Germany Is Trying To Forget Their History

Why would anyone want a monument to death?
The Germans are trying to achieve a unified country. Why would they want a monument that symbolizes the differences? It's like trying to make a museum out of Dachau and Buchenwald.
A smaller marker or memorial would be better. But I believe it would be better to allow the German people to do what they want.

Of course, I view this as someone with strong German heritage. My mom was the first person on her side of the family to be born outside of Germany.
I am pretty sure that the Germans do not need more reminders of their past.

Gabriella84 said:
The Germans are trying to achieve a unified country. Why would they want a monument that symbolizes the differences? It's like trying to make a museum out of Dachau and Buchenwald.
A smaller marker or memorial would be better. But I believe it would be better to allow the German people to do what they want.

Of course, I view this as someone with strong German heritage. My mom was the first person on her side of the family to be born outside of Germany.

As -=d=- would say "Wow. Just wow".

Of course, I veiw this as someone with a strong German heritage too, and the idea is to never forget and to prevent people from becoming desensitized to the realities of war. Something I thought you felt strongly about since you constantly mention all the protesting you've done. But of course, the Germans can do what they want. :rolleyes:

Gabriella84 said:

Gabby did you read it? It's by GERMANS! You really do need to work on being more open minded to other points of view.

I did read it. The thing is, I've never lived in a country where major wars have been fought on my soil. Or where I had to overcome the tyranny of communism.
I am sure the German government is not doing this unilaterially. If the authors of the piece want to protest what is happening, more power to them. Democracy gives you the freedom to protest things that you object to. Too bad most Republicans do not understand this basic liberty.

Gabriella84 said:
I did read it. The thing is, I've never lived in a country where major wars have been fought on my soil. Or where I had to overcome the tyranny of communism.
I am sure the German government is not doing this unilaterially. If the authors of the piece want to protest what is happening, more power to them. Democracy gives you the freedom to protest things that you object to. Too bad most Republicans do not understand this basic liberty.

The Republicans protested at the polls in 2000 and 2004. They just happen to have better ideas to replace the ideas that they are protesting against. Others just whine about anything remotely conservative and call it protesting.

Unlike 2000, no one is protesting the outcome of the 2004 election. It was decided by the people, as opposed to the Supreme Court "election" in 2000.

Gabriella84 said:
Unlike 2000, no one is protesting the outcome of the 2004 election. It was decided by the people, as opposed to the Supreme Court "election" in 2000.
you missed it

Republicans protest by voting in people who they think have better ideas---you, however, just whine.

Gabriella84 said:
I've never lived in a country where major wars have been fought on my soil.
I am sure that the descendants of the 660,000 men, women, and children that died as a result of the war that raged all across the United States during the years 1861-65 would be disgusted by such an ill-informed statement.

DOH!! We are not discussing Civil Wars here.
We are talking one or more nations fighting war against foreign enemies. Even you should have been able to figure that one out.

Gabriella84 said:
DOH!! We are not discussing Civil Wars here.
We are talking one or more nations fighting war against foreign enemies. Even you should have been able to figure that one out.
Even me? Your idiotic statement was: "I've never lived in a country where major wars have been fought on my soil." That is patently false and displays gross insensitivity, like many of your remarks. For example, your statements: "It's like trying to make a museum out of Dachau and Buchenwald," and "I am pretty sure that the Germans do not need more reminders of their past," are so insensitive to the horror of 20th century German behavior that they are beneath contempt. But then you "never lived in a country where major wars have been fought on my soil." Maybe the millions of Jews and others murdered by the Germans "do not need more reminders of their past."

Gabriella84 said:
Gabby, don't think you did read it, as you are at Berkely, one assumes you have a reasonable ability of comprehension, the post was not at all about a hot war. D'oh! It's what happened during a 'Cold War'-it's what actually happens under tyranny, from left or right.

Kathianne said:
Gabby, don't think you did read it, as you are at Berkely, one assumes you have a reasonable ability of comprehension, the post was not at all about a hot war. D'oh! It's what happened during a 'Cold War'-it's what actually happens under tyranny, from left or right.

Considering she was probably all of what, 5 when the the wall came down, I would expect her to not understand the significance, but many her age do. I guess their just dumb conservatives. I suppose everyone should get rid of all monuments, who wants to remember ugly history. :confused:

Said1 said:
Considering she was probably all of what, 5 when the the wall came down, I would expect her to not understand the significance, but many her age do. I guess their just dumb conservatives. I suppose everyone should get rid of all monuments, who wants to remember ugly history. :confused:

I doubt it has as much to do with her age, as being evidence of a serious problem from the left, a refusal to even expose themselves to any possibility there may be more than their way of analyzing the world. In Gabby's case, she accuses the Right of only following certain 'voices', yet I and many others frequently do read and cite Al Jazeera, NYTimes, Asia News, The Guardian, etc.

So far from her? Seymour Hersh: http://www.politicalmusings.net/archives/2004/05/18/seymour-hersh/

Lots of links. ;)

Kathianne said:
I doubt it has as much to do with her age, as being evidence of a serious problem from the left, a refusal to even expose themselves to any possibility there may be more than their way of analyzing the world. In Gabby's case, she accuses the Right of only following certain 'voices', yet I and many others frequently do read and cite Al Jazeera, NYTimes, Asia News, The Guardian, etc.

So far from her? Seymour Hersh: http://www.politicalmusings.net/archives/2004/05/18/seymour-hersh/

Lots of links. ;)

My point exactly.

I think you are mistaken with Seymour Hersh. His name is actually Seymour Ass. :moon4:

Said1 said:
My point exactly.

I think you are mistaken with Seymour Hersh. His name is actually Seymour Ass. :moon4:

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Kathianne said:
http://medienkritik.typepad.com/blog/2005/06/berlin_outrage_.html

Seems Berlin is going to remove the Checkpoint Charlie Memorial and the crosses that carry the names of those that died trying to escape to freedom in the West. Oh, did I mention that the Communist Party is one of the two ruling parties in Berlin? :huh:
No worries---the Jews will never let them or the rest of the world what happened there. I think some folks who had nothing to do with went on 60 years ago are a bit tired of having this albatross hung around thier necks.

dilloduck said:
No worries---the Jews will never let them or the rest of the world what happened there. I think some folks who had nothing to do with went on 60 years ago are a bit tired of having this albatross hung around thier necks.
And exactly what do the Jews have to do with a Cold War Memorial?

dilloduck said:
I believe that many Jews were still being persecuted by the communists during the cold war.

And that has what to do with Checkpoint Charlie? I mean the Jews throwing albatrosses or God knows what?

Forum List

Back