Gardening Help Thread.

Sorry I can't help. No garden this year for me :(. No scallions, no corn, no peppers, no radishes, no tomatoes. I have strawberries, but can't eat them so I give them to the birds when ripe. My two crows that visit LOVE them.

But I wish you luck! We are still on water restriction here. Sigh.

Sorry I can't help. No garden this year for me :(. No scallions, no corn, no peppers, no radishes, no tomatoes. I have strawberries, but can't eat them so I give them to the birds when ripe. My two crows that visit LOVE them.

But I wish you luck! We are still on water restriction here. Sigh.
Sorry to hear that.............Just built a 4 foot by 16 foot raised garden............ready to plant and we've got a bunch of plants ready to go into it..........Strawberries, Cantalope, tomatoes, etc...............just trying to find a way to keep the deer out, rabbits.......etc..........without having to fence in the world............LOL

I'm trying what I posted with the Blood meal.............hoping it will work............

Found this site.........Farmers Almanac..........with some natural pest control measures.........

Bought the Blood Meal and diatomaceous earth today for the garden...........according to the almanac.......the blood meal repels deer and rabbits................without a fence..............

Gonna try it...............
22 Ways To Combat Garden Pests Naturally - Farmers' Almanac

1. Birds consume lots of insects and are a natural and attractive garden resident. Lure bug-eating birds to your garden area by placing a birdbath regularly filled with fresh water. This will also deter them from picking a tomato for the juice. Erect a bird feeder close by as well. Keep it filled with seeds in late autumn through early spring. Thus, the garden will be their existing haven and when summer rolls around they will feed on the insects at hand.

2. Guinea fowl set loose in the garden or lawn will eat ticks, hornworms, and Japanese beetles. Most won’t scratch or ruin plants or eat the vegetables as chickens may.

3. Dust green beans with garden lime to repel Japanese beetles.

4. Food-grade diatomaceous earth acts as a natural, abrasive barrier to crawling insects. Sprinkle food-grade diatomaceous earth beneath growing watermelon, cantaloupe, squash and all fruits and vegetables resting on the ground, as well as on plant leaves.

5. To deter cabbage moths (worms) from eating the leaves of cabbage, Brussels sprouts or kale, add 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper to 1 quart of water. Place in a spray bottle and apply to leaves, stems and the ground directly surrounding each plant.

6. Grasshoppers and aphids cause havoc in flowerbeds and vegetable gardens. Here’s a repelling spray you can make: Blend 2 – 4 hot peppers, 1 mild green pepper, and 1 small onion and one quart jar of water. Pour mixture into a bottle with a spray nozzle and apply as needed.

7. An all-purpose pest-control spray can easily be made by adding 2 teaspoon liquid detergent to warm water in a spray bottle.

8. Stop squirrels from digging up planted corn with a mixture of 2 tablespoons liquid fish fertilizer to a gallon of water sprayed on rows.

9. Discourage bigger pests such as a cat or dog from entering flower or garden beds by erecting lots of thin sticks or plastic forks in the ground among the seed beds, and surrounding young, tender plant starts. This leaves no room for animals to dig or disturb the plants, helping them get a good start.

10. Scatter dried blood meal (available at any home and garden center) on the ground between rows of vegetables in the garden every week to 10 days to deter deer. This works for rabbit and groundhogs, too. However, the blood meal tends to attract dogs. Sprinkle garden lime on top of the blood meal to repel the dogs.

11. Bright orange tape wrapped around stakes surrounding your garden plot has been known to keep moose away.

12. Keep raccoons, skunks and snakes out of the garden by applying a wide stripe of gardem lime around the garden perimeter. When an unwanted critter licks off the lime it will experience an unpleasant burning sensation, and hopefully leave the garden.
I've heard of successes with the various spray on mixtures. Most must be reapplied after it rains. Coyote urine is said to repell some critters. (Alas, the readily available human urine is said to do nothing.)

My ducks wander through the garden to eat bugs, but they have big feet and can stomp on tender growth. Guinea are even better bug eaters, have less clumsy feet, but they are quite noisy.

I'm going to try the plastic fork tip. Thanks!

Forum List

Back