Gardening Help Thread.

eagle1462010

Diamond Member
May 17, 2013
Okay.................I've built and will build some raised bed gardens............

Does anyone know the best fencing for the dollar to keep deer and small critters out............

I was thinking of going with t posts and 48inch small critter fence.........but then I saw this stuff......

5452-low-pest-fence.jpg

Easy Gardner fencing......

Anybody used this stuff..........and will it keep the critters and deer out?
:dunno:

To kill and keep moles out plant Castor Bean plants around the garden, all parts of the castor bean plant are poisonous to eat but not to touch. The root of the castor bean plant is used to make the deadly poison ricin but the roots taste good to moles.

Deer is totally different problem and deer won't eat castor bean plants. Deer easily jump farm fences and I gave up trying to keep them out of my vegetable garden. I planted a side garden with field corn. I did not harvest the field corn and let it stand during winter and my new deer friends were visitors during the morning hours of winter. I did not have the heart to kill a deer.

Deer can jump that easily. The narrower width of raised beds might discourage them though. I always put my raised beds inside the tilled garden to keep critters away. I'm using 6ft welded wire and with wood posts and bracing for the corners and t posts for the middle. I could use t posts for the whole thing but I like the wood look and the ability to hammer crap into them.

To kill and keep moles out plant Castor Bean plants around the garden, all parts of the castor bean plant are poisonous to eat but not to touch. The root of the castor bean plant is used to make the deadly poison ricin but the roots taste good to moles.

Deer is totally different problem and deer won't eat castor bean plants. Deer easily jump farm fences and I gave up trying to keep them out of my vegetable garden. I planted a side garden with field corn. I did not harvest the field corn and let it stand during winter and my new deer friends were visitors during the morning hours of winter. I did not have the heart to kill a deer.
I'm planning on getting some fencing today.............as my wive is ready to plant the seedlings that are ready to grow..........starting in a 4 foot by 16 foot raised bed I already have built....................but she will not plant until I get something around it to stop the critters..............

Unsure the best way..........so it keeps out the deer...........and I've seen deer jump high fences..............

Thanks for the input......didn't know that about the moles..............

Deer can jump that easily. The narrower width of raised beds might discourage them though. I always put my raised beds inside the tilled garden to keep critters away. I'm using 6ft welded wire and with wood posts and bracing for the corners and t posts for the middle. I could use t posts for the whole thing but I like the wood look and the ability to hammer crap into them.
I was considering the 4 x 4 approach also..........gonna have to have 2 of them for sure and build a gate for the area.................

Can the deer jump the 6 footer.............seems they can jump just about anything...........or is there some kind of product that will keep them out like a simple scent hanging thingy.........or something...............

What about this stuff..............

willowgarden2.jpg
That willow screen might work if you had some support behind it. It would look a lot better imo too.
I was thinking about this stuff.................

Shop Backyard X-Scapes 0.203-in Dia x 6-ft H x 16-ft L Natural Rolled Peeled Reed Fencing at Lowes.com

Just not sure..............I agree it would look better than the metal fencing...........

They have bamboo fencing as well.........but it's a lot more...............got to do something soon or I'm in the dog house.........

I was considering the 4 x 4 approach also..........gonna have to have 2 of them for sure and build a gate for the area.................

Can the deer jump the 6 footer.............seems they can jump just about anything...........or is there some kind of product that will keep them out like a simple scent hanging thingy.........or something...............
I have never had a problem with deer jumping any of the fences. Occasionally, I do see them jumping things that make me wonder if my fence is high enough though.:)

In Georgia they have to put chicken wire (fence) around the chicken yard and cover the top with chicken wire to keep the hawks from killing chickens amongst other critters.

That first fence pictured ought to keep rabbits out. Planting stuff for the deer to eat in a separate area also helps. Some say if you put a fence around the fence around the garden within 4-5 feet the deer won't jump it because they don't like to jump twice so quickly- not sure if that's true. The deer don't bother my garden because they have plenty to eat, including the apples off my apple trees...

That first fence pictured ought to keep rabbits out. Planting stuff for the deer to eat in a separate area also helps. Some say if you put a fence around the fence around the garden within 4-5 feet the deer won't jump it because they don't like to jump twice so quickly- not sure if that's true. The deer don't bother my garden because they have plenty to eat, including the apples off my apple trees...
We planted an apple tree.......the deer ate it............it's dead now........the pear tree is still ok though........LOL

They broke the apple tree in 2.............eating the bark off of it.........

willowgarden2.jpg
That willow screen might work if you had some support behind it. It would look a lot better imo too.

Shop Backyard X-Scapes 0.203-in Dia x 6-ft H x 16-ft L Natural Rolled Peeled Reed Fencing at Lowes.com

Just not sure..............I agree it would look better than the metal fencing...........

They have bamboo fencing as well.........but it's a lot more...............got to do something soon or I'm in the dog house.........

That looks like it would work. It has wire woven into it as well. Kind of expensive considering it is only 16 feet. But then again it does look a lot better than just wire and is probably A LOT easier to work with. You wont need much if it's a small area anyway.

In Georgia they have to put chicken wire (fence) around the chicken yard and cover the top with chicken wire to keep the hawks from killing chickens amongst other critters.

I think that is a problem anywhere you have chickens and hawks. Neighbor just lost one a couple days ago to a hawk.

I had an orchard too with Jonathan and Delicious apples.

We planted an apple tree.......the deer ate it............it's dead now........the pear tree is still ok though........LOL

They broke the apple tree in 2.............eating the bark off of it.........
Deer will absolutely ravage fruit trees. They will stand on their hind legs and with their front legs on the trees to get low hanging fruit. Try protective netting that goes over the tree and extends out a couple feet past its widest point. It won't have to stay on there forever, just long enough so they won't kill the thing.

willowgarden2.jpg

That looks like it would work. It has wire woven into it as well. Kind of expensive considering it is only 16 feet. But then again it does look a lot better than just wire and is probably A LOT easier to work with. You wont need much if it's a small area anyway.

I think that is a problem anywhere you have chickens and hawks. Neighbor just lost one a couple days ago to a hawk.
It will take about 4 rolls for the the raised bed I built already........it's 4 by 16 and I'd have to give her about 4 foot around it to be able to walk around it............or I could go a little bigger and go 16 wide and 20 long to put a narrow planting section along the fence inside the fenced in area.....................gonna be looking today more than likely.

Forum List

Back