Gas Price Perspective

-=d=- said:
........Ethically, I couldn't sleep at night knowing i'm causing 'the little people' hundreds (and thousands in some cases) extra dollars per month in increases, all the while I'm drawing MILLIONS into my bank account.
That's only because you have a conscience.

I, (& I think -=d=-), don't have a problem with companies making a profit, CEO's doing their jobs, shareholders getting a good return on their investment. It's the fact they rape their customers to get them. They will raise the prices as high as they want because we can't do without it. There's always an 'energy shortage' in the winter because people can't survive without heat. Kid's clothing & shoes are outlandish .I'd be rich if I didn't have to eat.
My grandfather had an article about a crop of potatoes that had been dumped and poison spread over them to keep the price at an acceptable high. That was many years ago. I don't think we've improved.

The price we have to pay for gas could go considerably higher if the price for crude per barrel doubles what it is today, as some analysts are predicting.

Oil Prices Surge to New Records
April 1, 2005

Oil traders say the ratio of global supply to demand is tight

Crude oil prices hit record levels on Friday, with leading investment bank Goldman Sachs warning the cost of a barrel could eventually top $100. Goldman Sachs said that the oil market may be in the early stages of a "super spike", which could push prices as high as $105 a barrel.

It said strong global demand, allied to potential instability in oil producing countries, could inflate prices.

US light crude rose as much as $2.40 to $57.70 a barrel in New York.

By the close, the price had slipped back to $57.27 a barrel.

The previous high was $57.60, set on 17 March.

In London, the benchmark contract of Brent crude climbed $2.22, or 4.1%, to $56.51 a barrel.

"There are real concerns about product availability, that's what is underpinning the strength of the market at the moment," said Kevin Norrish, an analyst at Barclays Capital.

The last time prices were at these levels, economists highlighted the potential dangers to global economic growth and inflation.

Oil production cartel Opec was prompted to lift production quotas by 500,000 barrels a day.

In its report, Goldman Sachs said the possibility of political turmoil in major oil producers such as Saudi Arabia could lead to a significant rise in prices over the long-term.

for full article http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4399537.stm

-=d=- said:
"Last year I made $100,000,000. This year, i only made $90,000,000. I've 'Lost' $10,000,000. I'd better raise prices of my product!"

Greed.
Last year Joe made 30k. This year he made 27k. He lost 3k. He asked for a raise. Greed? Poor example D.

Lots of bitching with no solutions----are people avoiding saying that they want the government to step in and control fuel prices?

Not me dillo. All I'd like to see the Government do is step up and say,
we're going to DRILL here, here and here and focus on alternatives fuels.
NOW, not tomorrow or 10 yrs from now, because the economic future of this Country
depends on energy.

This has all mostly been ignored since the gas crunch in the early 70s. Now dim chickens may come home to roost anyday now. I don't wanna feed em, I wanna eat em!

Mr. P said:
Not me dillo. All I'd like to see the Government do is step up and say,
we're going to DRILL here, here and here and focus on alternatives fuels.
NOW, not tomorrow or 10 yrs from now, because the economic future of this Country
depends on energy.

This has all mostly been ignored since the gas crunch in the early 70s. Now dim chickens may come home to roost anyday now. I don't wanna feed em, I wanna eat em!

When the government decides where private oil companies can drill, isn't that intervention in a way?

Mr. P said:
Not me dillo. All I'd like to see the Government do is step up and say, we're going to DRILL here, here and here and focus on alternatives fuels. NOW, not tomorrow or 10 yrs from now, because the economic future of this Country depends on energy.

I'm with you on that. The price of everything is increasing because of the increase in price for crude oil. It's time America frees itself from the slavery we have been in for years to the oil-producing countries, and time to light a fire under our elected representatives. I hope the trucking industry and the airlines begin to take some action on this. I'll bet if Congress gets as much mail over this as they did over the Schiavo case we'll begin to see some serious discussion/action on oil prices.

Adam's Apple said:
I'm with you on that. The price of everything is increasing because of the increase in price for crude oil. It's time America frees itself from the slavery we have been in for years to the oil-producing countries, and time to light a fire under our elected representatives. I hope the trucking industry and the airlines begin to take some action on this. I'll bet if Congress gets as much mail over this as they did over the Schiavo case we'll begin to see some serious discussion/action on oil prices.
I think you're right...I think the mail will flow at $3 /gal for regular which may not be too far away, it's (yesterday) $2.10 here and I know that's less than alot of people are paying.

Mr. P said:
I think you're right...I think the mail will flow at $3 /gal for regular which may not be too far away, it's (yesterday) $2.10 here and I know that's less than alot of people are paying.

What are you expecting the mail to say? Dear Feds---lower the price of gas ?

"Dear Congess,

I can point out all the problems around me, you have to do something about it, because I elected you (I promise not to complain when special interest groups pay you under the table to look after their interests, and not mine).

Do something, please....

Yours truly, Dilloduck"

It's easy to point out the problems, but it requires action to change things....be a part of the solution! Take action, or shut yer pie hole!

Mr. P said:
Are you going to be a MORON this weekend? Say whatever you will in your mail. My position was stated last page.

I'm asking a serious question here and your being an ass about it---are you saying that we should tell our federal reps to pass laws that make it legal for oil companies to drill whereever they want?

WE would be independent of the big producers out there...when we have the resources in this hemisphere!

ANWR, off the CA coast, WY, MT OK, TX the gulf of Mexico...not to mention the strategic alliances we should foster within this hemisphere.

Offer incentives to me to get rid of my HEMI, and move toward something more ecologically friendly!

dilloduck said:
I'm asking a serious question here and your being an ass about it---are you saying that we should tell our federal reps to pass laws that make it legal for oil companies to drill whereever they want?
No, they should lead the way to becoming energy self-sufficient.
If that means passing law on where drilling may occur in the short term
while alternatives are developed, so be it.
The economic future of the Country is at stake here, there really isn't a choice.

Mr. P said:
No, they should lead the way to becoming energy self-sufficient.
If that means passing law on where drilling may occur in the short term
while alternatives are developed, so be it.
The economic future of the Country is at stake here, there really isn't a choice.

So national interest should take precedence over states rights in this one particular instance?

Adam's Apple said:
To help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...

Think a gallon of gas is expensive? This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.

So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, Whiteout, or, God forbid, Pepto Bismol or Nyquil.

The gallon price comparison of different products is interesting however pointless. A person does not buy 20 gallons of Nyquil to help with cold symptoms.

Forum List

Back