Ginscpy's everlasting gobstopper Beatles thread - 69 threads combined!

Well The Beatles were extremely influential in one major regard: nobody before them actually wrote their own lyrics/music (outside of Buddy Holly), and after them nobody dared not to. Paul McCartney on the bass had a lot of bass lines and fills-which wasn't done before that time. And a lot of young bands out there today will cite The Beatles as an influence. Just because somebody doesn't name a group as an influence-doesn't mean their influence isn't there. Most people who play the electric guitar for example are influenced by Les Paul-even if they never cite him as one.

what??.....ever hear of Chuck Berry?.....Link Wray?.....The Everly Brothers?....Richie Valens?....Bo Diddley?......Little Richard?......

-Ellas McDaniel wrote almost all of Bo Diddley's songs

- the Everly Brothers didn't write most of their songs, most of their albums were covers, or written by other people/the producer (they get writing credits for maybe 1-2 songs on most of their albums).

-Link Wray came out at the same time as The Beatles

-Little Richard wrote about half of his songs, sometimes less (depending on the album)

-Chuck Berry and Richie Valens I agree 100% with.

I guess saying "nobody" wasn't completely accurate-but overwhelming majority didn't. But by the 70's rolled around, there weren't many people performing songs that they didn't write (or co-write).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maD5k-vUI4o&feature=related]THE WHO - Long Live Rock - 1973[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOUqRZkR8dE]The Who - Pinball Wizard (From "Live At The Isle Of Wight Festival") - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfR_HWMzgyc]Kashmir - Led Zeppelin - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgubG-MOPT4]The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ZwBUOrjOg]Led Zeppelin - Babe, I'm Gonna Leave you (Live) - YouTube[/ame]

Well The Beatles were extremely influential in one major regard: nobody before them actually wrote their own lyrics/music (outside of Buddy Holly), and after them nobody dared not to. Paul McCartney on the bass had a lot of bass lines and fills-which wasn't done before that time. And a lot of young bands out there today will cite The Beatles as an influence. Just because somebody doesn't name a group as an influence-doesn't mean their influence isn't there. Most people who play the electric guitar for example are influenced by Les Paul-even if they never cite him as one.

what??.....ever hear of Chuck Berry?.....Link Wray?.....The Everly Brothers?....Richie Valens?....Bo Diddley?......Little Richard?......

- the Everly Brothers didn't write most of their songs, most of their albums were covers, or written by other people/the producer (they get writing credits for maybe 1-2 songs on most of their albums).

-Little Richard wrote about half of his songs, sometimes less (depending on the album)

I guess saying "nobody" wasn't completely accurate-but overwhelming majority didn't. But by the 70's rolled around, there weren't many people performing songs that they didn't write (or co-write).
dude Ellas McDaniel IS Bo Diddley.....:eusa_eh:
Link Wray was late 50's......
and even if Little Richard did other peoples songs,he wrote or co-wrote enough of his own songs to be considered a Composer.......everybody does covers now and then....
ill give you the Everly's.....they employed a songwriting team.....
Eddie Cochran wrote enough of his stuff......
Gene Vincent wrote his stuff.....Hank Ballard......
look James i agree there a lot of "Greats" who just perform.....Elvis being the biggest one....he wrote shit and yet he is considered the "King".....to me Chuck Berry is the King of Rock and Roll.....but there were players before the Beatles who wrote their own stuff.....some just never got big....

and even if Little Richard did other peoples songs,he wrote or co-wrote enough of his own songs to be considered a Composer.......everybody does covers now and then....
look James i agree there a lot of "Greats" who just perform.....Elvis being the biggest one....he wrote shit and yet he is considered the "King".....to me Chuck Berry is the King of Rock and Roll.....but there were players before the Beatles who wrote their own stuff.....some just never got big....

-I feel dumb not knowing that was Bo Diddley, not a big Bo Diddley fan, but still no excuse for that :lol: I admit I was wrong about that.

-I'm not disputing that there weren't any people who wrote their own songs before the Beatles. My main point was that many people before them performed songs not written by them, such as Elvis, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, James Brown, Ray Charles (although he did write some), off the top of my head-and those are obviously not obscure names. (also not saying this makes them less of a performer).

But how many acts did this after The Beatles? Sure some groups may add a cover on an album, or record an album dedicated to covers, but the bulk of material post-Beatles were original songs. That's what I was really trying to get at.

-I feel dumb not knowing that was Bo Diddley, not a big Bo Diddley fan, but still no excuse for that :lol: I admit I was wrong about that.

-I'm not disputing that there weren't any people who wrote their own songs before the Beatles. My main point was that many people before them performed songs not written by them, such as Elvis, Fats Domino, Jerry Lee Lewis, James Brown, Ray Charles (although he did write some), off the top of my head-and those are obviously not obscure names. (also not saying this makes them less of a performer).

But how many acts did this after The Beatles? Sure some groups may add a cover on an album, or record an album dedicated to covers, but the bulk of material post-Beatles were original songs. That's what I was really trying to get at.

James i can agree on what your saying.....i know that during the 60's there were Groups made up just to be the Vehicles for Songwriters from different Record Companies.....the Grassroots were one....Gary Lewis had Leon Russell writing a lot of his Music.....Herman's Hermits had writers.......and the Monkees of course....the Searchers had writers....the Turtles .....these groups sold well doing others material....in the 50's Muddy Waters and Howlin Wolf had Willie Dixon writing many big blues Songs for them....but Elvis i think is so overrated it stinks.....

I'm 55 years old. I remember the older kids liking the Beatles and so did I, until I was itroduced to good music.

The Beatles were the Backstreet Boys of my generation. Nobody cool, nobody who appreciated good music would be caught dead listening to them. Most bands around at the time were better than they were: The Who, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, Steppenwolf, The Animals, and on and on.

They are the most over-rated band ever.

I'm 55 years old. I remember the older kids liking the Beatles and so did I, until I was itroduced to good music.

The Beatles were the Backstreet Boys of my generation. Nobody cool, nobody who appreciated good music would be caught dead listening to them. Most bands around at the time were better than they were: The Who, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, Steppenwolf, The Animals, and on and on.

They are the most over-rated band ever.

Scoreboard Baby!

They blow away ever other rock group (and Individuals like Hendrix and Elvis and MJ etc) in terms of sales, hits, nos 1s etc etc etc in 8 years of public existence!!!!!!!! (62 to 70)

Sowed their seeds/paid their dues from 58 to 62 in dumps like The Cavern(today a tourist attraction) and Hamburg etc...

The Fab 4 - nobody did antthing better

If anything- Help was bett than A Hard Days Night

(and they were under pressure to produceandnot be oneshot wonders)

Help was at least as goo das A Hard Days Night

Literally - not enough time in one 24 hour day to listen to all of their hits on You Tube

The Beatles weren't only more popular than Jesus.

They were more popular than God.

Not gay either

All 4 of them had wives and children

Good that they fired Pete Best

Forum List

Back