Germany's solar experiment collapses. $$$ down the drain.

Discussion in 'Environment' started by tinydancer, Feb 23, 2012.

1. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,066
    Wow. "Green" appears to be coming apart at the seams. And a disclaimer. I do believe in trying to integrate green energy with our standard energy supplies.

But when you get government involved in projects and let alone when one allows a government to throw billions and billions of taxpayers money at projects that could never meet the "dream standards" of green green green, they are bound to be doomed.

Governments always screw things up.

Germany's solar experiment collapses

Bjørn Lomborg, Financial Post · Feb. 22, 2012 | Last Updated: Feb. 22, 2012 5:19 AM ET

Germany once prided itself on being the "photovoltaic world champion," doling out generous subsidies - totalling more than US$130-billion, according to research from Germany's Ruhr University - to citizens to invest in solar energy.

But now the German government is vowing to cut the subsidies sooner than planned, and to phase out support over the next five years. What went wrong?

According to Der Spiegel, even members of Chancellor Angela Merkel's staff are now describing the policy as a massive money pit.

Philipp Rösler, Germany's Minister of Economics and Technology, has called the spiralling solar subsidies a "threat to the economy."

- Bjørn Lomborg is the author of The Skeptical Environmentalist.
    Tools

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Staidhup

Staidhup Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Moral of the story, open free markets are created by supply, demand, and cost benefits. The market directed by the demand for low cost energy dictates development, not fads, not government mandate. Government interference in supply and development disrupts markets resulting in higher consumer expense, and market contraction.

3. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Why do some take pride and glee in failures to replace fossil fuel?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    It's no failure.
    Germany subsidizes home-owners to put solar-panels onto their roof.
    Last year homeowners used subsidies twice the amount Finance Ministry planned to grant. It's a good investement in these times of economic uncertainty to build these panels and sell the electricity to the State.

They're now cutting back on the subsidies and the price the state will buy the excess electricity you don't use.
    But the generated electricity from solar-panels is still cheaper than what you would've to pay to an electricity company.
    State will buy excess energy for around 20 cent from now on, electricity company sells you electricity for about 26 cent.
    It still makes sense for solely personal use, but it isn't a good investment anymore for people "who want to sell electricity" as an income return.

5. CaughtInTheMid

CaughtInTheMid Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80
    at some point in the future, people are gonna look back at this period and laugh about how much work we had to do to get fuel out of the ground (and how much international power certain countries had) when the power from the sun pounds down on us for free virtually every day.

i'll be glad when some current 7th grader solves the solar power issue.

6. ekrem

ekrem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Markets care only for money.
    If Germany decides to "exit" solar-energy then only because of Germany's climate. They'll put the money from unproductive solar-energy into other renewable-tech which more suits Germany.
    They subsidized everything with "watering-can"-principle.

7. tinydancer

tinydancer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,066
    I'm not gleeful. The author of the piece isn't gleeful. The German government isn't gleeful.

I'd like a sane and tactical approach to converting to as many renewable energy forms as possible.

But all we have witnessed in various governments rush to be the "greenest" is epic failure and monumental waste of tax dollars.

All for egos. The gentleman in particular who wrote this article does believe in climate change but the world isn't ending tomorrow and we can tackle these climate issues in a sane and rational manner.

But that hasn't been happening has it?

8. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    where do you see that in her OP?

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    He/she will create cure for stupidity?

10. Trajan

Trajan conscientia mille testes

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,756
    you are challenged. for them to make such a pronouncement, is, well, immense.

next- the sate subsidizing a private home owner, who cannot solely power their home and still needs electricity form other sources.

in the mean time, the homeowner still has to pay off his portion of the money he spent to put them on his home. I had a solar co. spec. my home, even with massive subsidies I would still cost me over 14K.

My year to year saving on what the solar panels would provide means it would take me 16 years to realize the cost of my outlay back, that is how long it would take the panels t pay themselves off. That is a HORRIBLE investment.