Gluten Free

Lucy Hamilton

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2015
So we have a friend from Scotland staying with us for several days next week, Monday-Wednesday. They have to be Gluten Free in all foods, we've been reading up on this....to say the least, food times are going to be very complicated from Monday-Wednesday.

Does anyone have any experience with Gluten Free stuff/people?

If your friend has coeliac then cater to their needs. If not, then kick them in the pants and it's bread and water only.

take that for devaluing the seriousness of coeliac disease!

They're from scotland. Just deep fry everything and no pasta and bread and they'll be fine.

On a serious note I've been gluten free for months after finding it makes me feel loads healthier. I use chickpea flour also called gram flour for most things other than bread as it doesn't work. Steak and potatoes wis also just dandy.

I have a good friend who has trouble with gluten foodstuffs. She, being a grown up, is able to articulate what she can and cannot eat. Hopefully your friend is of similar character.

So we have a friend from Scotland staying with us for several days next week, Monday-Wednesday. They have to be Gluten Free in all foods, we've been reading up on this....to say the least, food times are going to be very complicated from Monday-Wednesday.

Not directly. A co-worker's mother had to be on that diet. Nothing with caramel coloring or breading unless you are sure it is gluten free, which most isn't. Just take them out for every meal :dunno:

• Banned

Not directly. A co-worker's mother had to be on that diet. Nothing with caramel coloring or breading unless you are sure it is gluten free, which most isn't. Just take them out for every meal :dunno:

OMG so what confusion this is going to be.

I have a good friend who has trouble with gluten foodstuffs. She, being a grown up, is able to articulate what she can and cannot eat. Hopefully your friend is of similar character.

Well hopefully yes, because from what we've read it seems Gluten Free people can't actually eat anything, unless it's their own special stuff.

They're from scotland. Just deep fry everything and no pasta and bread and they'll be fine.

On a serious note I've been gluten free for months after finding it makes me feel loads healthier. I use chickpea flour also called gram flour for most things other than bread as it doesn't work. Steak and potatoes wis also just dandy.

So you can eat steak and potatoes in normal fashion?

Well hopefully yes, because from what we've read it seems Gluten Free people can't actually eat anything, unless it's their own special stuff.

It's not that complicated, really. Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley (and triticale if you have that in Europa). Just avoid those grains, and you're on your way. Rice is a common substitute, especially for making breads, cakes and pastas. Potato flour too.

You will have to read ingredient labels for unlikely sources, like soy sauce.

It's not that complicated, really. Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley (and triticale if you have that in Europa). Just avoid that and you're on your way.

Okay so we can't just....send out for Pizza huh? :eusa_doh:

I have Celiac disease. It makes diet a challenge. There are alternatives and plenty of gluten free recipes, most are very good .

Mr. Lucy normally in charge of the kitchen duties, it seems he might be busy.

It's not that complicated, really. Gluten is found in wheat, rye and barley (and triticale if you have that in Europa). Just avoid that and you're on your way.

No but you can make a good (better) one at home. That's what I do. :rock:

I make GF brownines too --- they're wunderbar.

Gluten Free though....what does Gluten Free food taste like I wonder? Or does it even have a taste, a lot of foods minus key ingredients tend to have no actual taste.

Gluten Free though....what does Gluten Free food taste like I wonder? Or does it even have a taste, a lot of foods minus key ingredients tend to have no actual taste.

It varies. Some things just work best with wheat (like bread), so that may be an adjustment. The bread tends to fall apart and be very forgettable-tasting at best. But I've made decent GF pizza, very good GF pancakes, and killer GF brownies, so it depends on what you're baking.

Had a GF (hot) pie recently and that was pretty good --- the crust on a pie isn't that big a part of it anyway.

I have GF pasta made from rice, and it's fine, just as good as the wheat without the post-meal bloating.

Forum List

Back