Getting to know you.

You are pulling out from your driveway and accidentally smack into the mailbox of your neighbor across the street. Nobody saw you do it or heard it happen but it knocked it over however did not dent your car. Do you tell them?

Me: yes. But I would have to explain that I need to wait until I get another SS check before I can replace the mailbox.

Of course, no brainer.

OK. One more. Then someone else ask a question that is on topic!

Someone at USMB you are familiar with, posted along with, got along with or actually don't much like....is in the hospital dying. The family posts the hospital, where it is located, the room number and address so it can be verified this is all true. All this person wants to do is say goodbye, no hard feelings, and get a card from you before they pass on. Do you send one?

In a heartbeat, if not more.

Remember Sunshine? Don't know if she ever came back, was suffering from pulmonary hypertension, which I understand since my dear friend has had the same thing for years. Sunshine and I fought like cats and dogs in Politics, but when she indicated some sort of challenge one time I told her if she needed I would drive to Kentucky and help her out. And I meant it. Made the same offer to Strollingbones. Neither one took me up on it but a friend in need is a friend in need.

You are pulling out from your driveway and accidentally smack into the mailbox of your neighbor across the street. Nobody saw you do it or heard it happen but it knocked it over however did not dent your car. Do you tell them?

Me: yes. But I would have to explain that I need to wait until I get another SS check before I can replace the mailbox.

Of course, no brainer.
Not necessarily. My roomie knocked over the across-the-street mailbox and didn't tell them but told me AFTER the neighbor replaced the mailbox AND the pole that was knocked completely over. I told him to pay the neighbor or I would raise his rent and shame on him!
He did as I asked. He offered but the neighbor declined and said it happens sometimes and no biggie. Roomie soon moved out. He know I was disgusted at him not telling the neighbor and my threat to raise his rent.

Of course, no brainer.
Not necessarily. My roomie knocked over the across-the-street mailbox and didn't tell them but told me AFTER the neighbor replaced the mailbox AND the pole that was knocked completely over. I told him to pay the neighbor or I would raise his rent and shame on him!
He did as I asked. He offered but the neighbor declined and said it happens sometimes and no biggie. Roomie soon moved out. He know I was disgusted at him not telling the neighbor and my threat to raise his rent.

Aside from just doing the right thing, depending on how the place is set up, there's always a chance someone saw it happen from a distance. I wouldn't want to chance that. Your neighbor was very gracious.

I wonder how Sunshine is and whatever happened to her. I hope she just stopped posting because she got better and is now basking in the sunshine of some tropical island.

So..anyone have some questions to ask of your fellow USMB denizens?

To Err is Human................and I would apologize for hitting the mail box and repair or replace it.

OK. One more. Then someone else ask a question that is on topic!

Someone at USMB you are familiar with, posted along with, got along with or actually don't much like....is in the hospital dying. The family posts the hospital, where it is located, the room number and address so it can be verified this is all true. All this person wants to do is say goodbye, no hard feelings, and get a card from you before they pass on. Do you send one?

Me: Yes. Along with some flowers.
Yes as well..............

Question 2: You are at the stop light. An old person is walking very slowly across the cross walk. The light turns green. People behind you are honking but the old person just stumbled and fell. Do you wait for them to get back up on their own or do you get out of the car and assist them to cross safely while people behind you are hollering or honking?

My answer. Yes. One arm around the old person, the other flipping a bird sign to those honking.

You are going down the road in the pouring down rain...........You see a car that has lost control and goes off the road..............It is a mom, and she has a car full of kids................Has a flat tire and is stuck in the mud..............You have been at work all day......................

I did stop, as did others. Pushed her car out of the mud...........changed the tire and told her to have a nice day and be careful..................I had assistance from 2 other stopped cars to get her out of there.

You are driving down the road in pouring rain. There is a dog sitting there at the edge of the road. Alone. Shivering. Wet and muddy. Do you stop and try to get it into the car, mud and all?

Me: A resounding YES.

You are driving down the road in pouring rain. There is a dog sitting there at the edge of the road. Alone. Shivering. Wet and muddy. Do you stop and try to get it into the car, mud and all?

I am sorry but can't say I'd do that one..............I love animals but we have too many............I'd stop and try to get the dog out of the road............but I'd probably assume he is from a home close by.............

I've stopped to get turtles out of the road many a time............Trying to keep them from getting run over.

Been there, done that. :thup:

It was on the Natchez Trace Parkway, right at the beginning of a 700 mile drive home. This poor terrier, hair all matted, had obviously been out there for some time, hungry, thirsty -- this is a rural road not near any residences. I turned around and drove back to my Mom's house ten miles or so away. We gave her some water and some cat food, checked around in the paper and bulletin boards, nobody reported such a dog.

Put her back in the car and drove her all the way here to Carolina -- I hadn't got the house here ready yet to move in but I kept her a couple of days until I could get her to the shelter. It's a really good shelter here, they're no-kill, they clean up the animal and place them. They said she was a Dandy Dinmont Terrier. They did a great job cleaning her up and getting her prepped for adoption.

I volunteer for that shelter now. Great people. Got my cat there.

If I see a dog that looks lost/out of its territory and it's not wild, I always try to check for a tag and if necessary call the owner, and I'll go out of my way to do that. I'd want the same if it were my dog missing.

I mowed it down with my snowmobile. I was going too fast, it was very snowy, visibility was awful, and I didn't see it until it was too late to avoid it. So I jumped off the machine and it destroyed her mailbox.

I put up a temporary mailbox the same day and installed a new mailbox of her choosing the next spring. She wanted it encased in bricks. Even though that's much more expensive than the mailbox on a post that I ruined I built it anyways, because I'm a mason and enjoy doing things like that.

And we have laughed together at the yelps when the local teenaged mailbox assassins try to drive down the road and knock it over with a Louisville Slugger. She's found several shattered bats in her yard.

Forum List

Back