Galaxy S2 becomes top smartphone: US magazine

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by xomputer, Nov 16, 2011.

1. xomputer

xomputer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Galaxy S2 becomes top smartphone: US magazine

Samsung Electronics Co.'s Galaxy S2 smartphone was named as the best smartphone by a well-known U.S. magazine in its latest handset survey, industry sources said Monday.

Consumer Reports recommended the Galaxy sequel as the best smartphone pick for subscribers of three major mobile carriers in the United States.

The magazine gave the Galaxy S2 rolled out by AT&T Inc. a score of 80, the highest among smartphones available at the No. 2 mobile operator in the U.S.

The Galaxy S2 models released by T-Mobile and Sprint Nextel Corp. also received the highest scores among the operators' smartphones.

For subscribers of Verizon Communications Inc., the only major U.S. mobile carrier that did not release the Galaxy S2 smartphone, Consumer Reports recommended the Droid Bionic smartphone, an Android-power handset by Motorola Mobility Holdings Ltd.

The Galaxy S2 received the top scores in the categories of screen, usability, messaging and Web browsing. The magazine also praised its voice calls, camera functions and battery life.

Other Android-based smartphones by HTC Corp. and LG Electronics Inc. also ranked high on the list compiled by Consumer Reports.

On the other hand, the U.S. magazine gave lower scores for Apple Inc.'s iPhone 4S.

The iPhone 4S was ranked fourth on the list of smartphones recommended to AT&T's service subscribers. It failed to rank in the top five of other mobile operators' smartphone lists.

[​IMG]

2. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,413
    I'm with Verizon. I like my Samsung stoopid phone. At least it has a slide out keyboard for texting.
    My previous (and stoopider) phone was Motorola. The reception with that one was much gooder.

3. Ropey

Ropey To Life! Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,992
    [​IMG]

I absolutely love one handed texting as I'm a texting machine. The keys are notched and have the return dots for tactile recognition. The keys on the 9000 are the largest of any BB presently so I'm not moving.

Also, I've dropped my 9000 so many times and it still works fine. My wife dropped her Sammy from her purse, and it was time for a new one.

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,413
    I'd get one of those, but texting while driving is illegal in IL. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    NASA uses smartphones to serve as low-cost satellites...
    :cool:
    Rely on a Smartphone? New NASA Satellites Do
    April 23, 2013 - Smartphones. We carry them in our pockets, toss them in our tote bags and have them at the ready whenever we want directions to a destination or to snap a picture or to call a friend. Perhaps we're often guilty of taking the gadgets' microprocessing powers for granted. Not so with NASA, which just sent three smartphones into space as low-cost satellites.
    See also:

Be wary of smartphone games damaging eyesight
    Sat, Apr 20, 2013 - Candy Crush Saga is the most popular game being played on smartphones as of late.

6. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    You can spend a lot of money changing your eyeglass prescription every few months, or you can just get a set of Pinhole Glasses for $20 and improve your vision that way.

Pinhole glasses - aviator style

But that wouldn't support the Medical Industrial Complex now would it?