Gatlinburg, TN on Fire

They decided to become Kentuckians...
im still waiting for al gore to blame these fires on global cooling

Or Jerry Falwell blame it on queers having honeymoons there.
There is a lot of friction if lube is not used, and you know it always isn't...
i dont get it,,,isnt it freezing in Tennesseee" are fires burning in 30 degree weather?
It was cold early in the week, but today we had a high of 68. By Thursday the low will be in the 20s.
the 20's? isnt that when we lick the trees?

im still waiting for al gore to blame these fires on global cooling

Or Jerry Falwell blame it on queers having honeymoons there.
There is a lot of friction if lube is not used, and you know it always isn't...
i dont get it,,,isnt it freezing in Tennesseee" are fires burning in 30 degree weather?
It was cold early in the week, but today we had a high of 68. By Thursday the low will be in the 20s.
the 20's? isnt that when we lick the trees?
Nope......the flagpoles.

In breaking news, a fire in Gatlinburg, TN has spread to the city. Major evacuations are taking place as wind-whipped fires have spread through the downtown area of the city.
The picturesque town, located in the Great Smokey Mountains, best known as the location of Dollywood, has suffered from drought during the late summer and fall which has contributed to the conflagration.
Here is a link to a live feed:

Sorry, but you're full of crap.
The reason for the fire is because we had so much rain through August that the undergrowth has grown extremely high, around 3 feet. When the usual dry spell arrived in September all of that green growth turned brown and was just waiting for somebody or some thing to set it on fire.

We had no drought this Summer. Rainfall was higher than normal this year. The drought was caused by the usual lack of rain we get here in TN at the end of Summer. It happens every year in August, but this year it waited till almost the end of September.

c3101614b2494e0e1613e2fb01fdc67a.png

Home | U.S Drought Portal

OK, Mud, sure. LOL

Its been raining a good deal this morning where I am in east Tennessee. May the devastation be getting what is needed.

God bless you and everyone there always!!!

Holly

The Park rangers no longer let people take out fallen wood for camp fires and the like any more.

I hike through a park here where I live and it is just covered on the ground with fallen trees that are just laying there rotting and make excellent tender for any future fire.

A 'drought' is entirely unnecessary.
Healthy forests burn periodically and clean all the deadwood out. When idiots manage forests, they put out every little spark instead of letting the forest take care of itself.

The storm hit my area in the middle of the night and it is still raining ... very badly needed. I got jolted out of bed by one huge thunder boomer and retreated to the sofa so slept in late and haven't heard the latest news. We had some wildfires in my area a few weeks ago ... but nothing like what is happening at Gatlinburg. This fire is just horrific ... it's the only word I can think of. Having been through an apartment fire many years ago I can certainly appreciate how devastating this is for those people.

Too much moonshine #70. You forget that beetles are eating the trees in the West as they move toward the Canadian Maritimes. Yes, they have been coming your way for decades, and you haven't read the first piece of history about the CCC.

The Park rangers no longer let people take out fallen wood for camp fires and the like any more.

I hike through a park here where I live and it is just covered on the ground with fallen trees that are just laying there rotting and make excellent tender for any future fire.

A 'drought' is entirely unnecessary.
Healthy forests burn periodically and clean all the deadwood out. When idiots manage forests, they put out every little spark instead of letting the forest take care of itself.
Do the park rangers conduct controlled burns EVER?

Right now in my area the rained has stopped, but it rained for about 12 hours before it quit. If that is all that we get, may it be enough for where the fires are.

God bless you and everyone who is there always!!!

Holly

cant believe this is happening...cant believe workers left the animals........what a fucking mess.....rain is here finally...that is all we can hope for at this point...rain
What I hear, is that Ripleys told most of its employees to leave, but many refused to go. At last report, the Aquarium is ok, so the penguins are safe, lots of fancy doctors at the aquarium now, monitoring everything.
they released a statement yesterday that said the fire only got 50 feet from them. But they had everything under control if it got them.

How did the fire start?
Not sure if that has been established conclusively yet. There have been fires burning in East Tennessee for the better part of a week in various locations, some of which appear to be arson. Dry conditions, uncleared ground cover, electrical storms & high winds contributed to the big fire in the Gatlinburg area.
Suspect we will have to wait until the fires are under control before the actual cause can be ascertained.
CNN released a report that said it was human caused. And a few people have been arrested for starting fires. One guy form Alabama got caught in perry county starting wildfires!! Perry County is west/middle TN a few hours from Gatlinburg. Crazy

Forum List

Back