Get rid of Social Security now?

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...rewed-generation-is-turning-to-paul-ryan.html

The younger generation will pull for Paul Ryan when they realize they will become the oxen in the field responsible for carrying the elderly in their bloated government programs.

I was up late the other night and all you saw were infomercials for medical crap where the announcer stated...."Medicare will pay for it all....just see your doctor." This wasn't for life threatening stuff.

Young people are catching on.

Poor baby! You think it was any more fun for our older generation to be forced to pay into the program? You think you are more entitled to take home your whole paycheck than we were. And I'll bet that when you were a child you thought you were entitled to food, shelter, clothing, transportation, etc. etc. Try to pretend you are an adult.

The government will not get rid of social security. If they did, they would have to return all the money people have paid into the program.

The Republicans will not be content until they rid the nation of Social Security. This battle could go on for years, and for years the aged will live in fear.
Would it be in the best interests of America to elect Republicans in the next election. The Republicans will drop the Social Security and other social programs. Once the loss of Social Security is felt Americans will then rid the nation of Republicans. It might take years for the entire cleansing but the new Social Security program might then be secure for a long time to come.

So just how long ago WAS your traumatic head injury?

That is not the definition of welfare.

SS is just a welfare program paid from current revenues.

There ain't no lockbox.

Obama is TURNING SS into welfare by stealing the premiums and proposing to raise the caps on higher earners. Because now that it's running in deficit every year 47% of taxpayers pay NOTHING to fund the SS shortfalls. It's clever redistribution of the finest order. There is nothing of value in the lockbox -- thus only Federal INCOME tax payers cover the shortfall.

It wasn't INTENDED as welfare, shouldn't be considered welfare, but perhaps the Dems are right that we should transition it to a means-tested welfare program instead of UNIVERSAL coverage. FDR will punish them for that.... And I will never trust the Feds to manage ANY UNIVERSAL program ever again...

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...rewed-generation-is-turning-to-paul-ryan.html

The younger generation will pull for Paul Ryan when they realize they will become the oxen in the field responsible for carrying the elderly in their bloated government programs.

I was up late the other night and all you saw were infomercials for medical crap where the announcer stated...."Medicare will pay for it all....just see your doctor." This wasn't for life threatening stuff.

Young people are catching on.

YOU DIRTY LIAR. You heard no such thing.:eusa_hand:
Everyone who has half a brain knows Medicare only pay 80%.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion to the OP, rather than getting rid of Social Security, perhaps our Govt. begins to pay back one of it's largest debtors, oh by the way that happens to be Social Security. The point is , rather than using Social Security as the nations "piggy bank" because our Govt. cannot spend it's money in a wise manner, perhaps fund it as intended and then generations of Americans that follow will not have to worry about such things as a reduction in benefits in their later years.

The Republicans will not be content until they rid the nation of Social Security. This battle could go on for years, and for years the aged will live in fear.
Would it be in the best interests of America to elect Republicans in the next election. The Republicans will drop the Social Security and other social programs. Once the loss of Social Security is felt Americans will then rid the nation of Republicans. It might take years for the entire cleansing but the new Social Security program might then be secure for a long time to come.

Fear mongering is all you Obamabots have left... God knows, Obama cannot run on his record. I'd ask you for links to prove your claims, but we both know they'll be meaningless.

ObamaCare is good enough record for millions. My daughter who has pre-existing heart condition. Her daughter in college staying on her policy until she is out of college and working. 45 millon uninsured not insured. Obama's overall record: The stimulus worked, OBL is dead and GM is alive. Your children came home alive from Iraq and not in body bags when Obama ended that war and the war in afghanistan is ending. Never should have started in the first place. Waste of time, money and lives and nothing gained. Stimulus a big plus.

This talk about SS going away completely is preposterous.

The truth is--SS will still be around. It just won't pay out as much as it used to(in terms of standard of living), that is all.

So yes, We will still have SS.
No, you probably can not live off of it, so start saving now!

Just a suggestion to the OP, rather than getting rid of Social Security, perhaps our Govt. begins to pay back one of it's largest debtors, oh by the way that happens to be Social Security. The point is , rather than using Social Security as the nations "piggy bank" because our Govt. cannot spend it's money in a wise manner, perhaps fund it as intended and then generations of Americans that follow will not have to worry about such things as a reduction in benefits in their later years.

I'm all for that. But what stolen remains stolen. And politicians like Obama have invented NEW thefts when the surplus was no longer available for pilfering. NOW -- he's stealing directly from the "premium" income.. And there is NO OUTCRY!!!

Maybe -- we don't deserve such a well-intentioned plan.. Because it's OUR FAULT that its been grossly mismanaged.

The kind of reset you suggest COULD occur after the SS crisis that we've known about for 30 yrs. But by then, they'll be a lot of folks who aren't interested in any more UNIVERSAL anything after barely surviving (we can hope) the upcoming shortfalls..

Any links supporting these claims?
It's an opinion and a sensible one.

So-called Republicans, who are in fact emerging fascists, such as Romney and Ryan will definitely try to privatize Social Security, which will destroy the extraordinarily beneficial program and turn it into a cash cow for them and their corporatist cronies. But the effects of doing so will provoke the political revolution which is desperately needed to bring about the changes which will restore the middle class to its pre-Reagan status.

In other words, things need to get worse before they can get better.

The truth is--SS will still be around. It just won't pay out as much as it used to(in terms of standard of living), that is all.

You just illustrated what a rip off SS is.

If one cannot live off of 15% of one's lifetime income that has been saved at even a modest return then one is getting ripped off.

The fucking government is ripping us off with the SS scam.

If one cannot live off of 15% of one's lifetime income that has been saved at even a modest return then one is getting ripped off.

Actually, one should look at SS as supplementary income to help you survive instead of basic income to live off of.

My advice--The moment you are able to take out out SS, take it out now. It is not going to increase by refusing it and you already paid for it.

That advice for anyone--regardless if you are rich or poor. That, in theory, IS your money.

When do democrats like you plan to put the money back into SS.

Democrats placed this money in the general fund to spend...

Pu it back asshole........

Seems to me Democrats are less worried about "protecting seniors" than they are about losing their favorite piggy bank. They know perfectly well that, given the chance, the first thing Republicans would do is separate Social Security from the general fund.

Actually, one should look at SS as supplementary income to help you survive instead of basic income to live off of.

My advice--The moment you are able to take out out SS, take it out now. It is not going to increase by refusing it and you already paid for it.

That advice for anyone--regardless if you are rich or poor. That, in theory, IS your money.

That's not my point.

The government takes 15% of your lifetime income and gives you nothing in return.

If people had that money under their control and over the course of a working lifetime (45 years or so) saved that money at a modest rate of return they would be able to retire with a much much higher monthly income than SS provides.

The question is why do you people want the government to deny you a financially secure retirement?

That is your opinion, but you have no evidence. Reform? Simple. Premiums on the first $250,000 of earnings and retirement three years later for the 45 and under group and a lock box on those taxes. End of story.

SS is just a welfare program paid from current revenues.

There ain't no lockbox.

Obama is TURNING SS into welfare by stealing the premiums and proposing to raise the caps on higher earners. Because now that it's running in deficit every year 47% of taxpayers pay NOTHING to fund the SS shortfalls. It's clever redistribution of the finest order. There is nothing of value in the lockbox -- thus only Federal INCOME tax payers cover the shortfall.

It wasn't INTENDED as welfare, shouldn't be considered welfare, but perhaps the Dems are right that we should transition it to a means-tested welfare program instead of UNIVERSAL coverage. FDR will punish them for that.... And I will never trust the Feds to manage ANY UNIVERSAL program ever again...

That is your opinion, but you have no evidence. Reform? Simple. Premiums on the first $250,000 of earnings and retirement three years later for the 45 and under group and a lock box on those taxes. End of story.

Re-read that post and show WHAT EXACTLY is opinion Jakey...

Especially the part about Obama STEALING from the already stressed premiums.. Or the fact that there's nothing of value in the "trust fund".. Are THOSE opinion????

Lemme get this straight. You assert that SS is NOT welfare.. I back you up on that statement.. And then YOU propose raising the salary cap to 250,000 dollars ----- thus making the program into a welfare transfer.. Are you OK Jake?

Last edited:
The "stealing" began with the change of law in the sixties, and both parties have done it ever since. Legally.

Progressive taxation is "welfare" transfer? Really?

See, you give opinions and pretend they are facts. They are not.

First, the average Social Security allotment is not sufficient by itself to facilitate a fully accommodated lifestyle which includes such standard comforts as cable tv, phone, auto, etc. But while it can provide adequate but minimal shelter and/or offset the kind of destitute starvation which affected millions of penniless seniors during the Great Depression it typically serves as a necessary supplement to the average retiree's pension, savings, and/or portfolio, thus sustaining a reasonably comfortable existence (as in my own example).

The increasingly popular notion that Social Security is "bankrupt" and will not be available to the current generation when they retire derives mainly from propaganda put forth by corporate interests and is motivated by the fact that corporations resent paying their share (50%) of their employees Social Security contributions, and because the financial sector of the emerging corporatocracy is yearning to get its hands on a privatized version of the program.

The propaganda is effective with workers below age fifty because almost no one below that age level really believes they ever will grow old enough to collect Social Security. They might have some vague supposition along those lines but they really don't believe it and that is a simple quirk of human nature. (I didn't believe I was getting old until I reached my mid-50s and started losing my hair and teeth -- among other things).

The real experts, i.e., those who administer and understand the program, have repeatedly assured the working public that Social Security is perfectly sound and with some simple adjustments will continue to serve its benevolent purpose into the foreseeable future.

Forum List

Back