Giant airship that can land anywhere..and stay in the air for 3 weeks.

Actually nothing like a blimp.
Not really at all...besides what it looks like.
What blimp can land in water?
What blimp doesn't require a huge ground crew to land?
What blimp can carry 1,000 tons?

I worked on a blimp project a few years back. It was called High Altitude long Loiter. It would stay on target for months with no crew at 50,000 feet. Sort of like a low level satellite. Think of a drone that can stay up indefinitely.

There is definitely a use militarily

I worked on a blimp project a few years back. It was called High Altitude long Loiter. It would stay on target for months with no crew at 50,000 feet. Sort of like a low level satellite. Think of a drone that can stay up indefinitely.

Military use? Against a bunch of natives with spears maybe. It's such a big target that a SAM could be fired upside down and still hit it. Does it run on greenhouse gas?

Military use? Against a bunch of natives with spears maybe. It's such a big target that a SAM could be fired upside down and still hit it. Does it run on greenhouse gas?

At the altitude it flies at, it is hard to detect. A speck in the sky. Greenhouse gas? No......solar

At the altitude it flies at, it is hard to detect. A speck in the sky. Greenhouse gas? No......solar

No, solar is the (alternate?) power source that allegedly keeps the thing inflated. It has to be a gas bag to stay up that long. We have military specks in the sky called satelites. What is the military benefit of a gas bag that can land on water?

No, solar is the (alternate?) power source that allegedly keeps the thing inflated. It has to be a gas bag to stay up that long. We have military specks in the sky called satelites. What is the military benefit of a gas bag that can land on water?

Communications, recon, intel

Looks cool.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Mide2KXow]Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Theatrical trailer - YouTube[/ame]

"Communications, recon and intell" with a high tech manned gas bag? I'm trying to get a handle on the concept. I don't think the US Military has a problem with communications or recon and don't even mention intelligence which is run from a hundred bureaucratic federal agencies. We don't even fight that kind of war anymore. I'm guessing that the idea is more like a cold-war and dooms-day concept.

"Communications, recon and intell" with a high tech manned gas bag? I'm trying to get a handle on the concept. I don't think the US Military has a problem with communications or recon and don't even mention intelligence which is run from a hundred bureaucratic federal agencies. We don't even fight that kind of war anymore. I'm guessing that the idea is more like a cold-war and dooms-day concept.

The average drone can stay on target 12-24 hours. The bag of gas can stay up for months. That bag of air can intercept communications, act as an airborne relay to enhance Comms, spy...that type of mission never goes out of style.

The gas bag can stay up for months monitoring a huge footprint. When it locks on an interesting target you can always call in a drone or airstrike

The gas bag is not manned. It is flown remotely......even from the US

I get it now. NATO robot war where nobody has to take responsibility for the drone strike and there is constant surveillance of interesting targets programmed by an unmanned gas bag in the sky.

Forum List

Back