Glow ball warming

Fresh water bulgin' inna Arctic Ocean...
:eusa_eh:
Arctic Ocean freshwater bulge detected
23 January 2012 - Arctic summers have seen a decline in both ice extent and thickness
UK scientists have detected a huge dome of fresh water that is developing in the western Arctic Ocean. The bulge is some 8,000 cubic km in size and has risen by about 15cm since 2002. The team thinks it may be the result of strong winds whipping up a great clockwise current in the northern polar region called the Beaufort Gyre. This would force the water together, raising sea surface height, the group tells the journal Nature Geoscience.

"In the western Arctic, the Beaufort Gyre is driven by a permanent anti-cyclonic wind circulation. It drives the water, forcing it to pile up in the centre of gyre, and this domes the sea surface," explained lead author Dr Katharine Giles from the Centre for Polar Observation and Modelling (CPOM) at University College London. "In our data, we see the trend being biggest in the centre of the gyre and less around the edges," she told BBC News.

Dr Giles and colleagues made their discovery using radar satellites belonging to the European Space Agency (Esa). These spacecraft can measure sea-surface height even when there is widespread ice cover because they are adept at picking out the cracks, or leads, that frequently appear in the frozen floes. The data (1995-2010) indicates a significant swelling of water in the Beaufort Gyre, particularly since the early part of the 2000s. The rising trend has been running at 2cm per year.

Model prediction

A lot of research from buoys and other in-situ sampling had already indicated that water in this region of the Arctic had been freshening. This fresh water is coming in large part from the rivers running off the Eurasian (Russian) side of the Arctic basin. Winds and currents have transported this fresh water around the ocean until it has been pulled into the gyre. The volume currently held in the circulation probably represents about 10% of all the fresh water in the Arctic.

More BBC News - Arctic Ocean freshwater bulge detected

A complete list of things caused by global warming

It's a miracle we're not all dead already.

Hardly any of those links go to actual peer reviewed journal articles. Most link to articles written by journalists who have no formal scientific training.

So clearly we need to assign a lot of weight to this. Fucking journalists know much more about science than scientists, and they are hardly ever alarmist in anything they talk about, so something is up here,

I love that term "peer-reviewed"!!
:lol:

Peer:
one that is of equal standing with another

So since Liability is a Peer of mine, and I have reviewed his statements and agree with them and find them without fault, that makes them 'peer-reviewed'.
Thus making his statements FACT!!!

I win

:clap2:

Hardly any of those links go to actual peer reviewed journal articles. Most link to articles written by journalists who have no formal scientific training.

So clearly we need to assign a lot of weight to this. Fucking journalists know much more about science than scientists, and they are hardly ever alarmist in anything they talk about, so something is up here,

:lol:

Peer:
one that is of equal standing with another

So since Liability is a Peer of mine, and I have reviewed his statements and agree with them and find them without fault, that makes them 'peer-reviewed'.
Thus making his statements FACT!!!

I win

:clap2:
I've peer reviewed this post and find it to be 100% accurate!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NaQxUEfxt0]Mr Johnson is Right - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Yeah its ridiculous. Scientists should not have their work reviewed by other scientists. They should have it reviewed by the media and the general public. If their theory sounds good to people it must be true, no matter what other scientists think. What is and is not good science is judged by popular opinion - not lines of evidence published in silly peer reviewed snooty elite faced articles that only snobs read. Besides, lots of people with very good websites, who spend lots of time attempting to refute the evidence for AGW, say there is no evidence for AGW.

Al Gore hockey sticks!

Yeah its ridiculous. Scientists should not have their work reviewed by other scientists. They should have it reviewed by the media and the general public. If their theory sounds good to people it must be true, no matter what other scientists think. What is and is not good science is judged by popular opinion - not lines of evidence published in silly peer reviewed snooty elite faced articles that only snobs read. Besides, lots of people with very good websites, who spend lots of time attempting to refute the evidence for AGW, say there is no evidence for AGW.

Al Gore hockey sticks!

Since OomphyDufus cannot refute the thesis of the attacks on the AGW Faithers, he resorts to his pitiful attempt at sarcasm.

In the process he only underscores what is already known. He is in way the fuck over his head.

OomphyDouchey: SCIENCE is real.

AGW crap is not.

Al Gore hockey sticks!

Since OomphyDufus cannot refute the thesis of the attacks on the AGW Faithers, he resorts to his pitiful attempt at sarcasm.

In the process he only underscores what is already known. He is in way the fuck over his head.

OomphyDouchey: SCIENCE is real.

AGW crap is not.

I already know AGW is crap. Lots of people - some with very nice websites - say so.

^^^
I've peer reviewed this post and can vouch for its 100% veracity.

Scientific peer review for publications is generally anonymous to the author.

This is why scientists generally have much incentive to be thoroughly family with the background of a topic they are writing on, there's no way to tell who the referee is.

Last edited:
^^^

This is why scientists generally have much incentive to be thoroughly family with the background of a topic they are writing on, there's no way to tell who the referee is.

...except when the high priests decree who the reviewers will be.

^^^

Right, the "high priests", otherwise known as "editors". Evil people.

Guess you missed that part in the Climategate emails, huh, where they talk about shopping for reviewers.

I understand. You can't sin against the Cult. Apostasy is frowned upon.

Guess you missed that part in the Climategate emails, huh, where they talk about shopping for reviewers.

I did miss it. Maybe you can show us a copy....

but I doubt it. I've learned on this message board that skeptics like to talk about the "CimateGate' emails, but they rarely like to quote them, and when they do, rarely the entire email and its context.

I did miss it. Maybe you can show us a copy....

but I doubt it. I've learned on this message board that skeptics like to talk about the "CimateGate' emails, but they rarely like to quote them, and when they do, rarely the entire email and its context.
Climate Change Emails Reveal Rigged 'Consensus' - WSJ.com

Good synopsis (with in-context quotes and links to the emails in question) here:

Climategate 2 and Corruption of Peer Review – Part II | New Zealand Climate Change

Last edited:

Forum List

Back