George Smith Patton Jr.

Sep 12, 2008
I found a copy of The Patton Papers at the library recently. I commend them to your attention.

Patton had a huge correspondence and kept an extensive diary. The Patton Papers are his collected letters and diaries from 1940-1945. Like Sherman's memoirs and letters, They make interesting and sometimes disturbing reading. They are also very entertaining, and sort of lend credence to the notion that greatness is a form of psychosis.

Patton was not quite the nut he was portrayed in the movie. Nor was he quite so politicly clueless. He liked to play up his bad reputation sometimes in order to achieve results, despite being quite different in his real personality.

He could be very petty. His letters to his wife and his diary entries have comments about Eisenhower (Mr Destinity in the letters) and Bradley (The Tentmaker) that show his degree of frustration. He was also smart enough to note that those guys had the jobs they did and not him because they were better at it.

Because he had a reputation for calling a spade a spade and not being nice, he got away with being quite a smarmy bastard. He wrote lots of thank you notes where he laid it on with a steam shovel. Lots of them. To darn near everyone.

Third Army was the most integrated. Patton moaned about the intellectual capacity of Jews and Blacks, but he was the only one that used them in large numbers.

Men, you're the first Negro tankers to ever fight in the American Army. I would never have asked for you if you weren't good. I have nothing but the best in my Army. I don't care what color you are as long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sons of bitches. Everyone has their eyes on you and is expecting great things from you. Most of all your race is looking forward to your success. Don't let them down and damn you, don't let me down

Patton made a point of being theatrical, but he also made other points that were more important. He was tyrannical about health and sanitation, led from as close to the front as was possible, maintained cordial relations with the other services (Patton had a pilot's licence and a major part of 3rd Army's success was its integration with Army air. During the Sicily campaign his good relations with the navy saved his bacon on a couple occasions)

I commend this book as an interesting read and containing lessons that are well worth learning.

Patton was our best fighting General

But he was one of our worst strategic Generals

Had Patton and Bradley switched jobs, the US and Brits would have been in Berlin no later than March 1945.

He said that Ike would run for President.

And he said the Russians were the real enemy

And he was right

how so?

He knew how to win a battle

He didn't understand or didn't care about the political aspects of fighting an Allied war and the geopolitical situation. He was also too egotistical to fight in a combined force (Did not play well with others). Ike was the best man for the job

how so?

He didn't understand or didn't care about the political aspects of fighting an Allied war and the geopolitical situation. He was also too egotistical to fight in a combined force (Did not play well with others). Ike was the best man for the job

then use a different term, strategy is not appropriate. He didn't have Ikes job...:eusa_eh:

did yo read MB post?

Nor was he quite so politicly clueless.

I agree I read Faregos (sp) book way back. he liked to make a big show and bitch.

BUT, he was VERY strategically astute.

then use a different term, strategy is not appropriate. He didn't have Ikes job...:eusa_eh:

did yo read MB post?

I agree I read Faregos (sp) book way back. he liked to make a big show and bitch.

I am talking strategic as in understanding the big picture

The big picture was that we were fighting as an allied force, Patton was not the only General fighting the war and the Soviets were the 800 lb gorilla in the room

America is a great Country. People are free to rely on Hollywood for their historic viewpoints but the truth is always a book or a click away. What if George C. Scott played MacArthur and Gregory Peck played Patton in the movies? Would it influence the Pop-Culture's superficial assessment of the historical figures? You betcha. Hollywood is an illusion.

did yo read MB post?

I am talking strategic as in understanding the big picture

The big picture was that we were fighting as an allied force, Patton was not the only General fighting the war and the Soviets were the 800 lb gorilla in the room

he understood enough to know that the allies were screwing up their Mediterranean approach and continued too ala, the brits in Greece, the Sicilian venture ( as to the invasion sites) Italy etc etc

The slapping of an elisted man was General Patton's downfall. No matter how skillful or aggressive or successful Patton was he will allways be judged by that act. Any other general would have been sent home packing but why not Patton? He was so damned good. General George Patton is just a footnote in history promoted by the people who want to focus on issues other than the slaughter.. The well publicized "surprise" of the Normandy landings in June led to almost 40,000 Allied Troops killed in action by August.

America is a great Country. People are free to rely on Hollywood for their historic viewpoints but the truth is always a book or a click away. What if George C. Scott played MacArthur and Gregory Peck played Patton in the movies? Would it influence the Pop-Culture's superficial assessment of the historical figures? You betcha. Hollywood is an illusion.

Wash your mouth out...if wasn't for Hollywood and television I wouldn't have no learning at all!!!!

Given all his theatrics about Montgomery, (Mostly due to squabbles over gasoline) they got along well. Patton whined when Montgomery shot down his original plan for Torch, but admitted the final plan was a lot better than the original.

The book is pretty fun, and shoots down a lot of preconceived notions.

Forum List

Back