Godfather or Godfather 2 - which is the better film ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I watched both this week and there is no doubt in my mind that the first is the superior film.

The second is also a great film but not in the same class. every scene in the Godfather is etched in the memory but that isnt the case in 2.

Regarding 2. Who ordered the hit on Frank Pantangeli ? I might have missed it in the film. I thought it was Michael but I am not confident about that.

Regarding 2. Who ordered the hit on Frank Pantangeli ? I might have missed it in the film. I thought it was Michael but I am not confident about that.

They told him it was Michael
I thought it was Hyman Roth

Godfather 2 was really two films

I found the scenes with Robert DeNiro as a young Vito superior
It was.
Godfather 1, considering Puzzo was fighting tooth and nail and everyone on all sides to even get anyone to consider making it, and then it came out so well is itself a huge accomplishment.

Both were absolute classic masterpieces but the first one gets my vote.
I didn't like Godfather 3 as much as the prior movies in the series. However all these movies are masterpieces of Frances Ford Coppola who directed all of them. Coppola made Puzo's books really come to life. This is one of the few times that the movie was as good as the book.

I didn't like Godfather 3 as much as the prior movies in the series. However all these movies are masterpieces of Frances Ford Coppola who directed all of them. Coppola made Puzo's books really come to life. This is one of the few times that the movie was as good as the book.

I have seen Godfather 1&2 dozens of times

I saw Godfather 3 in the theater when it came out. Never had a desire to see it again

I have seen Godfather 1&2 dozens of times

I saw Godfather 3 in the theater when it came out. Never had a desire to see it again
30 years latter in 2020 Godfather 3 was release with changes and a new title, The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone. It's a directors cut with some different scenes and few fixes. If I can stream it for free, I might take a look but I wouldn't pay money to see it. It's interesting that Puzo collaborated with Coppola on this cut. I think the problem with 3 is it did not come from a Puzo books. Essentially, it was new story created by Coppola and Puzo.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back