Gatlinburg, TN on Fire

i watch one on youtube being uploaded to the cloud that suddenly stops...they just kept driving into the fire....chateau something...a bunch of cabins on fire...

it is raining here.....i hope the rains keep up

Bones (or anyone else) if you can pick up the CW channel it looks like they're going to have continuing coverage for awhile. One good piece of news so far is that the Dollywood crews got called in last night and managed to get some 50 American Eagles and other birds evacuated safely last night and were going back in to try to get the remaining 30 birds out of the bird sanctuary. If you know where Rt. 331 is there was an explosion at a NAPA store that jumped the road and they said that area is unrecognizable. Rain is moving out here - I'm about 45 minutes away.

no cw live.....caught some of it on today show but that was yesterday....

if the spur is on fire....it just moves both ways from there....the spur being the tunnel area

Hell's bells ... my daughter from Richmond just called and asked if she needed to fly me out of here ... three times ... a little bit louder each time ... reminding me I'm about 30 miles away. After three "no's" I finally said I could get out of here all by myself, it would take me longer, but I could get on I-75 and go north. No. The damned airport is at Maryville and I'd be headed into the fire ... not to mention being groped, poked, x-rayed and/or whatever else it is they do before you can board a plane these days. If I have to be groped and poked it'll be on my terms and not with a stranger.

I think the Rt. 133 thing might be reporter error ... 441 is closed. Saw one report of a man who's looking for his wife and two daughters - their house has been destroyed and the shelters are saying they don't have them. He was in tears - not sure but I think he had his sons with him and wasn't at home when their neighborhood went up in flames.

Just heard a few people have been moved from UT to the burn center at Vanderbilt but no deaths reported yet.

cant believe this is happening...cant believe workers left the animals........what a fucking mess.....rain is here finally...that is all we can hope for at this point...rain
What I hear, is that Ripleys told most of its employees to leave, but many refused to go. At last report, the Aquarium is ok, so the penguins are safe, lots of fancy doctors at the aquarium now, monitoring everything.

According to this report from the Clarion-Ledger, 3 are dead as a result of the fires in and around the Gatlinburg, TN area.
Thousands have been evacuated as the wind-driven storms destroyed more than 150 homes. TEMA reports taking 3 burn victims, in critical condition, to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville for treatment, about a dozen others were treated locally for fire related injuries.
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...1/29/tennessee-wildfires-gatlinburg/94591254/

Last edited:
I am only 30-45 miles away from there and so its all over the news where I am. Go here to learn about how you can help with the relief effort. I was just there a month and a half ago to see the guy in my signature picture. May the area be salvaged and made better than ever soon!

God bless you and him and every impacted family always!!!

Holly

saying the fire got the chair lift..that is downtown....every redneck in the south goes to g town....it is our mecca
Where the wife picked for the honeymoon....posted our dollar on the wall in the restaurant that was papered with em.....forget the name...According to the helo pilot lot of out of towners own most of the real estate in the hills

Last edited:
How did the fire start?
Not sure if that has been established conclusively yet. There have been fires burning in East Tennessee for the better part of a week in various locations, some of which appear to be arson. Dry conditions, uncleared ground cover, electrical storms & high winds contributed to the big fire in the Gatlinburg area.
Suspect we will have to wait until the fires are under control before the actual cause can be ascertained.

Half of the fires have been started via arson.

Your public lands *agents* preserving those lands for ya.

looks like nature is doing what the great General Sherman didn't get to finish

Fuck you, asshole! You want to dislike someone's politics or whatever, that is fine. But people and animals are dying out there. And entire community has been destroyed. Countless families are homeless and have lost everything (not all of which can be replaced). And you want to take the time to badmouth the south?? I mean, there are assholes and there are ASSHOLES. You qualify as the latter.

But if you want to feel so smug, go right ahead. But this southerner would be happy to match intellect or wits with you any fucking time.

Fuck you, asshole! You want to dislike someone's politics or whatever, that is fine. But people and animals are dying out there. And entire community has been destroyed. Countless families are homeless and have lost everything (not all of which can be replaced). And you want to take the time to badmouth the south?? I mean, there are assholes and there are ASSHOLES. You qualify as the latter.

But if you want to feel so smug, go right ahead. But this southerner would be happy to match intellect or wits with you any fucking time.
It's pigs like guano who are setting those fires.

Three people dead so far.

He thinks it's great.

Get rid of the Dept. of the Interior. Hang the usfws, epa and bureau of land management *agents* if they don't clear out.

I haven't heard anything about arson anywhere. We have been in drought conditions for a good while now. 15,000 acres of GSM National Park burned and perhaps it was the high winds that caused the fire to jump the road and start burning elsewhere in Sevier County. People don't live in the National Park and I don't know if there's a cut-off time for camping there. More rain coming out of northern Mississippi should reach here tonight with high winds before the rain so the area is still not out of danger. This is not a funny matter - it's serious.

Guno, are you a natural-born jackass or do have to practice in front of the mirror every morning?

But this southerner would be happy to match intellect or wits with you any fucking time.
WB, you are presuming that Guno has intellect or wits, after a post like that, I doubt he has either...

I haven't heard anything about arson anywhere.
Perhaps not in the immediate Gatlinburg area, but a man has been arrested for starting a 300 acre fire in the nearby Cherokee Forest:
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...1/29/tennessee-wildfires-gatlinburg/94591254/

Governor Haslam has vowed to prosecute wildfire arsonists in Tennessee, so it may be more widespread than you think, Granny.
Haslam vows pursuit of Tennessee wildfire arsonists

For myself, I hope that the end of this terrible event is in sight for you all.

Forum List

Back