Gary Johnson's advice to Republicans

Apr 17, 2011
If you are gonna go after Obamacare, then you should also fervently go after the gigantic entitlement (to big Pharma) that you passed under Bush in 2003, called Medicare Part D.

Its not about consistency or principles, is it?

If you are gonna go after Obamacare, then you should also fervently go after the gigantic entitlement (to big Pharma) that you passed under Bush in 2003, called Medicare Part D.

What do you mean?

• Banned
What do you mean?

The welfare bill to big Pharma that Republicans passed back in 2003. Why aren't rw kooks going after Medicare Part D and only going after Obamacare?

According to the latest actuaries’ report, Medicare Part D will cost taxpayers — beneficiaries pay virtually nothing — $62 billion this year [2010]. This figure is expected to rise sharply in coming years to $150 billion in 2019. By 2030, Part D alone will cost taxpayers 1 percent of GDP. In present value terms, Medicare Part D adds almost $16 trillion to our national indebtedness. (That’s how much would need to be in a trust fund today to pay all the benefits that have been promised over and above the trivial premiums paid by beneficiaries.) That is why former U.S. Comptroller General David Walker has called the unfunded prescription drug benefit “the most fiscally irresponsible piece of legislation since the 1960s.”

The prescription drug plan is about the worst giveaway you could imagine, just a pure, unadulterated sop to a bunch of politically connected voters...

... As Bartlett points out, George Bush and the House Republicans (including Speaker-elect John Boehner and budget whiz Paul Ryan) who voted overwhelmingly for it didn't even bother to pretend they were going to pay for it with tax hikes or spending cuts (kudos to Sen. John McCain and the handful of other Republicans who voted against it in the Senate).

Happy Birthday, Medicare Part D! Now Die! Die! Die! - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

However, its more about Obamacare than consistency of principles, right?

Last edited:
The welfare bill to big Pharma that Republicans passed back in 2003. Why aren't rw kooks going after Medicare Part D and only going after Obamacare?

Those were ‘RINOs’ and other rightwing heretics – just pay attention to what conservatives are saying today, forget the past.

Those were ‘RINOs’ and other rightwing heretics – just pay attention to what conservatives are saying today, forget the past.

"Honest honey, this time I've changed, I swear! You'll see, if you just take me back, I'll never hit you again."

I've been wanting all new spending created since 2001 killed off. Including Homeland Security and the TSA. Fuck em.

• Banned

I am listening to actual conservatives. I just made a post about it. You can find it here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/171937-gary-johnsons-advice-to-republicans.html#post3767808. Or are you going to say that Gary Johnson is not a conservative?

Why forget the past? It is not better to learn from it than to repeat the same mistakes? Or are you too ashamed to look at the past?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, Gary who? And his opinion matters why?

Oh yea he's the little boy crying in the corner cause CNN didn't invite him to the party so now he has to stir up nothing to get attention.

Nothing to see here move along folks....

I'm sorry, Gary who? And his opinion matters why?

Oh yea he's the little boy crying in the corner cause CNN didn't invite him to the party so now he has to stir up nothing to get attention.

Nothing to see here move along folks....

I love it! RW kooks getting called out by an actual fiscally conservative candidate.

It hurts, eh?

I'm sorry, Gary who?

Here is your card.

* Left office with New Mexico as one of the only four states in the country with a balanced budget
* Left New Mexico with a budget surplus
* Used Line Item Veto thousands of times to trim the budget
* Vetoed 750 bills during his time in office; more than all other governors combined
* Cut over 1,200 government jobs without firing anyone
* Created more than 20,000 new jobs
* First New Mexico Governor to challenge education status quo and propose statewide voucher program
* Restored State General Fund reserves to more than $222 million from a low of $28.1 million
* Limited annual state budget growth to 5.0% during eight years in office
* Cut taxes 14 times while never raising them—a first for New Mexico
* Vetoed 32% of the total number of bills submitted for his signature

Track Record

What do you mean?

According to the latest actuaries’ report, Medicare Part D will cost taxpayers — beneficiaries pay virtually nothing — $62 billion this year [2010]. This figure is expected to rise sharply in coming years to $150 billion in 2019. By 2030, Part D alone will cost taxpayers 1 percent of GDP. In present value terms, Medicare Part D adds almost $16 trillion to our national indebtedness. (That’s how much would need to be in a trust fund today to pay all the benefits that have been promised over and above the trivial premiums paid by beneficiaries.) That is why former U.S. Comptroller General David Walker has called the unfunded prescription drug benefit “the most fiscally irresponsible piece of legislation since the 1960s.”

The prescription drug plan is about the worst giveaway you could imagine, just a pure, unadulterated sop to a bunch of politically connected voters...

... As Bartlett points out, George Bush and the House Republicans (including Speaker-elect John Boehner and budget whiz Paul Ryan) who voted overwhelmingly for it didn't even bother to pretend they were going to pay for it with tax hikes or spending cuts (kudos to Sen. John McCain and the handful of other Republicans who voted against it in the Senate).

Happy Birthday, Medicare Part D! Now Die! Die! Die! - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

However, its more about Obamacare than consistency of principles, right?

The moment PAYGO expired, Bush and PHARMA jammed it through congress.

Chumps. Every fucking one of us.

That's fantastic. Did you tout Palins achievements like that or just bitch about her hair and wardrobe?

lol....I think you had a little too much booze when you start comparing Palin to Johnson. Palin is and idiot an doesn't have a track record of actual fiscal conservatism.

However, I am curious. Why do you think that Palin's achievements as governor stacks up to Johnson's achievements? Mind you this, Johnson's was a governor of a Blue State, beat an incumbent Democrat, and got re-elected.

Last edited:

Ask Paul Ryan. He voted for Medicare Part D.

Keep in mind, the Republicans are ONLY acting the way they act now, all this born-again fiscal responsibility fundamentalism...

...because they're out of power. Give these clowns a Republican president and Senate, and it'll be 2003 all over again.

I heard the other day that Gary Johnson is the only one in the race who has net positive poll numbers in his home state.

According to Public Policy Polling, but they left out Ron Paul and focused on Rick Perry
Public Policy Polling: GOP candidates unpopular at home

Keep in mind, the Republicans are ONLY acting the way they act now, all this born-again fiscal responsibility fundamentalism...

...because they're out of power. Give these clowns a Republican president and Senate, and it'll be 2003 all over again.

I know. That is why I call them rw kooks. They always find their fiscal conservatism when they are out of power, but do the exact opposite when they are in power. They did this during Clinton and every single one of them voted against his 1933 Omnibus Act, which was a practice in fiscal conservatism. However, it slightly increased the marginal income tax, which they "foresaw" severe economic catastrophic.

Modern day Republicans have a history of being on the wrong side of fiscal conservatism.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back