God's will...?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Bullypulpit, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I was driving to work the other morning, and I saw a license plate cover that said, "If it's Gods will...I will." Statements like this send me down paths that believers consider just plain wrong.

The statement on that license plate cover begs a whole raft of questions, chiefly, "How does one know what 'Gods will' is ?" This particular question has never been answered to my satisfaction. It is usually fobbed off with the pat answer, "It's in the Bible!", as they look on me like some one's retarded cousin. When I ask, "Well how did everyone who wrote the Bible know what God's will is?", I am met with stunned silence and occasional outraged indignation. In this latter case, I often find myself regaled with the statement, "The Bible is the absolute, inerrant Word of God!", and am now regarded as a dangerous lunatic.

Imagine then the utter horror, then, which comes over my interlocutor when I ask, "If the Bible is the 'absolute and inerrant word of God', why are their so many people around claiming to have the special knowledge needed to interpret it?" Never mind that those interpretations often contradict one another, let alone the content of the Bible. By this point, I have been relegated to the status of apostate...blasphemer...unwashed heathen...etc. All this without ever getting a satisfactory answer to my questions.

By this point, the subject of my questioning has fled, muttering darkly to themselves and promising to pray for my immortal soul. They never stay around long enough for me to ask "Who determines just what God's will is anyways?", which, I'm fairly certain, would leave them calling for me to be exorcised, with the more fervent among them suggesting I be burnt at the stake. You know, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live..." and all that rot.

2. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Well the problem with religion is, they will not be swayed by anything because through generations, they have been taught the words of the bible or quran or whatever else they believe to be the absolute word of god. No children would question any of this so it goes on through there whole life and they become devoted to the bible. They get them while they are young.

You posed a very good question about gods will, which we will never know. Infact most islamic exstremists will galdly kill themselves and others based on gods will which is nowhere in either book. They take the bible literally and therefore do not care for science or reason or even logic.

Look at the great astrologer galileo, locked away in prison by the pope and the catholic church because he believed the earth revolved around the sun. Catholisism and religion in general was fucked up from the beginning, and everyone chooses to leave that stuff out of what to teach our children when trying to get them to go to church. Perhaps the religions were created in good will but they have been so distorted through time that its not even worth arguing. I mean, they cant even explain how old the earth is....its certainly not 10,000 years old. Science constantly proves the bible wrong which is why I believe the bible is the greatest book of fiction ever written.

Here is my opinion.

"There is a god or an intelligent design, how else could the original singularity be created? god created the singularity,(a dense atom full of energy) which became unstable and exploded, then split into 4 forces just after the big bang. The 4 forces needed to govern all of the universe (gravity, electromagnatism, weak nuclear and strong nuclear power). He created free will, and evolution to go with that singularity, which eventually spawned his greatest creation, human beings. He will never be seen during life, he is outside of the universe, His reason for life? Probably To create experience where there was only potential, same goes for every human being, sept he has unlimited potential, which is why he created such an experience known as time and the universe. So as a human, i have limited potential but my reason to live is to create experience, that would not have been created without my potential. Also when you die, you will either return to his infinate potential to be used or never used again. Or you will stay an experience, and stay, a product of the universe, because if you know a little about science, you know that literally, we are all made up of the same thing as the universe, just 91 different atoms. Perhaps im wrong, but for someone like GOD, I would believe that all you need is 91 atoms to create the universe."

3. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,256
    And still Bully's question goes unanswered by the God Squaders!:eusa_think:

4. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I am an athiest but I don't begrudge anyones faith, sometimes I envy it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Vintij

Vintij Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I answerd his question grump. His question was about gods will. I answerd by saying its all brainwashing done to children about the bible being gods will and gods words. The true answer is physicaly, there is no gods will, there is only free will. Thats your answer, its based on science, but I personally believe the only reason we are here is to fufill our potential, and create experience, ask questions that will never be answerd. Trust me I am not a godsquad member, i dont believe going to church will solve anything, i dont believe in religion, i dont believe the bible. But i do believe in intelligent design, the one that created the singularity that spawned the universe. I dont hate christians or anything, i just believe they are simple minded and have been exploited for the past century, and violence is the main force in religion.

And athiests, they usually are the most logical ones, but if your going to be an athiest because you hate god or you believe its all fake, you are not really living up to the athiest legacy of finding out how the universe works and proving religion wrong using science. A thinking athiest, is a true athiest.

Scientology is a cult and should be destroyed

Islam is a distorted view of christianity that tries to take credit for scientific discoverys that are allegedly "in the quran" oh and its converting tactic is force.

Mormons were brainwashed from births and they wear funny underwear to keep the demons out.

Buhdism is not a religion, people seem to think it is. Its more of a way of life for madonna. I like buhdism

Born again, means you fucked up real bad and you want people to think your a nice guy after-all

Too get off topic a little

I was forced to quit a job last year due to a misdamenor charge that was not expunged like they said it would be. My job found out about it through a background check, they dont want those type of people right? Yet you can become president of the united states after a felony charge of DUI???!?!? This country is really fucked up. The system is here for one thing only, to make sure the citizen has the hardest fucken time getting anything done. And to get back on topic, religion is part of that system. You are either in line, or not.

That is all thank you
    and goodnight

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950

:rofl: I am going to rep you again for that.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Taken to a simpler level ..... IMO, people with the "WWJD?" and other such "I Love God" bumper stickers on their vehicles appear to be a bit insecure in their religious beliefs IMO.

8. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Your answer wasn't the answer he was looking for, that's why it didn't work.

Secondly, DUI's back in the day were not always felonies. Both crime and punishment became WAY more severe during the mid-80s.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    So if I post an uneducated rant against religion you'll rep me?

10. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I appreciate all of the heartfelt comment, but I think I may have been too obtuse.

My initial post was a critique of the utterly subjective phenomena of determining the wants of a metaphysical being beyond human comprehension and the attempts to give these wholly subjective decisions the weight of absolutes.

I begrudge no one their faith until they attempt to force it upon me, whether privately or in the public arena. Their faith is a personal matter, to be shared with friends and family and not imposed willy-nilly upon any and all, believer or not.

What special dispensation grants any self-proclaimed bearer of "God's Message", the gift of being the sole propagator of "God's Truth"? And you can scratch out "God" and put any other deity's name in the blank.

The dictates of a divine being, as laid out by these self-styled prophets, is the ultimate in moral relativism, as they try vainly to dress their pronouncements in the shabby cloth of moral absolutism.