Give an example of when man's ethics and morality are superior to Gawds

I'll go first. This example is pretty obvious. SLAVERY--Gawd approves of slavery, but men condemn slavery. We even fought a war over it because it's repulsive.

When people claim they get their morals from reading the Bible, I'm thinking REALLY? How so? I mean, we are way ahead concerning ethics and morality...way ahead.

Okay, your turn.

I don't feel the need to have people worship me.

Very true

My wife and I created our children but we do not expect them to spend one day a week worshiping us. We do not expect them to thank us for their dinner. We do not make them pray to us at night

But I do teach them that just being in my mere presence is the definition of heaven! :D

I'll go first. This example is pretty obvious. SLAVERY--Gawd approves of slavery, but men condemn slavery. We even fought a war over it because it's repulsive.

When people claim they get their morals from reading the Bible, I'm thinking REALLY? How so? I mean, we are way ahead concerning ethics and morality...way ahead.

Okay, your turn.

Very true

My wife and I created our children but we do not expect them to spend one day a week worshiping us. We do not expect them to thank us for their dinner. We do not make them pray to us at night
Do you expect them to obey your rules, or do you let them make up their own as they go? Serious question.

Okay, your turn.

Very true

Do you expect them to obey your rules, or do you let them make up their own as they go? Serious question.

I expect them to do both...neither of which is the same as expecting them to "worship" me.

Okay, your turn.

Very true

I bet you that rightwinger is not going to douse them with gasoline for refusing to repent.

If I didn't quote someone .might mean I'm replying to the op instead of wading thru everything else.

You should ignore idiots like the OP.

If she uses "Gawd" instead of "God", you know right then and there that she isn't looking for any kind of rational honest discussion. She is simply trolling.
I agree with that, but that disrespect shown by the OP, toward other people, just strengthens some of our faith. Respect for others is one of the biggest things missing in this world now, and I see it shown on both sides of the aisle.

I understand but she's a troll and this is a troll thread. You'll never get her to see that or any kind of reason at all. She proved that in her OP with her choice of words. You are both wasting your time and giving the troll attention.

No one is forcing either of you to post here.
That is very true, I post here with respect and humility, with the knowledge that one person on the fence might read this thread, and see the disrespect shown by some, and choose to be respectful toward all. I'm trying to make USMB a more civilized place, what are you trying to do Carla?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 41
Strangely enough

The concept that slavery is immoral maybe based on an abstraction of the Golden Rule:If it can harm you/people, then it must be immoral.

Also given the fact that an outspoken christian minister spoke out against and started up the abolitionist movement, and we have christian theological taint all over it.

Slavery is immoral--that is christian free thought!!

Strangely enough

The concept that slavery is immoral maybe based on an abstraction of the Golden Rule:If it can harm you/people, then it must be immoral.

Also given the fact that an outspoken christian minister spoke out against and started up the abolitionist movement, and we have christian theological taint all over it.

I disagree. That is not christian free thought, since the Bible condones slavery, and our secular laws are superior to Biblical laws....by far.

Brown v. Board of Education --Established that separate schools for black and whites are unconstitutional.

After the Supreme Court's decision, religious segregationists set up religious schools so they could opt out of the public school system and re-segregate their white children into religious "all white" schools.

They set up between 150-200 of these schools right after the 1964 Civil Rights act, across the Southern States.

In 1970 the federal Government no longer allowed these schools to be tax exempt, (for private schools) unless they adopted racially nondiscriminatory admissions policies..

Last edited:
Not only that, but preachers all over the South were telling us in the 1950's that segregation was god's plan, which is why blacks were from Africa. Apparently, god did not foresee the invention of ships.

Not only that, but preachers all over the South were telling us in the 1950's that segregation was god's plan, which is why blacks were from Africa. Apparently, god did not foresee the invention of ships.

That's exactly how it went down!

These religious nutters of the South said they should be allowed to maintain private/religious, all-white schools on the grounds that Gawd separated mankind into various nations and races, and that such separation should be preserved in the fear of the lord.

Strangely enough

I disagree. That is not christian free thought, since the Bible condones slavery, and our secular laws are superior to Biblical laws....by far.

Brown v. Board of Education --Established that separate schools for black and whites are unconstitutional.

After the Supreme Court's decision, religious segregationists set up religious schools so they could opt out of the public school system and re-segregate their white children into religious "all white" schools.

They set up between 150-200 of these schools right after the 1964 Civil Rights act, across the Southern States.

In 1970 the federal Government no longer allowed these schools to be tax exempt, (for private schools) unless they adopted racially nondiscriminatory admissions policies..

Yes--the Bible condones slavery

However, it were christians(not the Bible) who first realized that slavery was evil.

Remember, free thinking requires the breaking away from dogma. Also, because there were christian priests that argued for slavery that does not take away from the fact that christian free thinking was the ideological heart of the abolitionists movement.

Strangely enough

However, it were christians(not the Bible) who first realized that slavery was evil.

Remember, free thinking requires the breaking away from dogma. Also, because there were christian priests that argued for slavery that does not take away from the fact that christian free thinking was the ideological heart of the abolitionists movement.

These abolitionists did not learn slavery is wrong through biblical experience, they learned it through human experience. That's exactly why I say man's ethics and morality are superior to Gawd's.

Strangely enough

These abolitionists did not learn slavery is wrong through biblical experience, they learned it through human experience. That's exactly why I say man's ethics and morality are superior to Gawd's.

I would agree with you except for one little problem: The first abolitionists--the original founders of the movement--were never slaves.

So it was neither dogmatic handling of the bible nor personal experiences that got these guys to oppose slavery

Strangely enough

I would agree with you except for one little problem: The first abolitionists--the original founders of the movement--were never slaves.

So it was neither dogmatic handling of the bible nor personal experiences that got these guys to oppose slavery

They were never slaves, they were themselves slave owners. You are talking about Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin, right?

Strangely enough

They were never slaves, they were themselves slave owners. You are talking about Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin, right?
No

The english preacher Wilberforce, Jefferson and Franklin comes much much latter!

Forum List

Back