Golden Oldies: Newt and the “cancer bed divorce” myth

That was a dumb thing to say.

So was Obama's comments about "bitter clingers".

They're politicians. They are all a little sociopathic. The sane people get weeded out of politics in HS and College Student Councils. Only the real psychoes keep doing it.

But I ask again, to paraphrase what you guys said about Clinton. How does his personal life really effect his ability to do his job?

What was a dumb thing to say? That you need a program to keep track of Newt's multiple wives or that Newt blames his infidelity on patriotism?

Both are true...

I do believe that Bill Clinton's infidelity affected his ability to do his job...mostly because the patriot Penis Newt tried to impeach him over it. :lol:

(it also speaks to his integrity..both Clinton's and Newts)

Of course, if Hillary knew about Bill's multiple affairs...well, that's a horse of a different color.

Oh come on now, Hilary was billed as the smartest woman in America, she had to know.
And it painfully obvious to most why she didn't divorce his ass years ago.

The Ultra-Right is deperately trying to find someone who can defeat Mitt for the GOP nomination. But to sink so low as to consider a has been like Newt, is hilarious. The desperation has reach a fever pitch.

Bachman breaks from her straight jacket and shoots to the top of the heap, only to soon prove the term "Batcrazy Bachman" is more than just a slogan.

Then Perry comes out of Texas and, after rising to the top, proved in the debates that he still belongs in Texas.

Cain rises to the top and soon proves he is unworthy and and alleged perverted.

All the while Mitt has remained at or near the top. The Ultra Right Tea Baggers need to get over it. Mitt is the Man.

I had a friend make the usual observation, via urban legend as to the infamous 'cancer bed divorce'. he said he read it at Salon.com....well, as usual the story its a bit more complicated and not quite as cut and dried as that pejorative blurb makes it sound.

Newt has political issues in several areas, and he will have to answer for them, but, their daughter doesn't seem to see this issue he way say Salon, abc cbs nbc cnn msnbc et al let on.

*shrugs* her account;

For years, I have thought about trying to correct the untrue accounts of this hospital visit. After all, I was at the hospital with them, and saw and heard what happened. But I have always hesitated, as it was a private family matter and my mother is a very private person. In addition, for the four people involved, it was one of a million interactions and was not considered a defining event by any of us.

My mother and I have both recently run into quite a few people who hold an inaccurate understanding of this hospital visit. Many think my mother is dead.

So, to correct the record, here is what happened: My mother, Jackie Battley Gingrich, is very much alive, and often spends time with my family. I am lucky to have such a “Miracle Mom,” as I titled her in a column this week.

As for my parents’ divorce, I can remember when they told me.

It was the spring of 1980.

I was 13 years old, and we were about to leave Fairfax, Va., and drive to Carrollton, Ga., for the summer. My parents told my sister and me that they were getting a divorce as our family of four sat around the kitchen table of our ranch home.

Soon afterward, my mom, sister and I got into our light-blue Chevrolet Impala and drove back to Carrollton.

Later that summer, Mom went to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta for surgery to remove a tumor. While she was there, Dad took my sister and me to see her.

It is this visit that has turned into the infamous hospital visit about which many untruths have been told. I won’t repeat them. You can look them up online if you are interested in untruths. But here’s what happened:

My mother and father were already in the process of getting a divorce, which she requested.

Dad took my sister and me to the hospital to see our mother.

She had undergone surgery the day before to remove a tumor.

The tumor was benign.

As with many divorces, it was hard and painful for all involved, but life continued.

Setting the Record Straight by Jackie Gingrich Cushman on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

hat tip Hot Air for the title

So he only divorced his wife for younger intern #1 (as opposed to #2) while she was in reasonably good health?

I suppose that moves him slightly up the scumbag meter.

He's still on the scumbag meter though.

It will be funny to watch people try and sell Gingrich as something he is not.

So it's OK for John Kerry to divorce his wife in the midst of a suicidal depression and for bill clinton to get a hummer from an intern in the Oval Office, but Newt is a scumbag? Where was your outrage then? Or are you simply a partisan hack?

I had a friend make the usual observation, via urban legend as to the infamous 'cancer bed divorce'. he said he read it at Salon.com....well, as usual the story its a bit more complicated and not quite as cut and dried as that pejorative blurb makes it sound.

Newt has political issues in several areas, and he will have to answer for them, but, their daughter doesn't seem to see this issue he way say Salon, abc cbs nbc cnn msnbc et al let on.

*shrugs* her account;

For years, I have thought about trying to correct the untrue accounts of this hospital visit. After all, I was at the hospital with them, and saw and heard what happened. But I have always hesitated, as it was a private family matter and my mother is a very private person. In addition, for the four people involved, it was one of a million interactions and was not considered a defining event by any of us.

My mother and I have both recently run into quite a few people who hold an inaccurate understanding of this hospital visit. Many think my mother is dead.

So, to correct the record, here is what happened: My mother, Jackie Battley Gingrich, is very much alive, and often spends time with my family. I am lucky to have such a “Miracle Mom,” as I titled her in a column this week.

I was 13 years old, and we were about to leave Fairfax, Va., and drive to Carrollton, Ga., for the summer. My parents told my sister and me that they were getting a divorce as our family of four sat around the kitchen table of our ranch home.

Soon afterward, my mom, sister and I got into our light-blue Chevrolet Impala and drove back to Carrollton.

Later that summer, Mom went to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta for surgery to remove a tumor. While she was there, Dad took my sister and me to see her.

It is this visit that has turned into the infamous hospital visit about which many untruths have been told. I won’t repeat them. You can look them up online if you are interested in untruths. But here’s what happened:

My mother and father were already in the process of getting a divorce, which she requested.

The tumor was benign.

As with many divorces, it was hard and painful for all involved, but life continued.

Setting the Record Straight by Jackie Gingrich Cushman on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

So he only divorced his wife for younger intern #1 (as opposed to #2) while she was in reasonably good health?

So it's OK for John Kerry to divorce his wife in the midst of a suicidal depression and for bill clinton to get a hummer from an intern in the Oval Office, but Newt is a scumbag? Where was your outrage then? Or are you simply a partisan hack?
The latter attributed to duplicity...obviously.

Newt will have to get his Ex wife to say she lied all those years ago to get traction on this one.

Aint going to happen.

He highlights his infidelity every time he brings this subject up.

And we know exes never exaggerate or bend the truth... :rolleyes:
Most assuredly there are millions of court records that will attest to it.

No enemies on the left.
Just misbegotten, malinformed tools ate up with thier own sense of self-import of being wrong and defending it.

The Ultra-Right is deperately trying to find someone who can defeat Mitt for the GOP nomination. But to sink so low as to consider a has been like Newt, is hilarious. The desperation has reach a fever pitch.

Bachman breaks from her straight jacket and shoots to the top of the heap, only to soon prove the term "Batcrazy Bachman" is more than just a slogan.

Then Perry comes out of Texas and, after rising to the top, proved in the debates that he still belongs in Texas.

All the while Mitt has remained at or near the top. The Ultra Right Tea Baggers need to get over it. Mitt is the Man.

Actually, I'm more of a centrist Republican, and I want nothing to do with the weird Mormon Robot.

In fact, I haven't seen any REAL republicans here praising Mitt, and he loses almost every straw poll he participates in.

What was a dumb thing to say? That you need a program to keep track of Newt's multiple wives or that Newt blames his infidelity on patriotism?

Both are true...

I do believe that Bill Clinton's infidelity affected his ability to do his job...mostly because the patriot Penis Newt tried to impeach him over it. :lol:

(it also speaks to his integrity..both Clinton's and Newts)

Of course, if Hillary knew about Bill's multiple affairs...well, that's a horse of a different color.

Clinton wasn't impeached for having sex. We all knew he was a horndog before he was ever elected.

He was impeached for lying in a federal court. And there isn't a "It's okay to lie because if I told the truth, my wife will brain me with an ashtray" exception to the perjury statue.

Regardless of when, where, who and how, divorces are always troubling. It's not like getting a divorce is a thing that doesn't happen in America often, every day. Why is Newt's divorce even an issue in the political world? Everybody has skeletons in their closet. I'm just sitting back waiting for Romney's to start rattling the doors.

Because the right has made people's personal lives fair games.

You guys should shed yourselves of the religious right and then get back to us on your high horses.

As it stands, no one is buying your outrage that only follows party lines.
"Goddamn it, John ... the Republicans are selling their soul to win elections ... Mark my word ... if and when these preachers get control of the party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible damn problem." -- Barry Goldwater as told to John Dean

*shrugs* her account;

The tumor was benign.

You so easily neglect the ethics charges that drove Newt from Congress.

Its the right who is saying they would vote for newt after saying others should NOT be elected for the same reasons

Regardless of when, where, who and how, divorces are always troubling. It's not like getting a divorce is a thing that doesn't happen in America often, every day. Why is Newt's divorce even an issue in the political world? Everybody has skeletons in their closet. I'm just sitting back waiting for Romney's to start rattling the doors.

You guys should shed yourselves of the religious right and then get back to us on your high horses.

"Goddamn it, John ... the Republicans are selling their soul to win elections ... Mark my word ... if and when these preachers get control of the party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible damn problem." -- Barry Goldwater as told to John Dean

He was right, they did sell themselves to the "preachers".

without them the Republicans cant win a dog show.

Yeah, we all know that there are no Democrats who go to any church........... Get real....

No enemies on the left.
Just misbegotten, malinformed tools ate up with thier own sense of self-import of being wrong and defending it.
baghdadbobliberalscopy.jpg

Boggles the mind...

Golden Oldies: Newt and the “cancer bed divorce” myth

As the young people say: ‘whatever…’

Gingrich is unfit to be president because of his ignorance of the Court and Constitutional case law, his adherence to rightist reactionary dogma, and his advocacy of failed conservative economic policy.

His private life is utterly irrelevant, having nothing to do with his ability to be president.
Obama is unfit to be President because of his ignoring of the Constitution, his lack of leadership, his adherence to Marxist philosophy, his disdain for American exceptionalism and his advocacy of failed liberal economic policy.

what a bunch of deranged nonsense.

Oh, please. I don't thnk I've heard do much BS in my life.

Point 1- What has the Religious Right really gotten out of it's allinace with the GOP. Abortion is still legal, Gay marriage is becoming legal, you still can't pray in schools and they aren't teaching creationism as an alternative to evolution. Seriously, what does the "Religious Right" have to show for it.

If the Religious Right threw in with the GOP it was because the Democrats, after 1972, threw in with the counter-culture. Before 1972, those people were reviled by both parties and rightfully so.

Point 2- What has made people's personal lives important is our celebrity culture. Clinton was not the first president to step out on his wife. JFK was sleeping with Mob Gals and Women who were spies for the Soviets. And the press covered these things up. That wouldn't happen today.

Point 3- Sorry, there is a major difference between Newt, a man whose marriage failed after 20 years (most marriages fail after 10) and a guy like Clinton who was so out of control his own staff had to keep women away from him. You can't look at all the accounts of women like Lewinsky, Jones, Willey, Brodderick and not realize this guy had a serious issue.

Actually, I'm more of a centrist Republican, and I want nothing to do with the weird Mormon Robot.

In fact, I haven't seen any REAL republicans here praising Mitt, and he loses almost every straw poll he participates in.

So who you gonna chose, Mister Centrist? Oh, and the Ghost of Reagan does not count.

Forum List

Back