Germany Is Trying To Forget Their History

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Annie, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
  2. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Why would anyone want a monument to death?
    The Germans are trying to achieve a unified country. Why would they want a monument that symbolizes the differences? It's like trying to make a museum out of Dachau and Buchenwald.
    A smaller marker or memorial would be better. But I believe it would be better to allow the German people to do what they want.

Of course, I view this as someone with strong German heritage. My mom was the first person on her side of the family to be born outside of Germany.
    I am pretty sure that the Germans do not need more reminders of their past.

3. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    As -=d=- would say "Wow. Just wow".

Of course, I veiw this as someone with a strong German heritage too, and the idea is to never forget and to prevent people from becoming desensitized to the realities of war. Something I thought you felt strongly about since you constantly mention all the protesting you've done. But of course, the Germans can do what they want. :rolleyes:

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Gabby did you read it? It's by GERMANS! You really do need to work on being more open minded to other points of view.

5. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I did read it. The thing is, I've never lived in a country where major wars have been fought on my soil. Or where I had to overcome the tyranny of communism.
    I am sure the German government is not doing this unilaterially. If the authors of the piece want to protest what is happening, more power to them. Democracy gives you the freedom to protest things that you object to. Too bad most Republicans do not understand this basic liberty.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The Republicans protested at the polls in 2000 and 2004. They just happen to have better ideas to replace the ideas that they are protesting against. Others just whine about anything remotely conservative and call it protesting.

7. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Unlike 2000, no one is protesting the outcome of the 2004 election. It was decided by the people, as opposed to the Supreme Court "election" in 2000.

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    you missed it

Republicans protest by voting in people who they think have better ideas---you, however, just whine.

9. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I am sure that the descendants of the 660,000 men, women, and children that died as a result of the war that raged all across the United States during the years 1861-65 would be disgusted by such an ill-informed statement.

10. Gabriella84

Gabriella84 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    DOH!! We are not discussing Civil Wars here.
    We are talking one or more nations fighting war against foreign enemies. Even you should have been able to figure that one out.