Good Bye Used Cars?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Sounds like the new CEO of GM is saying no more 'trade-ins':

Did Obama announce the end of used cars?

Links at site:

By Juan Paxety on June 2nd, 2009

In his speech about the GM bankruptcy yesterday, President Barack Obama (from the New York Times) said:

And that’s why I’m calling on Congress to pass fleet modernization legislation that can provide a credit to consumers who turn in old cars and purchase cleaner, more fuel-efficient cars. (emphasis added)

Turn in old cars. It’s long been a talking point of liberals and environmentalists that cars older than a given age should be removed from the highways. The usual mantra goes “The government should buy all cars older than X and pay the owner $750. Then the owner could go out and buy a newer, cleaner, more efficient car.” The advocates for this position either fail or refuse to understand that the owners will not be able to find a car to buy with their $750. Basic economics.

President Obama used the words “turn in” not “trade in.” He will give folks a credit - I suppose that means an income tax credit - for doing this. This sounds like the used cars will go to the government and be removed from the market. No more used cars. You either buy an expensive putt-putt new car, or you go without. It appears that he’s set out to destroy the used car market.

Links at site:

In his speech about the GM bankruptcy yesterday, President Barack Obama (from the New York Times) said:

And that’s why I’m calling on Congress to pass fleet modernization legislation that can provide a credit to consumers who turn in old cars and purchase cleaner, more fuel-efficient cars. (emphasis added)

Turn in old cars. It’s long been a talking point of liberals and environmentalists that cars older than a given age should be removed from the highways. The usual mantra goes “The government should buy all cars older than X and pay the owner $750. Then the owner could go out and buy a newer, cleaner, more efficient car.” The advocates for this position either fail or refuse to understand that the owners will not be able to find a car to buy with their $750. Basic economics.

President Obama used the words “turn in” not “trade in.” He will give folks a credit - I suppose that means an income tax credit - for doing this. This sounds like the used cars will go to the government and be removed from the market. No more used cars. You either buy an expensive putt-putt new car, or you go without. It appears that he’s set out to destroy the used car market.

great,, after he's done with his Cluster *F* he's gonna give us 750$ credit..

I guess the statists want to build on their successes managing the housing market by managing the automobile market.

Links at site:

great,, after he's done with his Cluster *F* he's gonna give us 750$ credit..

And his drones will be dismayed that you won't thank him for this loaf of bread.

hmmm what are they calling fuel eff. my old subbie gets 28 mpg or so...why would i want to trade for something getting 30 mpg...they are gonna have to make it more efficent

Links at site:

That won't happen. Doing so would only make people hold on to their cars even longer, which would lead to a downturn in new car sales.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
hmmm what are they calling fuel eff. my old subbie gets 28 mpg or so...why would i want to trade for something getting 30 mpg...they are gonna have to make it more efficent

My best friend (from almost 10 years ago) had a little blue Datson ... we ran it with almost 60 mpg ... and it was falling apart. He kept it together with toggle switches, bailing wire, and duct tape. LOL .... but that care ruled.

As someone who spent a great deal of time in the car business, if you offered many proud Americans $750 for their 20-year old beat piece of shit, they would get offended and walk out on you.

Instead what you do is one of two things:

If you have some gross to play around with in the car you're selling them, say $2000 worth of gross, you take $1250 and apply it towards their trade-in. Here, Mr. Customer. We'll give you $2000 for your trade-in and I'll take $500 off of my price. You still make $250 gross, plus you try to hit them with a nice hard interest rate because they'll eat shit out of your hands if they have to in order to get $2000 for their car. So, we make a little bit of money on the front end, a little bit of money on the back end, the customer is happy and we're done for the day.

Obama offering a $750 tax "credit" to people is an insult. He's doing it though to bring down pollution levels.

As someone who spent a great deal of time in the car business, if you offered many proud Americans $750 for their 20-year old beat piece of shit, they would get offended and walk out on you.

If you have some gross to play around with in the car you're selling them, say $2000 worth of gross, you take $1250 and apply it towards their trade-in. Here, Mr. Customer. We'll give you $2000 for your trade-in and I'll take $500 off of my price. You still make $250 gross, plus you try to hit them with a nice hard interest rate because they'll eat shit out of your hands if they have to in order to get $2000 for their car. So, we make a little bit of money on the front end, a little bit of money on the back end, the customer is happy and we're done for the day.

Obama offering a $750 tax "credit" to people is an insult. He's doing it though to bring down pollution levels.

As I have always said, environuts don't care about the environment, they care about a few failing corporations.

As I have always said, environuts don't care about the environment, they care about a few failing corporations.

They care about power, control, and money. Enviromentalism is just the tool.

When The Prophet first started with his expressed public 'solutions', I wondered if he was actually in touch with what public reaction would be or whether he saw the basic absurdity of some of it like the $250 to people on SS.

This latest venture may be a trial ballon to make someone in his political circle happy, but I think junior actually means this and thinks he can get away with it (and he might).

Want to insult someone? Tell them that their trusty used car is a pile of junk worth $750 and that for the greater social good they should pony up money they largely cannot afford to spend on something they have thus far chosen to avoid.

I currently own three automibles, the newest being 12 years old and the oldest being 38 years old, and no one is going to get any of them for a measly $750.

Hmm, wonder what the 'carbon footprint' is on making a new car?

You mean a kid entitled to college is not also entitled to a car? What kind of hater are you?

:lol: Oh, the worst kind. She pays her share of the car insurance on our cars that she uses and pays for her own gas. We've offered her my husband's car, but she has to buy it. Well below what we could get for it if we sold it privately but . . . no handouts here!

My son says I'm a 'hard' mom cause I make him do awful things . . . like homework and picking up his stuff. :rolleyes:

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Forum List

Back