George H.W. Bush leaves mixed record on race, civil rights

LilOlLady

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2009
Reno, NV
Early in George H.W. Bush’s political career, when he was running for a U.S. Senate seat in Texas, he came out against the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, deriding his opponent as “radical” for supporting the bill that ended segregation in public places and banned employment discrimination.

“The new civil-rights act was passed to protect 14 percent of the people,” he said. “I’m also worried about the other 86 percent.”

The stand seemed at odds with his family’s long history of supporting civil rights (his father, Prescott Bush, a Connecticut senator had worked to desegregate schools and protect voting rights) and with his own work raising money for the United Negro College Fund.

But in Texas, where the Republican party was steadily becoming more conservative and embracing the Southern Strategy of appealing to white voters, Bush’s position made sense.

Folks aren't just focusing on whatever good a public person does these days when they pass, they look at the totality.

As for me, my mother always told me that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all.

Folks aren't just focusing on whatever good a public person does these days when they pass, they look at the totality.

As for me, my mother always told me that if you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all.

Not really one for listening to your mom, are ya?

:abgg2q.jpg:

Is she the one who taught you to be racist?

Early in George H.W. Bush’s political career, when he was running for a U.S. Senate seat in Texas, he came out against the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, deriding his opponent as “radical” for supporting the bill that ended segregation in public places and banned employment discrimination.

“The new civil-rights act was passed to protect 14 percent of the people,” he said. “I’m also worried about the other 86 percent.”

The stand seemed at odds with his family’s long history of supporting civil rights (his father, Prescott Bush, a Connecticut senator had worked to desegregate schools and protect voting rights) and with his own work raising money for the United Negro College Fund.

But in Texas, where the Republican party was steadily becoming more conservative and embracing the Southern Strategy of appealing to white voters, Bush’s position made sense.
HW Bush came from a family of privilege, but he was very good at concealing his patrician arrogance when he was in the spotlight:

"George HW Bush thought the world belonged to his family. How wrong he was...."

George HW Bush thought the world belonged to his family. How wrong he was | Ariel Dorfman

"I was on our private terrace, overlooking Sydney Bay, doing some warm-up yoga exercises, so close to the water I could almost touch it, when who should pop into view, two or three yards away, just below me on the esplanade separating the hotel from the sea, but Poppy himself, walking briskly towards the city skyline.

"He was casually dressed, as if about to play golf, and surrounded by a sizeable entourage – some muscled security heavies, some suited confederates, perhaps a secretary or two, all of them quietly obsequious, all of them situated at a prudent distance, respectful of an invisible protective boundary that isolated the politician who had once been the most powerful person on Earth.

"Closest to Bush, half a step behind him, was a bulky, crew-cut military man, with so many medals on his uniform that it was a miracle he wasn’t sagging from the burden.

"A general, at least, I thought.

"Suddenly, the former president lifted his right arm into the air, his fingers extended backward, snapping them without, however, deigning to look at the man behind him.

"The officer reacted with celerity, producing, seemingly out of nowhere, a tube that he deposited in his master’s hand.

"It turned out to be a sun tan lotion, as George Senior, without losing his stride and definitely without thanking the aide, began to lavishly apply it to his exposed forearms and neck."

If everyone followed your mother’s advice, no one would ever talk to you. :)

Don't you think people are going overboard because they are taking jabs at Trump.

The preacher used these words today:

Integrity
Kindness
Heroism
Courage
Excellance
Service
Intellect
Humility
Civility
Spirituality

Every single one was a slap in the face to Trump.

How do I know? Trump is the biggest narcissist in the world. He assumes, without a second thought, that every word spoke and every thought is about him. And he knows that not one of those words applies to him.

Don't you think people are going overboard because they are taking jabs at Trump.

The preacher used these words today:

Integrity
Kindness
Heroism
Courage
Excellance
Service
Intellect
Humility
Civility
Spirituality

Every single one was a slap in the face to Trump.

How do I know? Trump is the biggest narcissist in the world. He assumes, without a second thought, that every word spoke and every thought is about him. And he knows that not one of those words applies to him.
I do not think it's going overboard.

It's warranted.

Yeah, I admit I don't like this SANITIZATION of his record. I thought he was a nice man. Absolutely the most qualified man on paper of any candidate in American history. I almost voted for him. But as someone who lived with a woman who had experienced EVERY slight, disregard, attempt to shock and be humiliated in the workplace, and who felt punched in the gut by the Clarence Thomas nomination, I was forced to take it seriously. The BOYS CLUB shoved him through and I feel sure she never forgave him. I thought about it time and time again last month when 30 years later, the same legislative boys club did it again. (FUCK YOU WOMEN, YOU DON'T MATTER. Once again they were delivered the message loud and clear).

My other big issue with Bush, which of course us regular folks didn't know about at the time, turned out to be LEE ATWATER. Really easy to be 'the nice guy' when you hire a VILE IMMORAL piece of shit political operative to do all your dirty work. Sr. had Atwater. Jr. had Karl Rove.

Like father, like son.

The Willie Horton attack ad is among the more reprehensible manifestations of rightwing/Republican hate, fearmongering, and racism.

“The tributes to former President George Bush in recent days have focused on his essential decency and civility, and his embrace of others, including even his onetime opponents. But the “last gentleman,” as he has been called, was not always so gentle.

Mr. Bush’s successful campaign for the presidency in 1988 was marked in part by the racially charged politics of crime that continues to reverberate to this day. The Willie Horton episode and the political advertising that came to epitomize it remain among the most controversial chapters in modern politics, a precursor to campaigns to come and a decisive force that influenced criminal justice policy for decades.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bush-made-willie-horton-an-issue-and-for-african-americans-the-scars-are-still-fresh/ar-BBQs6IE

The Willie Horton attack ad is among the more reprehensible manifestations of rightwing/Republican hate, fearmongering, and racism.

“The tributes to former President George Bush in recent days have focused on his essential decency and civility, and his embrace of others, including even his onetime opponents. But the “last gentleman,” as he has been called, was not always so gentle.

Mr. Bush’s successful campaign for the presidency in 1988 was marked in part by the racially charged politics of crime that continues to reverberate to this day. The Willie Horton episode and the political advertising that came to epitomize it remain among the most controversial chapters in modern politics, a precursor to campaigns to come and a decisive force that influenced criminal justice policy for decades.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bush-made-willie-horton-an-issue-and-for-african-americans-the-scars-are-still-fresh/ar-BBQs6IE
The Willie Horton angle was initiated by none other than Al Gore, dunce.

There are damn few people in public service who were around as long as Bush that doesn't have a mixed record on race. This speaks more to the changes in our culture than to the character of the man.

And when LEE ATWATER was on his death bed, dying of disfiguring brain cancer, he called Michael Dukakis to apologize for that ad. Too little, too late.

01ahw+bush+atwater.jpg

There are damn few people in public service who were around as long as Bush that doesn't have a mixed record on race. This speaks more to the changes in our culture than to the character of the man.
Disagree.

The ‘a man of his time’ excuse has been long discredited.

The majority of Bush’s career took place well after racism and bigotry were condemned by the courts, as a matter of political practice, and by society in general.

The racist demagoguery employed by Bush during his 1988 presidential campaign was clearly during a time when such racism was perceived to be wrong and reprehensible – and Bush must ultimately take responsibility.

It’s understood that in the age of Trump Americans are desperate for a president and leaders with honor and character – but Americans mustn’t let that desperation blind them to the fact that many politicians don’t merit such respect, among them GHWB.

He's not being deified but specifically his NICENESS and CIVILITY has been used ad nauseum Over and over and over. We're pointing out an 'inconvenient truth'!

I think it is safe to say that JR used the same methods. Ask JOHN MC CAIN's WIFE. No one is allowed to say Karl Rove in Cindy's presence. Don't know the connection between Atwater and Rove? I suggest you start typing.

Bush Made Willie Horton an Issue in 1988, and the Racial Scars Are Still Fresh
How Bush’s 1988 Campaign Ushered in a New Era of Racial Politics

By Nilo Tabrizy
An attack ad made by George Bush’s supporters for his 1988 presidential campaign is infamous for stoking racial fears. The ad served as a precursor to the racially charged politics of today.Published OnDec. 4, 2018CreditCreditJim Wilson/The New York Times
By Peter Baker

• Dec. 3, 2018WASHINGTON — The tributes to former President George Bush in recent days have focused on his essential decency and civility, and his embrace of others, including even his onetime opponents. But the “last gentleman,” as he has been called, was not always so gentle.
Mr. Bush’s successful campaign for the presidency in 1988 was marked in part by the racially charged politics of crime that continues to reverberate to this day. The Willie Horton episode and the political advertising that came to epitomize it remain among the most controversial chapters in modern politics, a precursor to campaigns to come and a decisive force that influenced criminal justice policy for decades.

Mr. Horton was an African-American prisoner in Massachusetts who, while released on a furlough program, raped a white Maryland woman and bound and stabbed her boyfriend. Mr. Bush’s campaign and....

Bush Made Willie Horton an Issue in 1988, and the Racial Scars Are Still Fresh

Last edited:

The Willie Horton angle was initiated by none other than Al Gore, dunce.

NO IT WASN'T! Gore mentioned NO NAME but he did take exception to the weekend furlough program. Now if you find that Gore, not ATWATER put a name to it, a face and a COLOR, then had the ad made, put it up and paid for it, get back to us!

Surely even YOU can understand the difference.

The first person to mention the Massachusetts furlough program in the 1988 presidential campaign was Al Gore. During a debate before the New York primary, Gore took issue with the furlough program. However, he did not specifically mention the Horton incident or even his name, instead asking a general question about the Massachusetts furlough program.[11]

trumps-willie-horton-moment-1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum List

Back