Gnome or KDE?

Steerpike

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2007
When I was using OpenSUSE I used KDE, and I really liked it. To me, it looked more appealing than Gnome, even if you have Compiz effects going in Gnome.

Over time, though, I've come to like Gnome better, and that's what I use in Linux Mint.

The Enlightenment desktop in Elive looks great as well. I haven't tried the Ubuntu take-off that uses Enlightenment (Geubuntu), but I'm curious about it.

As of right now, I like Gnome best.

What about the rest of you?

When I was using OpenSUSE I used KDE, and I really liked it. To me, it looked more appealing than Gnome, even if you have Compiz effects going in Gnome.

Over time, though, I've come to like Gnome better, and that's what I use in Linux Mint.

The Enlightenment desktop in Elive looks great as well. I haven't tried the Ubuntu take-off that uses Enlightenment (Geubuntu), but I'm curious about it.

Gnome.

You really don't have to choose ... ;)

Unless you are talking about the specific desktop environment only, which Gnome I believe has the most available resources. But KDE apps work in Gnome as well.

Yeah, I meant just the desktop environment. I use KDE apps in Gnome. Notably, Amarok, which I really like.

I use Gnome. I have used KDE and I think it's getting to be a really good desktop environment but call me conservative (at your peril! :lol:) but I'm used to Gnome and I suppose I'm getting a bit lazy when it comes to the learning curve.

KDE has some brilliant apps though, Amarok doesn't like my current machine but it is a terrific app as is K3b. I like Kuickshow and it runs in Gnome very easily and for me it's better than the Gnome alternatives. I can run KDE in Karmic and I have done once and I do think it's less geeky than it was (which will piss off the isolationists no end) and looks pretty damn good.

Elive and Geubuntu don't work too well for me but that could be the llimitations of the machine I'm using. But I have to admit I'm not that fond of all that throbbing sparkly stuff, it keeps reminding me of the 1970s :lol:

I first dove into the Linux world with KDE, but since have migrated to GNOME. GNOME is far more streamlined and efficient, IMO.

Forum List

Back