problem with those that buy the corporation's products, be the ones who help pay the cor[poration's taxes....

it would be unfair for those of us who do NOT buy the corporation's products, have to pay for their share of taxes Willow.

It's a start. But much more has to be done. It is good to see the Republicans showing leadership on this though. The Democrats are already playing their usual Class Warfare Games but i think less people are buying that stuff these days. It doesn't work like it used to for them. The People know something has to be done and i think they're with the Republicans on trying to fix things. So far the Democrats have not been helpful. They haven't offered anything of substance. So kudos to the Republicans. Keep up the good work.

i have no problem with those that buy the corporation's products, be the ones who help pay the cor[poration's taxes....

it would be unfair for those of us who do NOT buy the corporation's products, have to pay for their share of taxes Willow.

I see your wisdom there Care 4 nuttin.. You'd buy GE light bulbs cause Immelt is obie wan's buddy and GE pays Zero taxes.. got it. :cuckoo:

The American people dont agree with this plan.

This is still a democracy

If you are not going to discuss increasing tax revenue, and that does mean increasing taxes, then don't bother to discuss cut in spending. For all you are saying is that you wish to continue the redistribution of wealth from the middle class and the working poor to the very wealthy.
Hardly. Taxes cannot be raised enough to cover the deficit.
Spending, however, can.

Never mind that allowing people to keep the money they earned = redistribution from the have nots to the haves is, at best, farcical.

The American people dont agree with this plan.

This is still a democracy

Shit for brains.. It's a Republic.. "For the Republic for which it stands".. We can see you're not familiar with your government. Oh and you just told a blatant lie too.. It's not a democracy. It's a Republic.

My wife is going back to college and it will cost us $15k for a year. If you have to pony up 150k, you might want to think of going elsewhere.

No one is saying your son can't go. We are saying we shouldn't pay for him to go. If that means community college, then so be it. Supply and demand rules the day, once again. If colleges no longer get mass funding from grants and loans, they will lose studints b/c they can't afford to go [for what ever reason], therefore the college will be forced to lower it's cost.

Legalize prostitution? :eusa_angel:

So what you are saying is; You wanna tax that ass! :eusa_angel::lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back