Breaking: Ariel Sharon Has Died

I have to admit my initial response to this was - bloody butcher. But this is a memorial thread and, as such it deserves a more thought out response then a knee jerk reaction based on ignorance.

Having a more thought out response meant doing a little research into who Ariel Sharon was, and what he was. Like many of his generation involved in this conflict on either side - he was a man more complex than can be defined in simple black and white dimensions. In the end he seems to have been a pragmatic realist in terms of what was best for Israel's long term survival.

This is what I found...Ariel Sharon: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

From Wikipedia

The Good:

• He was considered the greatest field commander in Israel's history, and one of the country's greatest ever military strategists.
  • After his assault of the Sinai in the Six-Day War and his encirclement of the Egyptian Third Army in the Yom Kippur War, the Israeli public nicknamed him "The King of Israel" and "The Lion of God".
  • As Prime Minister, in 2004–05 Sharon orchestrated Israel's unilateral disengagement from the Gaza Strip. Facing stiff opposition to this policy within the Likud, in November 2005 he left Likud to form a new Kadima party. He had been expected to win the next election and was widely interpreted as planning on "clearing Israel out of most of the West Bank", in a series of unilateral withdrawals.

The Bad:

• In 1983 the Kahan Commission, established by the Israeli Government, found that as Minister of Defense during the 1982 Lebanon War Sharon bore "personal responsibility" for the massacre by Lebanese militias of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camps of Sabra and Shatila, for his having disregarded the prospect of acts of bloodshed by the Phalangists against the population of the refugee camps, and not having prevented their entry.
  • In the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, Sharon championed construction of Israeli settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The Ugly:

• After a massive stroke, he remained in a long-term care facility from 6 November 2006 until the time of his death. Medical experts indicated that his cognitive abilities had likely been destroyed by the stroke.
  • Ariel Sharon Coma: Brain Activity Shown In Tests Of Former Israel Prime Minister Ben-Gurion University on Sunday said Sharon responded to external stimuli at Soroka Hospital in Beersheba. He was shown pictures of his family and listened to recordings of his son's voice while undergoing a special brain imaging scan. The university said "significant brain activity was observed ... indicating appropriate processing of these stimulations."
  • Former Israeli leader Ariel Sharon dead, aged 85, after eight years in coma - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) An MRI scan a year ago detected some brain activity when Mr Sharon was shown photographs of his family and also when asked to imagine his home...But neurologists who carried out the study said he was effectively in a locked in state, unable to activate any muscles

I can't imagine anything worse than being locked-in, a consciousness unable to communicate. He was 84, that is a long life and from all accounts a full one. It would have been a kindness to have passed far sooner in my opinion.

Ariel Sharon, you are a complex man, and we will never know what you might have done had you been able to complete the agenda you set out. As prime minister, you took on tough and unpopular choices and you had the will and political ability to force them through. It appeared you also reversed course on certain actions, most likely because you saw them as in Israel's best interest - ending an occupation that was costly both politically and financially to Israel. I imagine your decisions made in your military career reflect a similar character.

Rest in peace where-ever you are. Like many of us, you can not be reduced to a simple polarity.

veteran, it's better to not respond to Sunni Troll. The more you respond, the more he trolls.

I have to admit my initial response to this was - bloody butcher. But this is a memorial thread and, as such it deserves a more thought out response then a knee jerk reaction based on ignorance.

Having a more thought out response meant doing a little research into who Ariel Sharon was, and what he was. Like many of his generation involved in this conflict on either side - he was a man more complex than can be defined in simple black and white dimensions. In the end he seems to have been a pragmatic realist in terms of what was best for Israel's long term survival.

This is what I found...Ariel Sharon: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

From Wikipedia

The Good:

• He was considered the greatest field commander in Israel's history, and one of the country's greatest ever military strategists.
  • After his assault of the Sinai in the Six-Day War and his encirclement of the Egyptian Third Army in the Yom Kippur War, the Israeli public nicknamed him "The King of Israel" and "The Lion of God".
  • As Prime Minister, in 2004–05 Sharon orchestrated Israel's unilateral disengagement from the Gaza Strip. Facing stiff opposition to this policy within the Likud, in November 2005 he left Likud to form a new Kadima party. He had been expected to win the next election and was widely interpreted as planning on "clearing Israel out of most of the West Bank", in a series of unilateral withdrawals.

The Bad:

• In 1983 the Kahan Commission, established by the Israeli Government, found that as Minister of Defense during the 1982 Lebanon War Sharon bore "personal responsibility" for the massacre by Lebanese militias of Palestinian civilians in the refugee camps of Sabra and Shatila, for his having disregarded the prospect of acts of bloodshed by the Phalangists against the population of the refugee camps, and not having prevented their entry.
  • In the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, Sharon championed construction of Israeli settlements in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

The Ugly:

• After a massive stroke, he remained in a long-term care facility from 6 November 2006 until the time of his death. Medical experts indicated that his cognitive abilities had likely been destroyed by the stroke.
  • Ariel Sharon Coma: Brain Activity Shown In Tests Of Former Israel Prime Minister Ben-Gurion University on Sunday said Sharon responded to external stimuli at Soroka Hospital in Beersheba. He was shown pictures of his family and listened to recordings of his son's voice while undergoing a special brain imaging scan. The university said "significant brain activity was observed ... indicating appropriate processing of these stimulations."
  • Former Israeli leader Ariel Sharon dead, aged 85, after eight years in coma - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) An MRI scan a year ago detected some brain activity when Mr Sharon was shown photographs of his family and also when asked to imagine his home...But neurologists who carried out the study said he was effectively in a locked in state, unable to activate any muscles

I can't imagine anything worse than being locked-in, a consciousness unable to communicate. He was 84, that is a long life and from all accounts a full one. It would have been a kindness to have passed far sooner in my opinion.

Ariel Sharon, you are a complex man, and we will never know what you might have done had you been able to complete the agenda you set out. As prime minister, you took on tough and unpopular choices and you had the will and political ability to force them through. It appeared you also reversed course on certain actions, most likely because you saw them as in Israel's best interest - ending an occupation that was costly both politically and financially to Israel. I imagine your decisions made in your military career reflect a similar character.

Rest in peace where-ever you are. Like many of us, you can not be reduced to a simple polarity.

He should have died years ago. This state of coma was pure torture on his body, they should have let him naturally cross over when he had this massive stroke.

I pray to God that when my time comes, I won't be homiliated like this, to be depended on machines to live. That's no way to exist.:(

RIP Ariel Sharon. The man was a brave hero, a Churchill-like character, and he never be forgotten. The Lion of Judah's life in pictures:

AX002_2419_9.jpg

Dayan_1955.jpg

sharon1967a.jpg

73961329c.jpg

a6.jpg

107348110_10_slide-a66c0c61d4f8f648694226c13dff7b9e56001dd5-s6-c30.jpg

Web_F731017yg01.jpg

article-2322735-19B772DD000005DC-716_964x627.jpg

ariel-sharon-book.jpg

8fdc4f6c-b9d1-4c7b-8ee1-e0ad601e49f4.img

1220658335.jpg

7.jpg

image.adapt.960.high.jpg

2014111141057569870_8.jpg

sharon-clinton.jpg

140102141741-30-ariel-sharon-horizontal-gallery.jpg

628x471.jpg

145033055__504015c.jpg

2014111142938894734_20.jpg

ariel_sharon_obit_2014_hero_v16x9_16x9_992.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the comments on CNN. Liberal antisemites are going nuts. Blaming him for Sabra and Shatila, but not the group that committed it..

"Blame the Jew" tactic is never getting old.

He wasn't to blame for Sabra and Shatila. Ariel is a legend and will go down in history as one. Much to the dismay of his enemies. People who hate Ariel generally are anti semitic so there isn't much you can say to change their minds. Facts definitely won't help.

ironically sabra was also his nickname, prickly pear

RIP Sharon

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o946egIVnbI]My Bologna - Weird Al Music Video - YouTube[/ame]

People talk positively about his book-

60866.jpg

Didn't agree with many of his actions, but been talking with my parents, they belong to that generation, and they truly speak fondly of him. admire him.

When he faded into his coma I was a teen, so I remember his leadership only partly, the reaction to the disangagement plan and all that failiur passing that. But I think I should read to book to get better inside.

Maybe I was cynical.
Had it not been for Ariel Sharon, Israel would not be where it is today. He helped save Israel during its critical times of need, and was with it every step of the way. Did he make mistakes? Sure. So did the brilliant general Moshe Dayan, when after the defeat of the Arabs, he decided to release control of the Dome of Rock to the Muslims, in order to show tolerance. Had it not been for that horrible mistake, the Arab / Israeli conflict would not exist as it does today. But both he and Ariel Sharon will forever be national heroes and saviors of the modern state of Israel.

Ariel Sharon was reported today to have died at the age of 85 yrs old. He was one of my favorite Prime Minister's of all time for Israel. A very humble, gracious man who gave his all for Israel. May G-d bless him and may he rest in peace. He is a legend. Fought in ever major war Israel was faced with and always believed Israel would prevail. White hair is found on the heads of the godly proverbs states and Ariel had a head full of white hair. RIP, Ariel. May the Lord bless and comfort your family, friends and loved ones today.

AOL.com Article - Former Israeli Prime Minister Sharon Dies at 85AOL.com
Former Israeli Prime Minister Sharon Dies at 85
Jan 11th 2014 8:04AM Share

44506 .
AP
FILE - In this Sunday May 16, 2004 file photo, Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon pauses during a news conference in his Jerusalem office regarding education reform. Israeli media outlets are reporting that Sharon has died Saturday, Jan. 11, 2014 at the age of 85. (AP Photo/Oded Balilty, File)

JERUSALEM (AP) - The son of former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon says his father has died.

The 85-year-old Sharon had been in a coma since a debilitating stroke eight years ago. The Sheba Medical Center that has been treating Sharon said last week that his health has been declining. Sharon had been suffered from failure vital organs including his kidneys shortly before his death.

His son Gilad Sharon said: "He has gone. He went when he decided to go."

The hard-charging Sharon was one of Israel's most iconic figures.

After a distinguished, and controversial, military career, he went into politics and held a number of Cabinet posts.

He was elected prime minister in 2001, and despite his hardline views, led Israel's historic withdrawal from the Gaza Strip in 2005.

His withdrawal from the Gaza Strip was his only mistake he made, IMO.

That left the Palestinians (PLO and Hamas) a missile launch pad that to this day harasses Isreal. The Isrealis will have a very hard time defeating and/or defanging Hamas, and if the PLO aligns with them and Iran and uses similar tactics to Hamas and Hezbollah, Isreal will be in an untenable position, and the cost in human lives to clean out those places will be far higher than what Sharon would have faced at the time.

But still, one mistake cannot over cloud all the other feats of his life, both military and civilian. I suspect he laid 7 years in a coma due to his determination to get back on his feet and serve his country.

Forum List

Back